Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: help identifying a metal
pepsimax
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-1-2015 at 11:56
help identifying a metal

So I was given quite a high end airsoft pistol as a gift frol a friend moving to another country. It looks terribly realistic so I thought I'd colour it as not to get shot by the police.

This is chemistry after all so I thought I'd anodise it bright pink. However the metal violently fizzes in any caustic or acid media. What could it be?

It's only the top slide I'd like to colour.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 13-1-2015 at 12:46

Sounds like aluminum or some alloy thereof.

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 13-1-2015 at 12:49

Sounds like zinc (or zamak). In that case anodizing is out, and you'll find that it's not always that easy to get paint to stick either. To blacken zinc you can use 50g of copper sulfate and 50g sodium chloride per liter of water, this patina could possibly work as a primer for paint as well.
pepsimax
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-1-2015 at 14:46

I think you're correct fulmen, I presumed it was aluminum but it wouldn't anodise obviously. Tried to plate some copper onto it and it turned black with green foam.

How can I get a brightly colored coating on? I'd like it plated or something, paints the last call. Good shoult on the primer idea though.

[Edited on 13-1-2015 by pepsimax]
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 13-1-2015 at 15:56

I don't know much about plating, but I think you need an alkaline "strike" bath. These are usually cyanide-based, but there are non-cyanide alkaline copper formulations that could work.
pepsimax
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-1-2015 at 23:33

Hmmm, I have some gold cyanide solution....

Thought about it but I may grt confused with a cartel boss :)

Thanks for the help!

Ps, just remembered I have some silver CN too. Seems a bit of a waste but if I plated it silver then would standard acid copper go right over the top?

There's about 2g of precious metal in both solutions, bit less in the gold ss I've plated a few small items for novelty.

E- for anyone interested in plating, snipped this from from finishing.com (great site!)

"Q: We want to replace our cyanide copper strike bath with a non-cyanide based strike bath. Are there any such baths available, and do they work? K. M. A: Yes, there are a number of non-cyanide copper strike baths that work well. Your best bet is to go to www.pfonline.com and search the vendor database under copper plating. There are a large number of vendors listed and a number of these companies do offer what you are looking for. It has been my experience that these non-cyanide copper strikes work well and in most cases are an excellent replacement for the classic strike bath. "

[Edited on 14-1-2015 by pepsimax]

[Edited on 14-1-2015 by pepsimax]
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 14-1-2015 at 11:08

No matter what the gun looks like if it doesn't have a red safety identifier on the end of the barrel you could get shot. Of course it is just a matter of time before some criminal puts a red safety identifier on a real gun and shoots a cop. Then that is out the window too.
pepsimax
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-1-2015 at 11:28

The rules are different in England, I can legally own this gun as it is as it was gifted to me but if I bought it new the top slide would have to be a bright colour.

You need to be a registered airsoft player (wgich I don't care for) to buy a full black imitation gun. I'm under no legal obligation to colour the gun, I'd just rather not attract attention or scare people. It's very accurate so target shooting can be quite fun.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 06:09

i recall having seen a magnesium slide, add a drop of vinegar on a spot you have scraped free from oxide to see if it is magnesium..
otherwise zinc may be a great bet.. but the green foaming?? sounds really weird, perhaps it contains some nickel or chromium?? a picture perhaps?

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html

Go To Top