Author: Subject: Gas-phase carbon deposits
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 21-1-2015 at 18:58
Gas-phase carbon deposits

Magnesium and dry ice can undergo a pyrotechnic redox reaction:
2Mg + CO2 -> 2 MgO + C

I assumed that this would be taking place in the gas phase, with burning magnesium vaporizing the metal and the dry ice, and the two reacting at high temperature upon mixing. This made me wonder: what form would the solid carbon take?

So, I mixed ~ 50% stoichiometric excess powdered dry ice (a lot sublimes while igniting) with magnesium powder and lit it with a blow torch in an aluminum weigh boat. I disgested the residue with hydrochloric acid for a couple days to remove magnesium oxide and any aluminum from the container, then filtered and left to dry.

I photographed them with the SEM:

carbon_residue_50x.jpg - 549kB

There's a lot of variation in the sorts of shapes, including crystals (sand contamination?) and various foamy, flakey grains:

carbon_residue_400x_001.jpg - 521kB

I found one in particular to be interesting, with a sort of veined honeycomb structure:

carbon_residue_400x_002.jpg - 607kB carbon_residue_1600x.jpg - 588kB

Not sure if it tells me anything about the reaction processes... but it's cool looking!

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
chironex
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-10-2016 at 09:51

Huh that's actually some really cool looking structures. It looks a lot like the chemical vapour deposition reactions of carbon that tend to form graphene and stuff. I'd bet a small quantity of that carbon is graphitic. It woulda been cool to see what sort of conductivity that material had. This whole thing seems like a really interesting way to generate high surface area carbon structures.
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 2-11-2016 at 12:09

Quote: Originally posted by chironex  
It woulda been cool to see what sort of conductivity that material had.

That is a good idea; I might make some more and find out. I wonder how I would standardize the measurement though? A line of loose powder vs. a compacted pellet would likely have different values due to the difference in contact between particles, for example

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez

Go To Top