Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help with new vacuum pump
tandpasta
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 22-1-2015 at 06:16
Help with new vacuum pump

I managed to acquire a rotary vane vacuum pump for cheap. It's a Leybold-Heraeus S1,5, an old model which should be able to reach 3 Pa / 0.023 torr / 0.03 mbar. It's ALMOST the same as this one: http://www.leybold-shop.com/physics/physics-equipment-21/mec...

I managed to learn some general info on vacuum pumps, but I was hoping I could get some specific help with this one, as there's no manual and I've never used a vacuum pump before.

I presume the bottom red knob is where the pump oil is drained, and the little window is there to monitor the oil level.

I think the red knob is where the oil can be refilled, and the little piece of pipe next to it is the exhaust, which needs to be vented outside (or elaborately filtered). The big thing on the right is a dust filter that came with the device, it's mounted on the inlet.

Does this sound correct? EDIT: I've found a manual for a newer version of the pump, What I've stated above is correct.

Do I buy the pump oil from the manufacturer, or can I buy another brand somewhere else?

I think I can use this pump for (freeze) drying stuff and doing vacuum destillation and vacuum filtration. Though the liquid vapor needs to be removed first.

But, do I need both an inlet filter to prevent backflow of pump oil AND a cold trap? Will a cold trap stop oil backflow?

Are there specific cold trap designs that are better than others? Is a round bottom flask one inferior to a stainless steel one? I'll probably use ethanol + dry ice, as I've read that acetone + dry ice is dangerous.

Thanks for your patience :D

[Edited on 22-1-2015 by tandpasta]

Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 22-1-2015 at 09:42

You might want to call the company and request a manual. Also, think about replacement parts.

Definitely, call the company.

I am currently rebuilding a GAST vacuum pump.

[Edited on 22-1-2015 by Loptr]
tandpasta
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-1-2015 at 11:39

I've found a manual for a newer version of the pump (same thing, essentially). But most of my questions aren't answered by it.

I don't think it's worth the hassle and money to get replacement parts. I paid around €60 for the pump. A repair set from Leybold costs €200.

Go To Top