Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Trying to understand Bond energies
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-1-2015 at 07:28

A Brief question, but first I want to make sure I have understood all the concepts involved correctly. Looking at the Cl atom

Looking at the energy levels and orbital structures of the Chloride atom there are 3 energy levels and 2 subshells and 9 orbitals. These are made up of 3 spherical spins, and 6 'Two bladed' propeller spins (my description). The S and P blocks on the periodic table are now easy to visulalise, in fact there is a fantastic demonstration here, a bit funky but very good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-jNgq16jEY

So then Gallium:
going along the periodic table we get 1S(2) 2S(2) 2P(6) 3S(2) 3P(6) 4S(2) 3d(10) 4P(1)
So we have 4 energy levels (represented by 4 circles in a drawing), 16 orbitals where the d is a sort of clover shape containing 4 orbitals for example.

So my question, a bit unclear about terminology, a lot of people are using the term 'sub levels' and I prefer to see them as orbitals, some people are using the term 'shells' when I prefer to see them as energy levels, and finally I see energy levels and orbitals, and can not really see 'subshells' even though people are using these terms my terms help me to visualise things better, I know that "subshells" contain for example in chloride atom the 2P x,y,z and the 3P x,y,z but these are just extra orbitals within that energy level; So am I perhaps not conforming, is there anything wrong here?

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-1-2015 at 11:32

Firstly, for clarity refer to atomic orbitals by s, p, d (and f) with small letters, not capitals.

Secondly, the filling of orbitals is indicated by means of an exponent: e.g. s<sup>0</sup> (empty s orbital), s<sup>1</sup> (1 electron or half filled) and s<sup>2</sup> (2 electrons or full orbital).

The number preceding s, p or d (or f) indicates what you call the shell. 1 represents the inner most shell, 2 the one 'on top' of that one, 3 the one 'on top' of 2, etc. 4d<sup>5</sup> for example would refer to 5 electrons in the same d orbital on shell 4.

These notations are conventional, please try and stick to them (it's all hard enough w/o people making up their own scribblings).

s orbitals have no suborbitals and can contain 0 (empty), 1 (half full) or 2 (full) electrons.

p orbitals are made up of three suborbitals termed p<sub>x</sub>, p<sub>y</sub> and p<sub>z</sub>. Each of these can contain 0, 1 or 2 electrons. The 'total' p orbital can thus accomodate 6 electrons (full p orbital)

d orbitals are made up of 5 suborbitals (you'll find the exact denominations of the d suborbitals in google) that can each contain 0, 1 or 2 electrons. The 'total' d orbital can thus accomodate 10 electrons (full d orbital)

Orbital filling of atoms (as one goes from H to He to Li etc etc) follows Hund's Rule and the Pauli exclusion principle, in short the Aufbau principle.

<b>Very important note:</b>

In chemical reactions only the outermost electrons take part. These are the so-called valence electrons. For aluminium for instance which is a Period 3 element, only orbitals with the shell number 3 preceding the orbital symbol can take part in chemical bonding. In the case of Al the orbitals 3s<sup>2</sup> and 3p<sup>1</sup> are the valence electrons. The inner shells 1 and 2 are far too tightly bound to the nucleus to be able to form any molecular orbitals. This is also the reason the electron configuration of Al is often noted as [Ne]3s<sup>2</sup> 3p<sup>1</sup>. meaning 'the electron configuration of neon plus 3s<sup>2</sup> and 3 p<sup>1</sup>'.

Energy levels of atomic orbitals:

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/properties/atomorbs.html

Scroll down to about 3 quarters, to the energy schematic, which gives the relative energy levels of the atomic orbitals. Electrons fill these from low to high as the atomic number Z of the nucleus increases.

Full suborbitals contain 2 electrons maximum, one with spin +1/2, one with spin -1/2 (this is also true of molecular orbitals).

[Edited on 30-1-2015 by blogfast25]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top