Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Copper and zinc sulfate fumes warning!!!!
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

shocked.gif posted on 26-1-2015 at 06:55
Copper and zinc sulfate fumes warning!!!!

I boiled a beaker that had a solution of copper (ii) sulfate, and a little zinc sulfate. And I must have stayed too close to it, because in the middle of the night I woke up with the "zinc chills" and now I have metal fume fever, 101 or 102F. Luckily zinc fever goes away pretty fast. Starting to get better, I had to stay home from school. And I'll probably have to spend the rest of my life getting cancer screening, since there was copper in there too.

I'm just thanking my lucky stars that I didn't inhale enough to get severe metal toxicity coma. It wasn't even in the MSDS!

[Edited on 26-1-2015 by Cou]
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 26-1-2015 at 07:15

What does Copper have to do with Cancer? Btw sorry to hear that, but coulda been a lot worse with different reagents.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 26-1-2015 at 07:16

Good that you start getting better.

I, however, do not think that your symptoms are from copper or zinc poisoning. If the metals are in a solution, then they do not easily escape from that solution, not even when hot. Zinc and copper only are marginally toxic for human beings.
I think that there is a coincidence and that you have some bad virus, which gives you a flu and makes you sick.

You also do not need cancer screening for the rest of your life.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 26-1-2015 at 07:18

After a thorough 1 minute of internet research, I think you'll be fine.. Personally BTW, I think you must have consumed the Zinc in some other form, maybe through skin, or oral or whatever. I don't understand how it could have fumed....
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-1-2015 at 07:19

Quote: Originally posted by Hawkguy  
What does Copper have to do with Cancer? Btw sorry to hear that, but coulda been a lot worse with different reagents.

And to think I almost decided to do the experiment with cadmium instead of zinc :o

The reason I think it's metal fume fever instead of a flu is because with the flu, I normally feel other symptoms along with the fever, like sore throat and stuffy nose... this is just a fever and nothing else.

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 26-1-2015 at 08:03

A fever and nothing else doesn't make it chemical poisoning, and even so, metal fume fever gives rise to a multitude of symptoms besides fever. I'm doubtful of you having metal fume fever from this given how incredibly common it is for members here to be working with copper and zinc. I was once certain that I had inhaled such a massive dose of ammonia as to cause illness, only it turned out everyone in my family got a cold soon after; I was just the first one to have it.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 26-1-2015 at 08:25

Build a fume hood ?

Saves all the wondering about what you just inhaled, and what the effects may be.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 26-1-2015 at 17:37

Plus one on the fume hood. I installed mine before I ordered one piece of equipment, and have plans to upgrade that soon.

I can tell you from 40 + years in the marine industry (boat building/repair) that toxins accumulate, and your bodies ability to process/tolerate them goes down. Just walking past a welding station or close to an area where copper bottom paint has been stripped give me headaches/fevers.

You do NOT want to take any chances with your health or your body.

FUME HOOD, and Respirator are mandatory. Some things never wash out in the laundry.
Just sayin'

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
maleic
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-1-2015 at 23:24

Why don't go for a professional check? Any guessing here will only delay the treatment.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 00:32

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  

FUME HOOD, and Respirator are mandatory. Some things never wash out in the laundry.

but the problem with a respirator is that you can't find one that will protect you from all chemicals.each chemical needs its type of respirator,and that can be a pain
I used to think before that that the "do it outside or in a fume hood" warnings in videos by nurdrage and others were for pussies but after a date with NO2 ,I have changed my outlook :(
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 07:05

You are just paranoid. What if you lacquered some wooden table in closed room or just inhaled cement powder all day in smaller quantities. Or wood dust which is also confirmed carcinogen. Or smoked few cigars. Get used to it. It's far harder to die, but staying careful is still important.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 09:30

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
I boiled a beaker that had a solution of copper (ii) sulfate, and a little zinc sulfate. And I must have stayed too close to it, because in the middle of the night I woke up with the "zinc chills" and now I have metal fume fever, 101 or 102F. Luckily zinc fever goes away pretty fast. Starting to get better, I had to stay home from school. And I'll probably have to spend the rest of my life getting cancer screening, since there was copper in there too.

I'm just thanking my lucky stars that I didn't inhale enough to get severe metal toxicity coma. It wasn't even in the MSDS!

If you believe that, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to you.

You simply can't get a disease from being close to a copper sulphate/zinc sulphate solution.

You're suffering from something else and need to see a doctor.

"It wasn't even in the MSDS!" Because being around such solutions doesn't pose a health risk!

[Edited on 27-1-2015 by blogfast25]

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 10:17

Zinc has to be heated to over 787C to become molten
and once molten you have to breath a fair amount of vapor.
Although you could have inhaled some of the copper sulfate
or zinc sulfate before it was in solution, the quantity is
probably insufficient to do harm.

In any case as others have said. SEE A DOCTOR.
And when you go make a list of all the chemicals that
you used for the three days before symptoms started.
It sounds like a virus but it could be chemical exposure.
It just seems unlikely to be metal fume fever.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 10:29

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

If you believe that, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to you.

You simply can't get a disease from being close to a copper sulphate/zinc sulphate solution.

You're suffering from something else and need to see a doctor.

"It wasn't even in the MSDS!" Because being around such solutions doesn't pose a health risk!

This comes full circle to a very real point. Perhaps the moral of this post...

There are lots of experiments throughout this forum, that I would love to replicate. I am in the process of stocking up on what I consider the "basics".
You all make these experiments sound, and look quite simple, and almost any goof ball that can follow direction, can do what is posted all around the forum, and the internet.

Here's the moral... If you do not understand the compounds / processes / resultant materials, and the resultant by products COMPLETELY... You most likely should NOT be attempting any part of this. Right down to, and including possessing any chemical. I have learned enough to know that simply storing two benign substances in the same vicinity can /will create a completely new, and potentially lethal compound.
I value what is left of my health, and my life so researching completely before purchasing or attempting any process is the first item on my "to do " list.

Follow my lead here Cou. I/We would all like to see you enjoy this hobby for many, many years to come.
Who knows... You might just be the guy that develops a cure for Zinc Sulfate sickness.:D

Zom.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 13:19

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
You might just be the guy that develops a cure for Zinc Sulfate sickness.:D

"Zinc sulfate is the inorganic compound with the formula ZnSO4 as well as any of three hydrates. It was historically known as "white vitriol". It is a colorless solid that is a common source of soluble zinc ions.[3]

It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, a list of the most important medication needed in a basic health system.[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_sulfate

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 13:34

It was a "tongue in cheek" comment.

My apologizes if it was miss-leading... Please don't attempt to cure us of health Cou.:)

Zom.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 15:06

Just posting to confirm that I'm alive :P

Fever is all gone and I feel normal, except my mouth tastes like metal throughout the day (seems to get better when I drink lots of water)

I read that zinc in the body is short-lived and has a biological half life of 4 months, 1 month for copper, unlike lead which stays in your body for decades (i won't touch any soluble lead compound with a 60 foot pole). Some remedies suggested to me are garlic cloves, activated carbon, and parsley

[Edited on 27-1-2015 by Cou]

[Edited on 27-1-2015 by Cou]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 15:19

Some remedies suggested to me are garlic cloves, activated carbon, and parsley

And don't forget rosemary and thyme. :mad:

No zinc ever entered your body, so STOP crapping on about that. This is supposed to be a forum about science, not about your petty belief systems.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 20:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I53HMZLrts

Zom.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 22:28

Oh nooooooo, you told armchair nutritionists about potential "heavy metal poisoning." Shred your documents. Head for the border. Don't stop.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 23:27

Just posting to confirm that I'm alive :P

Fever is all gone and I feel normal, except my mouth tastes like metal throughout the day (seems to get better when I drink lots of water)

I read that zinc in the body is short-lived and has a biological half life of 4 months, 1 month for copper, unlike lead which stays in your body for decades (i won't touch any soluble lead compound with a 60 foot pole). Some remedies suggested to me are garlic cloves, activated carbon, and parsley
An do not forget: These remedies only work at full moon. You're lucky, we have full moon after just a few days!

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Darkstar
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 23:39

Is this a science forum, or the health section of Yahoo Answers?

Seriously, dude, no offense, but I think you're kind of overreacting. You were heating copper and zinc sulfate, not metallic mercury... If you're really that concerned, go see a doctor.
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

Mood: Vivified!

[*] posted on 28-1-2015 at 00:40

If you really had this issue; I must be glowing with 99% chance of cancer. since 99% of my experiements deal with copper, zinc, aluminium or ammonia and a combo of all the above. My advise is go see a doc. They are would know more than us anyway. it is on the other hand the season to be sick. Woelen is right though. you would need to heat that solution well above 700C for it to MAYBE cause in issue. and if you don't belive us try this.

make a solution of Copper II chloride. Distill it. Add ammonia to end product. what happens? nothing...

I just made you read this very pointless signature. How does it feel?
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 28-1-2015 at 04:59

Sounds like you're suffering from hypochondriasis if anything, unless there's some other chemical you were exposed to and not telling us about. I'm very concerned that you are treating garlic, parsley, and activated carbon(What the heck would the carbon do in this case?) as reasonable solutions to a potential medical problem. This is quack medicine. When you inahle a heavy dose of nitrogen dioxide somewhere down the line, wolfsbane and cranberry juice aren't going to help you, I'm sorry to tell you. That's the point that you go see someone who has spent a large fraction of their life studying the SCIENCE, instead of reading through medieval fairytales.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-1-2015 at 06:36

Quote: Originally posted by Darkstar  
Seriously, dude, no offense, but I think you're kind of overreacting.

That's the understatement of the week.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top