Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: cadaverine
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 31-1-2015 at 12:10

The Volatile Chemist / Energetic Materials section I fail to see the attraction;)

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 31-1-2015 at 12:22

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
The Volatile Chemist / Energetic Materials section I fail to see the attraction;)

Haha, I actually haven't made anything energetic. Not that I haven't tried... I'm waiting till I own an industrial lab and have excuses :P

Darkstar
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 31-1-2015 at 12:36

Quote: Originally posted by CuReUS  

piperidine is in the list 1 of DEA,I think that means its illegal to possess of manufacture without permit

It's not illegal to possess in the US. (assuming that's where you're referring to) It just means its suppliers are tightly regulated and its sale is closely monitored. Iodine, safrole and benzaldehyde are also examples of List I chemicals. Are these illegal to purchase or possess? No. Are they more difficult to purchase than most chemicals? Yes.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 31-1-2015 at 14:42

They are illegal to manufacture without a permit though.
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 03:20

Quote: Originally posted by turd  

Quote:
that is so nice,so could someone please tell me why safrole is converted to isosafrole

So that oxidation gives you the phenylacetone and not the phenylpropionaldehyde. The smell is also (very) different.

but wont oxidation of safrole give a ketone,according to markonikoff rule or is marko not applied here at all ?
also,when you isomerise it and then oxidise it,won't it dance over to the benzylic carbon and form propiophenone instead of P2P.(I know it doesn't,but generally that's what everyone would expect it to do,as then the carbonyl carbon will be in resonance with the benzene ring)
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 05:55

Formally: alkene --(oxidation)--> epoxide --(hydrolysis)--> vicinal diol --(elimination)--> enol --(tautomery)--> ketone/aldehyde --(condensation)--> tar.

Which of the two OHs is more likely to eliminate?
jhonthebaptist
Daddy, can you cut his head off, just for me? Pretty please, daddy... On a nice platter?

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 08:53

Piperidine isn't illegal to posses, as long as its 500 grms or under and you don't have other things like, the bromobenzene, cyclohexanone, Mg, and such. (I think, not sure though) If it were totally illegal then everyone that has a pepper shaker would be subject to punishment. I have bought it before 9/11, bought a 1000ml for 80 bucks. But that was a long time ago, and I only used a few mls of it. ended up trading a wood splitter for the rest of the bottle.
Personally I was just curious about making it from cadaverine. There is a lot of scientific reports that are false, so I was wanting to verify/discredit the claim. I don't give a crap about what its used for because I like to be able to function and think.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 09:24

I've been unable to find any listing of pickardjr in member list. If I had, I could re-connect you with former ID- Assuming you were not banned or otherwise de-listed for cause.

Did you spell EXACTLY, and did you formerly capitalize or punctuate that?

Like:

Pickard jr.

for instance?

Totally missed whatever you deleted. And have no conception of why you want to "beat around the bush" & see who can figure out your actual interest...

I have used cadaverine. Part of the ingredients in a product our trainer called "Fred". Now I shall be the mysterious one!

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 09:35

Bert, he's here. https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/member.php?action=vie...
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 09:48

The same Pickardjr who had this as his first post?

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=24...

If so, U2U me.

[Edited on 1-2-2015 by Bert]

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 13:01

Yeesh the disrespect towards Solo in that thread bugs me a lot... Solo is a really respectable poster who really goes out of his way to share information with all of us. It wouldn't surprise me if the pickardjr account was banned...

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 13:29

I did not ban,did not find a ban in profile or moderator logs either.

Woelen let it go as a detritus and a warning, over 18 months back. (Before I was even a moderator!) I will not 2nd guess a senior moderator, especially on old business.

There was a story my father told about a pioneer, a mail order bride and a mule.

"That's once!".

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 2-2-2015 at 00:06

The Little Bride.

Zom.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-2-2015 at 00:30

turd ,but if the conversion of alkene to ketone was carried out by the wacker oxidation,ketone will form instead of aldehyde even for terminal alkenes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacker_process#Wacker.E2.80.93T...
I also found that people do the wacker on safrole itself,without isomerising it to iso-safrole.But "pickler" says that during wacker process,safrole is first converted to iso and then to P2P
http://chemistry.mdma.ch/hiveboard/methods/000332297.html
I think aldehydes will form from terminal alkenes if other reactions are used
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 02:20

I was obviously talking about the peracid oxidation (in reply to your answer why one would make isosafrole).

If you go the Wacker route you do not want isosafrole, but safrole. Isomerization is an unwanted side-recation, but this is not relevant with regard to your question.

I fail to see how all this relates to cadaverine and suggest you open a separate thread if you want to discuss oxidation of allyl-/propenylbenzenes to phenylpropanones.
JAVA
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 09:02

Maybe we can make a closed section: only real chemists are permitted to post with a knowledge test?
Cadaverine smells like......blurp.

There are better ways to make piperidine. //

See hyperlink below ;)

www.versuchschemie.de

"Keep sportive it's like Soccer: play on the ball, not on the players"
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 00:23

Quote: Originally posted by JAVA  
Maybe we can make a closed section: only real chemists are permitted to post with a knowledge test?

maybe you should learn to read english first.SM is primarily for amateur chemists, not ACS laureates.And why should only some people be given the power to test others.Its like racism in the scientific community.Some of the best posts here are from home chemists not PhD's :mad:
if you are so keen to write exams,let me U2U a few "questions" .We will all see how much knowledgeable you are:D
Quote:
Cadaverine smells like......blurp

remind me never to invite you for lunch:P
Quote:
See hyperlink below ;)

don't click the link,Its malware :o
Pickardjr
Harmless

Mood: vapor state

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 06:17

Im not really interested in the 101 ways to make piperidine. I wouldn't and didn't click the link in the upper post. I can not figure what the big deal is about this substance. When I preformed this experiment it was to prove/disprove the literature. The procedure is claimed to work, with a whopping yield of 1%. Feasibility is 0 % to use it in another reaction, I know this.
I'm aware of all the other ways to skin a cat, Im not interested. Just wanted to see if I could do it from lysine. I found out real quick. project scrapped. Please don not perpetuate bull-crap.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 11:35

Quote: Originally posted by JAVA  

maybe you should learn to read english first.SM is primarily for amateur chemists, not ACS laureates.And why should only some people be given the power to test others.Its like racism in the scientific community.Some of the best posts here are from home chemists not PhD's :mad:
if you are so keen to write exams,let me U2U a few "questions" .We will all see how much knowledgeable you are:D
Quote:
Cadaverine smells like......blurp

remind me never to invite you for lunch:P
Quote:
See hyperlink below ;)

don't click the link,Its malware :o

Figured as much... The link I mean. Perhaps Mr. Java could remove it?

There are few things as frustrating as an infected computer.
Just sayin':)

Zom.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 15:38

'Dat' malware. This place'd be a good way to distribute it, link to a supposed PDF of Vogel's 5th, and you've got thirty new infected computers :P

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 15:49

It's kind of a shot below the belt, and usually draws the same in return.
Not that anyone would do something like that on purpose...

sns-viral-below-the-belt-pictures.jpg - 15kB

Zom.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 02:44

Quote: Originally posted by Pickardjr  
. Just wanted to see if I could do it from lysine. I found out real quick. project scrapped.

I have an idea.perhaps you could try it out and tell the yields
first treat lysine with bleach to get 5-aminopentanal(strecker degradation)
then reflux the aminopentanal in HCOOH.the compond should cyclise and then the imime formed should get reduced by hydride donation from HCOOH
I always wondered why HCOOH was used to reduce imimes in one reaction(eschenweiler clark) and Al/Hg+acid was used in other reactions
also can Zn/HCOONH4 be used to reduce the imime instead of HCOOH alone .Maybe Zn catalyses the reaction
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 03:31

Bringing back an oldie.
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=27...
I'd been passingly curious how that ever turned out.

piperidine is in the list 1 of DEA,I think that means its illegal to possess of manufacture without permit...

...in some parts of the world, that are irrelevant to many of us (myself included).

The United Nations Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances ratified by 87 signatories and 189 parties in Vienna, 20 December 1988 is probably more relevant as a bit of an aside.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 04:46

Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  
The United Nations Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances ratified by 87 signatories and 189 parties in Vienna, 20 December 1988 is probably more relevant as a bit of an aside.

Pffffft. Couldn't care less. Quote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Convention_Agai...
Quote:
Table II

• acetone
  • anthranilic acid
  • diethyl ether
  • hydrochloric acid (hydrogen chloride)
  • methyl ethyl ketone
  • piperidine
  • sulphuric acid
  • toluene

With the exception of anthranilic acid I acquired all of the above chemicals in 250 ml+ quantitites - no questions asked. The whole notion of PCP/angel dust is completely obscure to people around these parts. Are you seriously trying to impress us by the fact that piperidine has the same legal status as acetone?
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 05:39

Pffffft. Couldn't care less.
I didn't ask.

Quote:
Table II

• acetone
  • anthranilic acid
  • diethyl ether
  • hydrochloric acid (hydrogen chloride)
  • methyl ethyl ketone
  • piperidine
  • sulphuric acid
  • toluene

With the exception of anthranilic acid I acquired all of the above chemicals in 250 ml+ quantitites - no questions asked.

I don't really care, nor is it relevant to whether it was done legally or not. In that exact same spirit, I'm not going to ask if your reagent list was supposed to impress me, as that's very achievable in the U.S. as well; however, that doesn't mean it will never have consequence to even an innocent purchaser.

Quote:
The whole notion of PCP/angel dust is completely obscure to people around these parts. Are you seriously trying to impress us by the fact that piperidine has the same legal status as acetone?
I'm just pointing out a law. No need to get reactive over it. If I were trying to impress people, I'd blather on about what I can get with a Form 222 or 225, but I would hope most people wouldn't pay any mind as that wasn't what I was trying to discuss. If you're not asking rhetorically to make an off-topic point, I am actually not particularly fond of most U.N. treaties or resolutions, but they are notably more applicable than U.S. law, which is what I stated (in continuation of the points you and CuReUS made), and members or browsers of the forum should at least be cognizant of this as it does have some impact on chemistry, as regrettable as that is.
People do post on here about how difficult it is to keep up with various government watch lists, and I doubt anyone considers how the U.N. is involved in the alphabet soup.
ex. (with acetone!): https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=36...
So unless anyone is still interested in discussing what I noted was an aside to the primary conversation, chemistry, do the two of us have more to discuss?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top