Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ammonia Nitrate from fertilizer?
shr3k
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 12:24
Ammonia Nitrate from fertilizer?

Hi Guys I gave up with the idea of trying to make ephedrine for now but seen some cool youtube videos on Ammonia Nitrate.

I have in the garage at the moment, 2 boxes of "Sulphate Of Ammonia" and 24~ kg of Urea 48% food Grade.

Interested in knowing if I can extract anything useful from either of these? No longer have use and would rather extract something useful then eventually throw them away.

Starting out so chemicals are hard to find, and very difficult to buy when you do. I found formaldehyde at a wholesalers and other cool-ish chemicals but mostly anything of real interest or fun is difficult to obtain without ending up with a house raid and being accused of cooking drugs!

I'm in the UK and apparently possession of just 1 chemical i.e Formaldehyde is enough to bring a case to court!!! So being careful :)

Thanks!

The "Sulphate of Ammonia" is Ammoniacal Nitrogen. Only 21% but I have 3kg of the stuff that will most likely be thrown away if no good!

Thanks
shr3k
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 12:35

Further reading, I looked up chemical makeup and "Sulphate of Ammonia" is literally Ammonium Sulphate just a fancy British Name...

It seams that Mixing Ammonia Sulphate with Sulphuric Acid Con. Will yield Ammonia Gas and Sulphuric Acid. I have Sulphuric acid in Patio Cleaner and a Bottle of 98% Sulphuric Acid (1 Litre).

Now just to see if the Urea is useful at all!
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 15:01

You could donate you stash to Mr. Aga's thread on making Nitric acid from air.

Maybe get an income tax credit...:D

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 15:09

Quote: Originally posted by shr3k  
I'm in the UK and apparently possession of just 1 chemical i.e Formaldehyde is enough to bring a case to court!!! So being careful :)

Thanks

1st post and already you're BS-ing. Formaldehyde is available w/o restrictions in the UK. Bonnymans sell 35 % in 25 L formats:

http://www.bonnymans.co.uk/products/product.php?categoryID=1...

[Edited on 1-2-2015 by blogfast25]

shr3k
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 15:38

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Thanks

1st post and already you're BS-ing. Formaldehyde is available w/o restrictions in the UK. Bonnymans sell 35 % in 25 L formats:

http://www.bonnymans.co.uk/products/product.php?categoryID=1...

Wow... No I'm not bullshitting, I was told just yesterday while at Agriculture Suppliers you needed a license to possess it. Maybe they were being overly cautious being new to the store.

I've been telling loads of people formaldehyde was illegal today... Damn
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 15:45

Wow... No I'm not bullshitting, I was told just yesterday while at Agriculture Suppliers you needed a license to possess it. Maybe they were being overly cautious being new to the store.

So because AS (who?) says so makes it true, right?

Before you come up with BS regarding banned stuff, do some research and try and quote specific legislation. There's enough mis/disinformation on the Tinkerwebs w/o us adding to it.

BTW: jokes abut 'making ephedrine' tend to go down like a lead balloon here. Think of that what you will.

shr3k
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 15:52

So because AS (who?) says so makes it true, right?

Before you come up with BS regarding banned stuff, do some research and try and quote specific legislation. There's enough mis/disinformation on the Tinkerwebs w/o us adding to it.

Understood and apologies, I'm still new to this and still trying to get basic chemicals, Probably a store policy then
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 15:59

Further reading, I looked up chemical makeup and "Sulphate of Ammonia" is literally Ammonium Sulphate just a fancy British Name...

It seams that Mixing Ammonia Sulphate with Sulphuric Acid Con. Will yield Ammonia Gas and Sulphuric Acid. I have Sulphuric acid in Patio Cleaner and a Bottle of 98% Sulphuric Acid (1 Litre).

"Sulphate of Ammonia" is an older name of ammonium sulphate (18th century, probably). Neither 'fancy' nor British. Still around in some establishments. Some people are slow.

Ammonium sulphate with conc. H2SO4 yields ammonium bisulphate. Ammonium sulphate with a strong alkali yields ammonia gas, plus the sulphate of that strong alkali.

[Edited on 2-2-2015 by blogfast25]

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 16:33

"Sulphate of Ammonia" is an older name of ammonium sulphate (18th century, probably). Neither 'fancy' nor British. Still around in some establishments. Some people are slow.

Ammonium sulphate with conc. H2SO4 yields ammonium bisulphate. Ammonium sulphate with a strong alkali yields ammonia gas, plus the sulphate of that strong alkali.

[Edited on 2-2-2015 by blogfast25]

Uh Hmmmm! H₂SO₄. ;)

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 17:29

Use the ammonium sulphate on acid loving plants- Blueberries, rhododendrons, azaleas, most any evergreen

Similarly, your lawn will enjoy the urea. Excellent Nitrogen fertilizer.

Spread both very thinly- Strong stuff!

[Edited on 2-2-2015 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Go To Top