Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Production of salts/compounds with electrolysis
math
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 5-2-2015 at 13:22
Production of salts/compounds with electrolysis

Hello,

I'd like to know which salts/compounds could be worthwhile making (from an economic point of view) through electrolysis at room temperature, either with a salt bridge or in a single cell.

I know, some industrial processes can't be beaten no matter how cheap your electricity is, however I'd like to know which ones get closer to that convenience, not considering the fact that some are indeed convenient if it's difficult to get them from suppliers ;)

Thank you :)

[Edited on 5-2-2015 by math]
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 08:38

1. Well, a lot of people talk about making NaOH from NaCl. Lots of threads about it.
2. NaClO from NaCl.
3. NaClO3 from NaCl.
4. KClO3 from KCl (pyrotechnic people love this).
5. 70% H2SO4 to produce I think H2S2O8 with a high current density electrolysis with platinum electrodes. A little bit of sulfur is produced as well according to the paper I read. The idea was to go from a low concentration 70% to 98% and some H2S2O8 gets produced at that point.

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 09:10

Quote: Originally posted by vmelkon  

5. 70% H2SO4 to produce I think H2S2O8 with a high current density electrolysis with platinum electrodes. A little bit of sulfur is produced as well according to the paper I read. The idea was to go from a low concentration 70% to 98% and some H2S2O8 gets produced at that point.

I remember making K2S2O8 as an undergraduate, by electrolyzing ice-cold saturated potassium sulphate. I don't have that lab manual anymore, though, so I can't give a reference.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 20:04

This is the link to the patent
Sulfurless electrolytic concentration of aqueous sulfuric acid solutions
US 3917521 A
http://www.google.com/patents?hl=en&lr=&vid=USPAT391...

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.

Go To Top