quantumcorespacealchemyst
Banned Shitposter

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 14:04
Iodo Platinic acid HPtI6.9H2O and Platinum tetraiodidePtI4

Looking at http://platinum.atomistry.com/iodo_platinic_acid.html
And http://platinum.atomistry.com/platinum_tetra_iodide.html

The procedures seem to conflict.
"Iodo-platinic Acid, H2PtI6.9H2O, exists in solution when platinum tetra-iodide is dissolved in aqueous hydriodic acid. "

But about PtI4 it says

"when platinum sponge is dissolved in a solution of iodine in aqueous hydriodic acid. The dark red solution is evaporated to dryness, raised to 180° C., and washed with boiling water.

Platinic iodide is a blackish brown, amorphous powder, which evolves iodine vapour when placed in vacuo even at ordinary temperatures. When warmed to 130° C. in air, iodine is evolved.
"

In the second case, perhaps the hydroiodic acid (and I2) is used up and doesn't react further to HPtI4.9H2O? what puzzles me as well is how it says to heat the solution of PtI4 after dryness to 180° C and says that at 130° C evolves iodine. Perhaps it is slow and the quenching with boiling water ceases it quickly?

Furthermore, is a mixture in the style of Aqua Regia 1:3 HNO3: HI workable? Does the HNO3 oxidize the HI to I2?

how can hexaiodoplatinic acid be made?
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 15:05

atomistry is a very low level 'compilation' site and its content often needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

That's not to say it is entirely w/o value or that nothing at all can be gleaned from it.

If you have unearthed a contradiction between two entries or an error in either one, that comes as no surprise to me.

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 15:22

Quote: Originally posted by quantumcorespacealchemyst  

Furthermore, is a mixture in the style of Aqua Regia 1:3 HNO3: HI workable? Does the HNO3 oxidize the HI to I2?

No, that would not work. Nitric acid will most certainly oxidize HI to I2.

EDIT: Fixed erroneous quote

[Edited on 2-6-2015 by gdflp]
Banned Shitposter

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 17:29

why does HNO3 not oxidize chlorine? I read that the HNO3 + 3HBr mix makes HAuBr4. even here it doesn't seem to oxidize the Bromine. there seems to be analogous side reactions, NOBr and NO2Br.
i wonder why iodine is so easily oxidized.
i read there is a Nitryl iodide https://drugs-forum.com/chemistry/chemistry/nitroalkene.synt...
it says it is produced by action of Sodium nitrite on Iodine.
i wonder if this added to 90+% HNO3 with concentrated HI. i wonder if there are equilibriums that can be pushed one way. it defeats the purpose of simplicity as I2 in HI is said to be the route to PtI4 and HPtI6; nonetheless, the chemistry has me interested.

i guess it would be interesting to see 90+% HNO3 with NO2I, with a saturated solution (or supersaturated) of I2 in HI, with excess I2 crystals on the bottom. i wonder if such seemingly non-effective conditions, can effect an equilibrium. also the extra water in the HI seems to be a problem.

so i wonder how bubbling NO2I into cold concentrated HI that has dissolved I2 (I3-) is, with platinum in it.

[Edited on 11-2-2015 by quantumcorespacealchemyst]
Banned Shitposter

[*] posted on 15-10-2015 at 23:26

why would a saturated solution of iodine in an organic solvent not do the trick at reflux?

Go To Top