Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alkali metal storage
Pickardjr
Harmless

Mood: vapor state

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 15:12
Alkali metal storage

Aa a gift some one has donated to me , one ounce of sodium in a foil pack. (looks like a candy bar in mylar pouch).
I was thankful for the gift, however I really have no plans at the moment for this and started wondering ... Is that foil pouch going to maintain the quality of the metal for storage times ? I know that mineral oil is used to store alkaline earth metals and thought maybe I should store it that way.
What do you guys/gals? think.. under mineral oil or in the pouch?

Thanks for your time.

[Edited on 7-2-2015 by Bert]
Fenir
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 15:18

The foil is usually full of argon, which should preserve the metal more than any means possible at home. If I was you I would keep the sodium in the foil.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 15:21

The sodium sold inside foil pouches is usually packaged under argon, and these are generally rather resistant to letting air in. I would just leave it in the pouch, and unless you have dry mineral oil you might oxidize the sodium partially when you drop it in as the sodium will react with the dissolved water and oxygen. Either option should be fine though.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 16:49

Not to worry...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Pickardjr
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 16:49

Ok, well then I will keep in the foil until needed. Thanks.
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 15:51

I have three pounds in the one ounce foil packets. When I got it I was told that it should be good for at least a decade.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 13:10

Bert your comment is pretty funny if you continue to read down to your signature. "Not to worry... Boom."

Those foil packs are generally very well sealed, and will keep your metal very nice for a very long time (or so I've heard). I'd keep it in there, unless you have access to an inert gas and a very tightly sealed bottle to put it in.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 13:31

Store the foil packets in a large glass mason jar, or strong plastic jar or even a cardboard box. It's easy to make a pinhole by accident and not realize, and ruin a whole stick of Na.

Note to self: Tare the damned flask.
Pickardjr
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 17:20

I did put them in a mason jar. Thats really what this post was about, getting a pin hole in the foil and it going bad. The foil is rather thin. thanks for all the great advise .

Go To Top