Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Things That Frustrate As A DIY Chemist
MrBlank1
Hazard to Self

Mood: Inadvertantly aloof?

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 04:15

Dude, it took me 15 minutes to get that. I'm taking a leak when the penny dropped and I burst out with "BAHAHAHAHA". Daughter come running to see what was wrong. ROFL.

But yeah, what straight guy wouldn't hit this

Scarface_(18).jpg - 35kB

AAAAA = Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 04:18

Paybacks a bitch.

I have tears rolling, and it's just getting light out.:D:D:D

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 05:59

For my new/revived hobby of Chemistry I use this forum and find 'nerds'
that are afraid of public opinion and perception.

Another of my hobbies is Electronics and Tesla Coils and there are folk who have a similar perception of public perception problems.

My other main hobby is amateur radio construction and operation,
and folk on my favourite forum for this have neighbour problems like 'your antenna will damage my TV'

Just to complete the round up, I'm a bearded white convert to Islam.

So far, no problems, enjoy your individuality, be nice and have a nice day.

but keep looking for those black helicopters :P
or other bullies.

[Edited on 16-2-2015 by Sulaiman]
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 06:09

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
For my new/revived hobby of Chemistry I use this forum and find 'nerds'
that are afraid of public opinion and perception.

Another of my hobbies is Electronics and Tesla Coils and there are folk who have similar public perception problems.

My other main hobby is amateur radio construction and operation,
and folk on my favourite forum for this have neighbour problems like 'your antenna will damage my TV'

Just to complete the roundup, I'm a bearded white convert to Islam.

So far, no problems, enjoy your individuality, be nice and have a nice day.
but keep looking for those black helicopters :P

Was this an complement, an insult or a statement?

This forum is soooo hard to follow.

Zom.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 06:20

Zombie,

I remember that poster from high school days. I always did like Farrah...

I have different problems, as I don't have a lack of access to glassware, or even most chemicals. I would love to do more chemistry at home, but I am so spoiled from working in real labs that working at home is just so much more difficult, and I have gotten used to doing things a certain way at work, so the cost and effort to duplicate that at home would be impossible. Worse yet, while I enjoy teaching younger people about chemistry, I almost hate to encourage them now, due to the job situation in chemistry right now. I hope that it will improve soon, but most chemists I know right now are not doing well in their jobs, many are either laid off, working for way less than they used to, or waiting for the axe to fall. So while I love chemistry, the job environment is tough right now, which makes me less likely to encourage people into it.

But doing it as an educational goal, not as a career, is a great idea. I always loved the idea of people like Thomas Edison doing chemistry as a young man, as did many people back 100 years ago, which lead to many great things. And I really like the Renaissance man concept of learning about many areas, which I have also tried to do, chemistry, computers/software, mechanical things, electricity, and more. I even made a good solder joint the other day, the first in years.

But even as a professional chemist, I hear a lot of people who assume all chemists are either crazy, nerdy (that one is close to right), or drug cooks. But I just revel in it, and don't mind some of the jokes and Breaking Bad references. I like the series, to some degree, but I do often try to correct the science, as they often are not real good on that, likely for a good reason. I'm sure that lots of kids have since broken open road flares looking for phosphorous...

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 06:27

I have a buddy that retired from Stony Brook NY, and he is substitute teaching at the local high school, and at Tallahassee Community college.

That might be an option Dr. Bob. Sort of get your fill of working at what you love, teaching younger lots, and having free time to learn to solder better.

Just sayin'

Zom.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 07:23

not an insult (I hope) as the 'nerd' term I took from the posts.
it was just to say 'don't worry' it's a common perception of all kinds of independant/interesting people.
There are intolerant people of all ages, be kind to them.
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

Mood: Vivified!

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:09

not an insult (I hope) as the 'nerd' term I took from the posts.
it was just to say 'don't worry' it's a common perception of all kinds of independant/interesting people.
There are intolerant people of all ages, be kind to them.

I AM NOT A NERD! *goes back to playing KSP as he waits for a reaction to finish*

I just made you read this very pointless signature. How does it feel?
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 12:40

I AM NOT A NERD! *goes back to playing KSP as he waits for a reaction to finish*

Second. That, and Scott Manley's videos. Every. Single. One.

Hullloooo, Scott Manley here...

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 17:34

Things that frustrate me as a DIY chemist?

I can't get any glassware at home, and I can't do what I want at university!

All of you have first world problems :P

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Argentum
Harmless

Mood: UV light

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 17:35

Adding one more to the list...

Assholes (sorry about the word but is what I see) that read "news" about "things big companies don't want you to know", so their definition of chemical is "carcinogenic stuff that is added to food to make it cheaper".

It makes me angry the things that they say.. and other assholes eat that bullshit, and the cycle keeps going

I was reading some stuff about "the toxicity of salt". It said that iodine was the most toxic element and fluorine was radioactive:o (here fluorides and iodates are added to salt) and it compared common salt with some miraculous "marine salt" that has "60 of the 84 elements in nature in the right proportion as it is on the blood"... Also said that salt had a chemical to make it white.. and that stuff makes salt carcinogenic... But don't worry, the cure of cancer is bicarbonate and lemon juice...

I should stop complaining and go to sleep.

EDIT: just realized that when I write the word toxic in my cellphone, the keyboard shows the word chemical first...

[Edited on 18-2-2015 by Argentum]
SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chlorine Trifloride Flame Thrower

[*] posted on 25-2-2015 at 11:17

... Wow, just wow.

We are chemists , we bring light to the darkness. Knowledge to ignorant, excitement to the depressed and unknowing. we bring crops to broken fields and water to the desert. Where there is fear we bring curiosity.

Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 25-2-2015 at 11:19

Argentum I'll reply later, I've got a bridge to jump off of.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2015 at 11:25

Quote: Originally posted by Argentum  
Adding one more to the list...

Assholes (sorry about the word but is what I see) that read "news" about "things big companies don't want you to know", so their definition of chemical is "carcinogenic stuff that is added to food to make it cheaper".

It makes me angry the things that they say.. and other assholes eat that bullshit, and the cycle keeps going

Ever notice how when you don't confirm their anti-scientific postulations, you must be somehow "in" on the conspiracy?

I get that a lot. Yeah, scientists are all colluding to hide the cure for [terrible of disease of choice] and poison the population. Especially when it seems like most of them are postdocs who have only been getting paid 30-40k for the last ten years to do it. Makes sense. Keep buying those books/supplements/insider tips in the multibillion dollar fraud industry and hate those evil scientists.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 25-2-2015 at 17:07

Don't lie, Chemosynthesis, you just want to force people to eat gluten (this is a thing you can do, right?).

/s
Tungsten.Chromium
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-5-2015 at 21:24

Sorry to bump an old thread, but

Apart from all of the major things everyone's been talking about, one of the things that makes me crazy is the friend that wants to learn, but don't put in any effort.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've been trying to talk to a friend of mine about something chemistry related only to have them reply, "I wish I knew what you were talking about." I always offer to take them under my wing and teach them what I know about this wonderful world of chemistry, and they're always so excited right then and there.

Then the next day comes when I call them to get together so we can get started and it always ends the same. "Uh, I'm busy today, lets get together tomorrow." I try for the next few days but it always gets forgotten. Makes me sad knowing what a cool world they're missing out on.

Prosit!
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 25-5-2015 at 22:13

Chemosynthesis, for example, sodium nitrite is included into a lot of meat products, and also maybe some other preservatives. You might have heard about 5 years old burger that had a look of a new one. Sodium nitrite is capable of creating nitrosamines, which are carcinogens. But a meat that was treated with sodium nitrite has much longer storage time, and that's why is cheaper.
Another kind of issues is refined food, like flour made from wheat. Refined food can be stored for a longer time, because it lacks important nutrients and enzymes that would lead to a much faster bacterial growth. Burger bun is a nice example, because it also contains a refined sugar. The problem is that a human organism receives carbohydrates in excess, while gets not enough important vitamins and minerals. That's how the fat US population is created.
I do not advocate those retards who are afraid of synthetic vineguar, I'm just want to remind you that the problem actually exists.

[Edited on 26-5-2015 by byko3y]
diggafromdover
Hazard to Self

Mood: Inconherent

[*] posted on 26-5-2015 at 09:10

Quote: Originally posted by gardul  
CAT HAIR! One of my problems.. It seems no matter how careful I am I always atleast get one hair.

Might I recommend Sphynx cats. I have two and zero cat hair. They also help with the mad scientist look.
xfusion44
Hazard to Others

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 26-5-2015 at 10:40

What frustrates me, is my today's 14% copper carbonate yield...

I used 1 mole CuSO4 and 1 mole sodium carbonate... Should get about 220g of product... After filtrating it for whole day and removing water, I've ended with only little over 30 grams. :'(

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 26-5-2015 at 12:04

Quote: Originally posted by xfusion44  

I used 1 mole CuSO4 and 1 mole sodium carbonate... Should get about 220g of product... After filtrating it for whole day and removing water, I've ended with only little over 30 grams. :'(

You have to use excess carbonate to push the equilibrium to the right. I ran into the problem recently with Cobalt chloride. Totally an expensive problem with the cobalt salt if you don't precipitate it all.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 26-5-2015 at 12:59

Good call TVC.

Quite often i get all carried away in the exact maths of the stoichimetry and forget all about Reality, then get disappointed at the result.

xfusion44
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-5-2015 at 03:00

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Quote: Originally posted by xfusion44  

You have to use excess carbonate to push the equilibrium to the right. I ran into the problem recently with Cobalt chloride. Totally an expensive problem with the cobalt salt if you don't precipitate it all.

Didn't know things work so bad in reality, compared to the calculations, well I'd understand if I'd get 150g at least, but 30g? Come on.. I mean, I should get at least a lot more than 30g right?

Otherwise, thanks for explanation.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 27-5-2015 at 05:49

Are you sure you added Na2CO3? Common cleaning soda from supermarkets is Na2CO3.10H2O. So, a lot of its weight is water and if you used that and expected the weight to be Na2CO3, then the majority of metal ions is not precipitated!

Another reason for lossing a lot of metal ions is that you do not get pure carbonate, but a mixed hydroxide/carbonate. You get something like CuCO3·2Cu(OH)2. The OH(-) comes from two carbonate ions, the remainder being HCO3(-), which remains in solution:

2CO3(2-) + 2H2O <--> 2OH(-) + 2HCO3(-)

With copper ions you get the following:

3Cu(2+) + 4OH(-) + CO3(2-) --> CuCO3·2Cu(OH)2

The net reaction then is:

3Cu(2+) + 5CO3(2-) + 4H2O --> CuCO3·2Cu(OH)2 + 4HCO3(-)

You see that you need 5 carbonate ions to precipitate 3 copper ions.

Yet another thing which brings down your number is that CuCO3·2Cu(OH)2 weighs quite a lot less than 3 CuCO3's.

[Edited on 27-5-15 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 27-5-2015 at 16:50

What frustrates me is that I can acutally make explosives, while it's hard for me to obtain acetone and toluene (and also phosphorus chlorides, elemental phosphorus and permanganate). But I can freely purchase iodine, iodides and hypophosphites. God only knows why some particular chemicals are banned in some countries.
xfusion44
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-5-2015 at 19:06

@woelen

I was using NaCO3 that I've made from NaHCO3. I was heating NaHCO3 to about 150C and mixing it well, to get rid of all of the CO2. I was constantly checking the weight. At the end I've got exactly the same weight of product as I've calculated it to be, so I'm assuming that there was not much water in my NaCO3. Well, maybe even my NaHCO3 wasn't pure in first place :-/ I noticed that there was a lot of unreacted CuSO4 in the mixture and there was also some white stuff, but I don't know if it was NaCO3 or just precipitated Na2SO4...

Thanks!

BR, xfusion

[Edited on 28-5-2015 by xfusion44]

[Edited on 28-5-2015 by xfusion44]

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top