Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Sweden hosts project to stop homemade bombs
Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 13-2-2015 at 07:45
Sweden hosts project to stop homemade bombs

http://www.thelocal.se/20150212/sweden-hosts-project-to-stop...

Quote:

Swedish researchers have been sharing details of a woodland project designed to help European countries outwit future terrorists plotting attacks with homemade bombs.

In a forest in Södertorn, south of Stockholm, a seven-acre facility belonging to the Swedish Defence Agency is working on a project designed to prevent people from being able to make bombs from household products sold around Europe.

The idea is to identify how to replace substances that can be used to make explosives, with other ingredients that are not potentially dangerous and still allow products to fulfil the purpose they were invented for, for example cleaning or bleaching.

The project, which is funded by the EU, is looking at items including camping stoves, detergents and disinfectants.

"It's about how we can prevent anyone from making bombs from things that can be bought in stores," Henric Östmark, research director at the Swedish Defence Research Agency told the Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter. But he refused to go into too much detail to ensure that knowledge being gathered by the research team did not end up in the wrong hands.

The EU has already made it illegal to own certain substances that can be used to make bombs and it is hoped that the Swedish project will lead to further legislation once replacable bomb-making ingredients within other household products have been identified.

Swedish researchers are also developing new methods to help detect homemade bombs. This includes sensors that can be mounted on the roofs of police cars or in scanning areas at airports or even sewers, where suspicious particles from bombs could spread. It is believed that this kind of technology could have been used to detect the explosives used in the London bombings in 2005.

"We are now in discussions with the European Commission to develop a prototype [of a sensor] that could be tested when the police anywhere in Europe receive an indication that something like this going on," Östmark told The Local.

Details of the project emerged as terrorism was a key topic on the agenda for European leaders meeting for their latest in summit in Brussels on Thursday, in the wake of the terror attacks in Paris last month.

In 2011, Norway was rocked by a bombing attack in Oslo carried out by Anders Behring Breivik, who went on to shoot dozens of young people who were at a youth conference on a nearby island. Sweden has also experienced homegrown terrorism in recent years, with a suicide bombing in central Stockholm in 2010.

Asked about the possibility of future terror attacks in the Nordic nation last month, Sweden's Interior Minister Anders Ygeman told The Local: "We must not let the dark forces win. I can understand why people are concerned, but we are doing everything we can to prevent actions like these. We should not be afraid and we should not be silenced."

I wonder if they'll ban table salt.

Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 13-2-2015 at 08:21

Interesting, wonder exactly what they're working on? Sounds like they possibly could be looking at bleach, but I'd find it hard to believe that they'd get that replaced with another chemical that's comparatively effective and not a strong oxidiser that could be 'misused' in some way.

Yes, I guess it's bad, but whenever an article mentions the 2005 bombings you have to remember that they're talking about organic peroxides, and a crackdown on organic peroxides is hardly the end of the world for home chemists. I think if you look at a chemical like HMTD's use in terrorism over the years vs its use in home chemistry, I feel it's a pretty good target to police.

That said, I've heard hydrogen peroxide is becoming virtually impossible to find in countries like Sweden, and you'd think that was enough of a significant crackdown.
Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 13-2-2015 at 08:43

Yeah, there's little info on what they're testing.
Though I'm curious if they're experimenting on small scale or large scale.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 13-2-2015 at 09:18

Probably small scale, then they'll force it on industry :)
Glad I live in the US.... yeah....

Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 13-2-2015 at 09:24

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Probably small scale, then they'll force it on industry :)
Glad I live in the US.... yeah....

Industry typically get's to do what they want as long as they stay within certain guidelines. Other than reporting, I don't see how this or any similar method, could be forced onto industry.

Now, I have seen instances where you have to jump through hoops to get something, with it still being "available", just not worth the paperwork or reporting. It's typically referred to as a behavior-shaping constraint. :)

[Edited on 13-2-2015 by Loptr]

[Edited on 13-2-2015 by Loptr]
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 13-2-2015 at 17:45

If they succeed, the logical next step would be for terrorists to buy "Hornet and Wasp" spray cans by the case.

Rather than blowing things up, they can now run around "macing" people from 30 feet away.

The world has spiraled into a madness that it may not recover from.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 13-2-2015 at 19:07

Bleach, hydrogen peroxide in any form, salt and god forbid someone get a hold of sugar or lard. Oh and air and electricity will need to be banned too.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 13-2-2015 at 19:38

Don't give them any tips...

I need my air.

Zom.
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 13-2-2015 at 20:13

My home lab could always use an overhaul and a bit of downsize...
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 14-2-2015 at 12:45

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
If they succeed, the logical next step would be for terrorists to buy "Hornet and Wasp" spray cans by the case.

Rather than blowing things up, they can now run around "macing" people from 30 feet away.

The world has spiraled into a madness that it may not recover from.

Or just drop cases of the stuff on cities from the sky...

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 14-2-2015 at 14:41

It would have to be from Gliders cause fuel will be banned.

Trebuchet's...

mangonneau.jpg - 46kB

Zom.
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2015 at 04:47

Trebuchet's...

Dang, I wish I had your humor. You are blessed.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 15-2-2015 at 10:46

For humor on society's determination to ban chemicals, this one is hard to beat, IMO :D:

"Another material worth banning: Bones. Everyone who reads up on phosphorus production will find out that animal bones once were the principal raw material for it.
No more chicken wings at burger king, only boneless steaks and chicken filet, no whole turkey, etc...
Possession of a dead animal containing bones is only legal for registered and licensed butchers, every other person will be charged with unlawful possession of a drug precursor. "

- garage chemist

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 00:21

I can't help but wonder if perhaps they are jumping the gun a bit when I am still reading news stories where explosives (including grenades and rockets) and automatic weapons were smuggled into countries such France, Belgium, and Denmark for terrorism, yet haven't come across any stories of note whereby homemade explosives have played a serious role.

I just wonder if the priorities aren't a little reversed when focusing on future issues seems such a big deal when current issues don't appear to be being effectively dealt with.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 00:31

Quote: Originally posted by morganbw  

Trebuchet's...

Dang, I wish I had your humor. You are blessed.

Not what my teachers said, but I'l take what I can get. :D:D:D:D

Zom.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 00:42

Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  
I can't help but wonder if perhaps they are jumping the gun a bit when I am still reading news stories where explosives (including grenades and rockets) and automatic weapons were smuggled into countries such France, Belgium, and Denmark for terrorism, yet haven't come across any stories of note whereby homemade explosives have played a serious role.

I just wonder if the priorities aren't a little reversed when focusing on future issues seems such a big deal when current issues don't appear to be being effectively dealt with.

It may have a lot to do with the Arms Trade Treaty that was just ratified, and put into effect Dec. 24, 2014.

In essence it took All weapons out of privatized hands, and gave full control, and responsibility into the Fed's. hands.

This may be the jump start of citizen disarmament on a global scale.
You should see me on the Conspiracy forums. I kick some Rothschild ass, I do.

http://www.un.org/disarmament/ATT/

PDF of the treaty...
https://unoda-web.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/0...

It's some bad news for us. The US is already in direct violation of the treaty. :mad:
Read thru, and you'll see.

Zom.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 01:16

Seriously? What about the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombings.
In any case, we all know this kind of legislation is not about preventing professional terrorist attacks. It's about giving the populace the feeling that politicians are doing something. And let's be realistic: the general populace approves kids playing with potentially dangerous chemicals just as much as they approve someone cooking up a batch of speed.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 01:37

The arms control part is dubious as most UN legislature contains verbiage such as "Reaffirming the sovereign right of any State to regulate and control conventional arms exclusively within its territory, pursuant to its own legal or constitutional system"

However, one of the only constitutionally free nations with regard to that kind of thing, at least ostensibly, is the United States. You could argue Mexico too, in name only.

Quote: Originally posted by turd  

Seriously? What about the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombings.
Ten years ago, not technically on the continent of Europe. Kind of unusual to enact laws on the ten year memorium, at least in my mind. The most recent continental bombing (excluding Russia) that I recall off the top of my head was in Madrid in 2004, and wasn't homemade, but diverted explosives. I also wonder how much of it is fueled by the desire to have more centralized control, either for power's sake or the ability to request larger budgets due to perceived responsibilities' expansion.

[Edited on 16-2-2015 by Chemosynthesis]
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 02:48

Quote Chemo:

"fueled by the desire to have more centralized control"

Exactly!

Zom.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 03:15

Ten years ago, not technically on the continent of Europe. Kind of unusual to enact laws on the ten year memorium, at least in my mind. The most recent continental bombing (excluding Russia) that I recall off the top of my head was in Madrid in 2004, and wasn't homemade, but diverted explosives. I also wonder how much of it is fueled by the desire to have more centralized control, either for power's sake or the ability to request larger budgets due to perceived responsibilities' expansion.

You make no sense. What has being "technically on the continent of Europe" to do with anything?
And your memory might need some training: ANFO bomb: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks

Things are really quite simple:
1) Europe has a long tradition of home-made bombs, be it perchlorates, ammonium nitrate, nitroglycerine or peroxides.
2) There is a perceived increase of terrorism and therefore a demand for politics to act.
3) The populace has zero problems with restricting access to "dangerous" chemicals to professionals.

Combine these three points and you will get new restrictions. It's not "a desire for centralized control" (paranoia much?), it's the population who wants this. It's called democracy.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 03:40

I call it Vanilla Rain.

Where is the practical limit? You could blow the crap out of a city street with a garbage can full of Cola, and Mento's.

People that want to cause chaos will ALWAYS find a way to do it. Truck tires over filled, and delivered from a refrig. truck, on a hot sidewalk can kill dozens of people.

In essence I am saying this is much more. Take consumer products, and make them all bland... whatever. I don't really care one way or the other.

The post was right here on this site, Take guns away from law abiding citizens, and we are all sitting ducks.

Take draino away form home owners, and I see a lot of "crap" in our future.

I had to edit... If they really want to make an impact??? Blow the shit out of all the terrorist nations. ALL of them.
That will make a statement.

Now I hope you understand I am exaggerating but... Stop coddling, and stop pretending that all of the wars for the last two centuries have not been funded by BIG BUISNESS.
I can list the facts behind this statement if you wish. It's my Other hobby. Keeping track of the people keeping track of US.

It's not paranoid to be aware. I can show you who / why / when every conflict was started, who profited the most, and why terrorism was born. Lies, and deceit cause action.

Why are we in Afghanistan? Why are they attacking the world with terror?
Because the U.S. BACKED Bin Laden. We provided training, and arms for him to separate from Russia. WE promised him control of HIS country.
What happened? He won, and we left him flat on his ass in a post war shitpile.
He never started all this. WE did.

Soooo Let them take away cough syrup, and brick wash. I don't give a _ _ _ _! It won't change anything.

http://www.mining.com/1-trillion-motherlode-of-lithium-and-g...

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-war-is-worth-waging-afghani...

[Edited on 16-2-2015 by Zombie]

[Edited on 16-2-2015 by Zombie]

Zom.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 04:06

Quote: Originally posted by turd  

You make no sense. What has being "technically on the continent of Europe" to do with anything?
And your memory might need some training: ANFO bomb: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks

"Swedish researchers have been sharing details of a woodland project designed to help European countries outwit future terrorists plotting attacks with homemade bombs." From the original article, the entire stated purpose is European. My distinction with Britain is that there is strife between it and the continent of Europe (http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/129c569a-64fc-11e4-ab2d-00144...).
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northe...
http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/0206/678225-britain-eur...
This is having a political impact between the two. Also being an island, there is geographical separation. This was a minor point in my statement, and you can ignore it if you don't want to consider it important. You've already ignored the timeline. My main issue is the ten year gap, which is why I reiterated it after placing it first in the response. You might as well talk about PIRA, or the originals as though it were relevant. If you think it is, fine-- just say so and leave it at that.

Your original example didn't make sense, but the Norway Breivik case is better one despite the misuse of terminology (training is typically used for working memory, though you did remind me of the bombing I forgot, as the shooting aspect received more press. Thank you for that, I suppose), however in neither the 2011 Norway attack, or (the most pertinent example, perhaps, for both of our memories, if you so choose), a 2010 Stockhold bombing, were new restrictions attempted. Any correlation is murky at best. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Stockholm_bombings
Contrast with firearm restrictions, say in the UK and Australia, unless you have better examples. I am open to them, if you are polite. In the UK and Australia, restrictions were implemented in what I consider relatively short time after both the Dunblane and Port Arthur shootings, respectively.

Quote:

Things are really quite simple:
1) Europe has a long tradition of home-made bombs, be it perchlorates, ammonium nitrate, nitroglycerine or peroxides.

Wait, you yourself didn't understand what Europe had to do with anything. You're going to conflate regional conflicts like Basque serparatism and the IRA with Sweden? If this is what you're doing, you are hardly going to "simplify" things, thanks. I never said Europe was historically bomb-free... what I said was "I can't help but wonder if perhaps they are jumping the gun a bit when I am still reading news stories where explosives (including grenades and rockets) and automatic weapons were smuggled into countries such France, Belgium, and Denmark for terrorism, yet haven't come across any stories of note whereby homemade explosives have played a serious role."
Read it again if you must. I said that I am wondering if this is somewhat backwards as a strategy. If you disagree, that is fine. Reasonable people who read what I said without trying to warp the context should comprehend what I am saying, and you can disagree with me all you want, but claiming I don't make sense is ridiculous.

I clearly contextualized the recency of shootings and imported weaponry, and the lack of notable bombings. Talking about bombings half a decade ago, or a decade ago, is a bit different.... If you really have to pretend like you think I am entirely oblivious to any historical bombings in all of Europe, despite my noting the Madrid bombing of 2004 and excluding those in Russia (there have been several), then that is stretching pretty far for you to make some kind of point.
Quote:

2) There is a perceived increase of terrorism and therefore a demand for politics to act.
3) The populace has zero problems with restricting access to "dangerous" chemicals to professionals.

And now you're just claiming speculation as fact, unless you care to cite some polls. Amusing given your calling another poster an insult for presuming to speak for "everyone" in this post just today: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=61578&...
Please explain why the public wants chemical restrictions, rather than restrictions on immigration or traveling to Syria? Growing Pro-nationalist, anti-Islamic, rightwing sentiment is on the rise in numerous European countries. I could take that as evidence that the population would prefer isolation rather than chemical restriction. Now, if I did that, I would need to start using facts to back up my claim. I'm not saying one way or the other.
http://sciencenordic.com/more-extreme-right-violence-sweden-...
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/islamophobic-hat...

Quote:
Combine these three points and you will get new restrictions. It's not "a desire for centralized control" (paranoia much?), it's the population who wants this. It's called democracy.

New restrictions are implemented by a centralized authority. That's called government regulation. A desire for regulation on anyones' part is a desire for centralized control and power (without power, regulations would be meaningless). Hopefully you're as aware of that as I am that there are a multitude of types of "democracy" (Athenian, representative, and you seem to just imply populist democracy as de facto). You're also seeming to suggest that the public wants the appearance of safety rather than actual safety from current attacks, merely because you claim people don't mind restriction. That is pretty tenuous, logically speaking. Now, I can't say for certain, but I think the average person would prefer to actually be safe from current threats than appear safe from potential ones, barring some kind of phobia. Which gets back to my actual statement you took issue with. "I just wonder if the priorities aren't a little reversed when focusing on future issues seems such a big deal when current issues don't appear to be being effectively dealt with. "

If you've ever seen the funding side of government, you'd know that there is incentive in taking on more personnel, responsibility, or the appearance thereof to argue for more funding. Similarly, when the fiscal year runs up, you run through all your office supplies (sometimes lab materials too) so you can justify your previous budget. A regulatory agency could definitely benefit from increased regulation. If you think that is paranoia, I find that highly naive.

It appears you yourself are likely of the impression that the appearance of safety is beneficial to incumbent politicians. Having established that increasing regulations is centralization of power to the regulators, and using your view that this is what what the demos wants, it follows that there is a political benefit to this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yeA_kHHLow
Note: Obviously Rahm Emmanuel is not European, so if you want to take issue with that clip's applicability, go right ahead. I doubt the sensible point is lost on you, that I would speculate as I do. That doesn't it make it fact. That makes it speculation.

My post was really quite simple, and equally on point. There is a recent history of arms smuggling in the region, including Sweden. http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&... Restricting chemicals doesn't necessarily impact this at all. If your point is that the population may be placated by a bait-and-switch, that is a valid speculation, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree. However, in terms of efficacy, my original speculation was that this seems somewhat extraneous to the most recent attacks, where groups are able to import automatic weaponry and rocket launchers from warzones into firstworld nations with state-of-the-art police and law enforcement, and stable governments. Nothing more.

If you disagree, fine, but I think you're just inferring from my posts to make argument like you've done previously, rather than addressing the substance of them.

[Edited on 17-2-2015 by Chemosynthesis]
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:15

smuggle in a large amount of solvent oxidizer and acid to cook up some of the most feared materials
dump in sewers in miniscule amounts
then -- they can go fuck themselves with their goddamn danger radars

if their radars are giving enough false alarms they simply wont be capable of using it and will have to pull it back
http://i.imgur.com/uItbvri.jpg

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 09:28

images.jpg - 9kB

Zom.
gregxy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 10:16

Once you understand that the things that governments do are all about justifying (and funding) their own existence, then everything will make sense!

If you want to make money, you need to spend money. If your in government you spend the taxpayers money!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top