Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Does Cl2O cause lung cancer?
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 24-2-2015 at 09:51
Does Cl2O cause lung cancer?

Been doing some searching and it seems there are no studies done on Cl2O. Can inhaling even small amounts of it, such as the under the 5 PPM needed to burn the nose, cause lung cancer? Is it a stronger oxidizer than pure Cl2? If it does cause lung cancer, could I have a significantly higher chance from just 1 exposure, or is it over time?

Asking this because I accidentally make some Cl2O from mixing sulfuric acid and bleach. Had a respirator on so I didn't inhale anything past the 2-3 PPM smell limit, no burning nose or burning lungs or anything. Nothing more than what you would smell at an indoor pool, probably. Hope I don't have to start getting low-level CT scans when I'm older...

[Edited on 24-2-2015 by Cou]
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 24-2-2015 at 09:59

I'd be more worried about the possibility of getting killed in my house by a meteorite that was launched from a collision between Jupiter and Pluto.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-2-2015 at 10:25

Quote: Originally posted by Molecular Manipulations  
I'd be more worried about the possibility of getting killed in my house by a meteorite that was launched from a collision between Jupiter and Pluto.

You're being a bit flippant here. Bizarrely Wiki doesn't even mention ANY possible health hazard and it does decompose to chlorine...

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 24-2-2015 at 10:29

Yes it causes cancer, run for your life!
If you couldn't find a single study on it why on gods green earth would expect anyone here to know?
The answer is probably yes and no. Yes, practically everything can be linked in some way to cancer. No, nothing in the world "causes" cancer. They can only increase your chances of getting cancer, even the most carcinogenic substances can only increase your chances.

Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2015 at 10:30

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichlorine_monoxide

Doesn't even mention any hazards at all, besides a 3 on the NPAA triangle. I'm wondering if it's a stronger oxidizer than pure Cl2.

[Edited on 24-2-2015 by Cou]
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 24-2-2015 at 10:43

Like all other chlorine oxides (except dichloride septoxide) it's an endothermic compound, so yes it's a more powerful oxidizer than either chlorine or oxygen, but that indicates nothing about it's carcinogenic properties. Last time I checked benzene isn't a very strong oxidizer.
Actually, even dichlorine septoxide is endothermic, although it's the most stable chlorine oxide known, from Wikipedia:
Quote:

Although it is the most stable chlorine oxide, Cl2O7 is a strong oxidizer as well as an explosive that can be set off with flame or mechanical shock, or by contact with iodine.[5] Nevertheless, it is less strongly oxidising than the other chlorine oxides, and does not attack sulfur, phosphorus, or paper when cold.[1] It has the same effects on the human body as elemental chlorine, and requires the same precautions.[6]

[Edited on 24-2-2015 by Molecular Manipulations]

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 24-2-2015 at 11:11

No need to worry about Cl2O killing you. I have added acid to bleach MANY MANY times and have made Cl2, ClO2 and maybe also some Cl2O in all these occasiions, I had a whiff of gas many times as well and I still am around, almost half a century by now :D

If you experiment with bleach just avoid breathing too much of the produced gases, because they can cause edemia, but now if you just had a whiff and could just smell it. Use common sense, do not let yourself run away with frightful thoughts.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2015 at 11:43

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
No need to worry about Cl2O killing you. I have added acid to bleach MANY MANY times and have made Cl2, ClO2 and maybe also some Cl2O in all these occasiions, I had a whiff of gas many times as well and I still am around, almost half a century by now :D

If you experiment with bleach just avoid breathing too much of the produced gases, because they can cause edemia, but now if you just had a whiff and could just smell it. Use common sense, do not let yourself run away with frightful thoughts.

Well that's a relief. I read your chemistry website sometimes and there are some dangerous experiments on there that I would do myself...
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2015 at 12:11

I think you are suffering from a debilitating condition known as "chemophobia."

Everything is not out to get you. Maybe inhaling a tiny amount of a gas you may or many not have produced, <I>below the smell limit so you can't even tell you were exposed to anything at all</I>, is not something to panic about. Nothing causes cancer instantly upon first exposure. As was said earlier, carcinogens can only increase your chances. Limiting exposure is obviously still a good idea.

It's great that you're concerned for your safety, of course. Wearing a respirator shows you are experimenting carefully and responsibly; just make sure the cartridges in it are rated for the gases you are producing. Stay careful, plan your reactions beforehand, make sure safety measures are in place, treat your chemicals with the respect they deserve, and you can experiment with chemistry safely.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2015 at 16:52

I'm also worried about getting lung cancer from one time exposure to *Possibly but i don't know for sure* SO3 gas before I became smart about safety. It was enough to burn my nose and throat. So when I turn 18 I might have to start getting low-dose CT scans.

Luckily SO3 has a lot of studies on it from occupational exposures, and this is the best one i've found: Link

It doesn't say exactly what concentration, but they were exposed to sulfuric acid fumes over 9.5 years. All of them were smokers.

[Edited on 25-2-2015 by Cou]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 24-2-2015 at 21:41

Check list for Cou

Wear your PPE. You do.
Plan your experiments carefully with particular regard to safety. You do.
Ask intelligent questions to increase your knowledge base. You do.
Do research on compounds that you may have had minor exposure to. You do.
Worry less...
Pyrovus
Hazard to Others

Mood: heretical

[*] posted on 25-2-2015 at 11:15

Given how reactive it is, I imagine it'll probably be unlikely to be able to get to DNA, as it will have reacted with something long before it gets a chance to.

So as far as carcinogenicity goes, it's probably not going to be all that bad - the most likely mechanism would be indirectly, by creating things like alkyl chlorides and the like. This will likely be quite insignificant compared to the reactivity/corrosivity dangers.

[Edited on 25-2-2015 by Pyrovus]

Never accept that which can be changed.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2015 at 14:28

Quote: Originally posted by Pyrovus  
Given how reactive it is, I imagine it'll probably be unlikely to be able to get to DNA, as it will have reacted with something long before it gets a chance to.

So as far as carcinogenicity goes, it's probably not going to be all that bad - the most likely mechanism would be indirectly, by creating things like alkyl chlorides and the like. This will likely be quite insignificant compared to the reactivity/corrosivity dangers.

[Edited on 25-2-2015 by Pyrovus]

What I'm trying to figure out is if maybe 4 exposures over the span of many years is enough to cause a significant increase in lung cancer chance. These exposures were all very quick, as in a 2 second nose burn and it's over. Maybe 3 times when I was 13, and one time just a few months ago. I regret all of the reckless things I did when I was younger... but then again, a lot of people made mistakes when they were younger. Getting melanoma late in life from suntanning as a kid, having a criminal record from marijuana that stops you from getting a job, or even ruining your entire life by fooling around in HS and making a 1.7 GPA, losing teeth from skateboarding or doing jackass tricks, eating junk and getting diabetes as an adult.

[Edited on 25-2-2015 by Cou]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 25-2-2015 at 14:47

Fact is, that once Done, it's Done, and you simply have to live with the consequences.

I cannot find any data linking Dichlorine Monoxide to any form of cancer.

The NFPS 704 health rating is 3 = "Short exposure could cause serious temporary or moderate residual injury"

Those incidents will not affect your long term health at all.

Other stuff that is omnipresent in your environment will have more of an effect, and if you smoke or drink ...

Edit:

Worrying does absolutely no good at all.

As a smoker, my wife insisted that i have a chest x-ray last year.

It was fine, yet there is a risk that the x-rays could possibly cause cancer.

When it comes to your Life, it's a all a matter of Temporary Risk, as you're going to die one day in any case, so balance the risks according to what makes you happiest in the meantime.

[Edited on 25-2-2015 by aga]

Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2015 at 14:57

I was talking about SO3
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 25-2-2015 at 15:18

Cou, relax. I'm afraid looking at the health effects of substances you may have been exposed to is only worsening your "condition." When I tried the lead chamber process to make sulfuric acid from potassium nitrate and sulfur, I was driven from the room by the sulfur dioxide/trioxide when reaction produced the gas faster than my makeshift gear could handle. (Along with what has surely been liters of the gasses in my decade of pryotechnic adventures, not to mention nitrogen oxides...) This was going on 6 years ago. I've had many checkups since then, and am in good health. Perhaps I slightly increased my chances of misfortune, but if that slight risk worried me, I would have never gotten into this hobby in the first place.

Life is unhealthy, and many many everyday things increase risk, like pumping gas, sunbathing, and a host of common consumer products. I know your concern seems warranted, but I assure you, it's coming off a bit silly. No offense intended.

Stay safe, but remember that while mitigating and weighing risks is a good thing, a risk free life is not much of a life at all, and even then, it won't save you in the end.

[Edited on 26-2-2015 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 25-2-2015 at 15:27

If you've sniffed SO3 on a few occasions, and that was more than a week ago, yet you feel fine, and can still actually See, Breathe, have Hair and have working Skin, then you're as OK as you can expect.

A quick whiff of SO3 must have been nasty, yet will not wipe you out just yet.

Prevention is the best you can do for the future, by not being stupid (which i'm sure you're not).

Get stupid with some compounds, and you'll die a lot earlier than you'd like.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 15:07

Cou...

With all due respect young fella.
Perhaps chemistry is not for you.

The last posts I read, and responded to for you were in the metal fume fever thread. In that thread we all gave you the exact same advice.

Life long CT scans... insanity... be careful...

If you were a lion tamer, you would have been lunch by now. Maybe take up a hobby that does not worry you so much because it is the worry that will shorten your life. Trust me on this. Stress is the killer.

Make models but use egg whites for glue.

I'm really trying to help you in an Ex New York'r kinda way. You're scaring yourself to death. :)

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 15:25

As others have said, the high reactivity of Cl2O probably mean it's not mutagenic. However... continual damage to the lungs most likely increases the incidence of cancer, just as with Barrett's esophagus and the upper GI tract. Doubt it would be clinically significant, and acute pulmonary edema would be my primary concern.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 16:12

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
Cou...

With all due respect young fella.
Perhaps chemistry is not for you.

The last posts I read, and responded to for you were in the metal fume fever thread. In that thread we all gave you the exact same advice.

Life long CT scans... insanity... be careful...

If you were a lion tamer, you would have been lunch by now. Maybe take up a hobby that does not worry you so much because it is the worry that will shorten your life. Trust me on this. Stress is the killer.

Make models but use egg whites for glue.

I'm really trying to help you in an Ex New York'r kinda way. You're scaring yourself to death. :)

Yes, it is time for me to quit chemistry. I'm just too worried that I have a higher chance of lung or laryngeal cancer from the maybe 3 or 4 major SO3 exposures I've had over 2 years. SO3 definitely isn't as harmful as smoking, though, based on studies done in workers who work with sulfuric acid.

[Edited on 27-2-2015 by Cou]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 16:17

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  

Yes, it is time for me to quit chemistry. I'm just too worried that I have a higher chance of lung or laryngeal cancer from the maybe 3 or 4 major SO3 exposures I've had over 2 years.

Fight a little bit will ya!
Just because you have had a couple of (minor) frights doesn't mean you should give up. Besides you could get equivalent frights if your hobby was go-karting or football or investing in shares.
I think everyone is saying, be informed, take care but don't lose perspective.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 16:49

Well I guess you're right... Bicyclists have the chance of permanent brain damage from an accident, football players could break their backs and become permanently paralyzed. The people who make those youtube prank videos and make thousands of dollars from ad revenue, could get shot by someone from their pranks.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 17:47

Forgot this guy...

tightrope_1.jpg - 77kB

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 19:37

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
Well I guess you're right... Bicyclists have the chance of permanent brain damage from an accident, football players could break their backs and become permanently paralyzed. The people who make those youtube prank videos and make thousands of dollars from ad revenue, could get shot by someone from their pranks.

What pessimistic way to look at life, everything is a risk sure, but you won't learn anything if you don't take risks.
Bicyclists, getting brain damage? It that what you think of when you picture a bicyclist?

kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-3-2015 at 07:06

You should worry about chloramines.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top