Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Does Cl2O cause lung cancer?
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 14-3-2015 at 08:42

Cou, one should worry about what all the stress from all these fears is doing to ones health and what the long term effects of that will be. Maybe you should consider getting out of chemistry. In just this thread you went from Cl2O to SO3 then mentioned getting scans done with no thought to the fact radiation could cause that which you fear so greatly.

Reminds me of an article I read many years ago about injuries in car crashes. They stated statistics indicating drunks fared better than sober people. It seems a sober person being aware of the impending crash tensed up tightening all body muscles to an extreme level whereas the drunk person remained very relaxed. This had a direct effect upon the sudden deceleration injuries the body received. IIRC the study involved measuring blood alcohol levels correlating this to injuries. No I have no link the internet was years in the future at the time. Of course a different thing than stress induced health issues but a fair analogy if you ask me.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 20:34

Quote: Originally posted by kecskesajt  
You should worry about chloramines.

I agree, one exposure can induce a respiratory condition (for example, asthma) in some.
----------------------------------------------------------

The reaction of Cl2O and water (or water vapor in your lungs) forms HOCl. Now, here is an interesting quote from Wikipedia on Hypochlorous acid (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypochlorous_acid ):

"Reactivity of HClO with biomolecules
Hypochlorous acid reacts with a wide variety of biomolecules, including DNA, RNA,[5][10][11][12] fatty acid groups, cholesterol[13][14][15][16][17][18][19][20] and proteins.[8][16][21][22][23][24][25]"

So, I am not convinced that Cl2O is seemingly benign given that its ability to destroy/rewrite ones DNA with a dab of water producing Hypochlorous acid.

As many user's of chlorine bleach may have some exposure after opening (actually, contact with air containing CO2, which can slowly form HOCl and with time and especially sunlight exposure, a lowering of pH favoring free Cl2O), the commercial aspects, in my opinion, can at times, trump an independent risk assessment. Also, moist Calcium hypochlorite appears to readily form Cl2O/Hypochlorous in contact with CO2, or moist air containing Carbon dioxide, making it an even more problematic product.

lf you don't believe me, read what Wikipedia currently has to say about NH2Cl following its expanded commercial use in water purification.

[Edited on 10-5-2015 by AJKOER]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top