Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Transparent Sodium?
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 05:55

Inert gas is easy. You can even use a helium balloon if you can't get nitrogen.
To generate nitrogen, drop a hot solution of sodium nitrite in pressure equalized addition funnel onto warm ammonium chloride, nitrate, sulfate or any common salt. It's best to dry the gas by bubbling it through concentrated sulfuric acid, which will also get rid of ammonia impurities.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 06:03

Also, this flame that burns briefly on the sodium, it just occurred to me that it might be a small amount of residual paraffin used to shield the sodium from oxidising. Simply dabbing the sodium on some filter paper is not going to remove the film of oil clinging to it.

To test this hypothesis, I suggest dipping the tiny piece of sodium in some ethanol with tongs, then waiting for the ethanol to evaporate when pulled out before putting the sodium bead on water.

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 06:48

Quote: Originally posted by deltaH  
Also, this flame that burns briefly on the sodium, it just occurred to me that it might be a small amount of residual paraffin used to shield the sodium from oxidising. Simply dabbing the sodium on some filter paper is not going to remove the film of oil clinging to it.

To test this hypothesis, I suggest dipping the tiny piece of sodium in some ethanol with tongs, then waiting for the ethanol to evaporate when pulled out before putting the sodium bead on water.

If you clean up the outside of your piece of sodium, then cut out a cubic (e.g.) piece from that, then you are working essentially oil free.

Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 09:11

One time I put about 50 grams of sodium in a jar with rocks to weight it down and a few holes punched in the lid. The jar sank to the bottom of the backwater slough I had previously been exploding sodium on the surface of the water. The jar bubbled for a seemingly long time but didn't crack or do anything fun like I thought it would because of the lack of oxygen. I was only 15 at the time and didn't quite grasp what would happen.
The pieces that I threw on the surface however exploded in such a way as to propagate a machine gun jungle warfare sound when a tossed single hunk of metal became molten and subdivided into several pieces after the first explosion. My friend who was with me couldn't stop talking about it to his friends later. It was fun I have to admit.
Anyway would a piece of sodium held underwater in some sort of quartz glass chamber be anything to study as it melted but didn't explode? It could bubble away but not take fire. Of course this would upset the conditions that occur in air but maybe it would provide some insight of how the byproducts behave if enough heat were generated. I guess it would be about the same as using an inert atmosphere except the "air" or "inert gas" would be hydrogen.
The electrostatic properties would be fun to harness if you could use sodium in this way to generate a very large spark somehow for a demonstration.

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by Morgan]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 11:09

I suspect that a hydrogen atmosphere would cause NaH to be produced,
even nitrogen can form Na3N but as it decomposes above 87C I'm unsure of the result.
Sodium is really reactive!

I've been looking for a denser-than-air gas, or a liquid less dense than sodium
that is easily available and doesn't react with molten sodium or NaOH .
argon is the best so far but I'm still looking

meanwhile found a few relevant YouTube videos.
I like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIGMfai_ICg

Also, been doing a few sums;
1g of sodium has about 4197 Coulombs available
maybe enough to form a plasma or sparks beneath the sodium?
the sodium ball is obviously above it's melting point of 97.8C
and below it's boiling point of 883C
hydrogen spontaneously ignites in air above 500C so it could be that simple
or it could be electrical ignition?
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 11:21

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  

even nitrogen can form Na3N but as it decomposes above 87C I'm unsure of the result.

No it can't. Just because it doesn't decompose readily at STP doesn't mean it can form at STP.

Quote:
Originally posted on Wikipedia
Sodium nitrite can be generated by combining atomic beams of sodium and nitrogen deposited onto a low-temperature sapphire substrate.

Doesn't sound like something that's going to form anywhere near water or at high temperatures.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 12:12

OK, thanks for clarifying that, my mistake.

Regarding the first YouTube video on transparent sodium that I watched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJGVZNth68k

there is an interesting similarity to part of the Wikipedia article on sodium
"Sodium at standard temperature and pressure is a soft silvery metal, that oxidizes to grayish white unless immersed in oil or inert gas. Sodium can be readily cut with a knife, and is a good conductor of electricity. These properties change dramatically at elevated pressures: at 1.5 Mbar, the color changes from silvery metallic to black; at 1.9 Mbar the material becomes transparent, with a red color; and at 3 Mbar sodium is a clear and transparent solid"

just coincidence?

P.S. can anyone suggest a transparent liquid less dense than and un-reactive with sodium?
GOT IT ... simple hydrocarbons like kerosene.

P.P.S. checked with my son, no high speed video capture available.

[Edited on 6-3-2015 by Sulaiman]
420MLGnOhEADsCOPEpro
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 14:19

i agree with deltaH about the transparent end product being NaOH with Na2O dissolved in it

judging by the color of radiated light it never gets much hotter than 500C so we can rule out boiling Na 883C NaOH 1388C Na2O 1950C or molten Na2O 1132C
thus i conclude that the explosion of the transparent droplet must be caused by water
i assume it's something like this
water is pulled into the droplet where it reacts with Na2O
water that rushes into the droplet increases the temperature, decreases the boiling point of dissolved water, decreasing the surface tension and increasing the mass of the droplet
after some amount of time one of two things happens
some of the water boils causing the droplet to break
or the increased temperature and water content reduces the surface tension enough that the droplet breaks
then the hot NaOH solution hits the water causing it to boil
thus explosion

i think that in an inert atmosphere the Na would react with NaOH to form Na2O and H2 thus producing a similar result to when in air

the droplet can't be sodium because it's not reflective
as far as i'm aware a transparent metal is effectively a contradiction as a metallic bond is reflective by nature
metals can be transparent if they are thin enough though but that's confusing quantum mechanics stuff that can't be scaled up
so it can't be transparent metal (as the droplet is more than a few hundred nanometers thick)
sodium can be transparent however this is in one of it's electride states and requires a pressure of 3 Mbar
so it can't be an electride because the droplet surely wasn't under that kind of pressure (however there may have been small amounts of electride sodium produced by internal voltage gradients while the was still metallic sodium but this more resembles sodium ions stuck to an electrode in an electrolytic capacitor than electride ions and there lots of weird properties of such ions so it's hardly anything like an electride)

also for anybody wondering about reflection
metals are reflective because metallic bonds are basically pools of free floating electrons
when that pool of electrons is struck by a photon it matches the oscillations of the electric field and thus absorbs and re-emits it
molten salts can't do this because all the electrons are bound to an atom
though i think molten salts can reflect radiowaves and microwaves because
this is because radiowaves and microwaves are huge compared to visible light and thus the ions can match the field enough to absorb and re-emit them however there are some big differences between reflection of visible light and microwaves and radiowaves
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 14:26

Quote: Originally posted by 420MLGnOhEADsCOPEpro  

[...]the droplet can't be sodium because it's not reflective
as far as i'm aware a transparent metal is effectively a contradiction as a metallic bond is reflective by nature

That's where coulombic explosion comes in:
Quote: Originally posted by Molecular Manipulations  
reflective sodium comes from only the outer valance electron, once removed it becomes a colorless, non-reflective ion. It seems likely that ionized sodium, by itself would be colorless.

-The manipulator
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 18:01

The strange thing is that when sodium burns in air, it forms a white coral-like structure that turns yellowish (sodium peroxide) when it cools sufficiently. There is a period when it turns black, before it goes white IIRC. In the video, I didn't see any such formation. I still say steam plays a major role.

I still don't see a strong case for using an inert atmosphere. I still see a case for burning a piece of sodium in steam... Unless I'm missing something?

If the events in the video line up with my observations from when I started messing around with a Downs cell design then the reaction can be quenched with mineral oil at any stage. I pulled some translucent beads as well as some red beads. The explanation for the red beads at the time was that the oxide layer was creating an interference pattern or something like that. I don't buy it.

I'm giving some thought to how NOT to destroy my camera and still get the shot before I roll up my sleeves and play ball.

Chemical CURIOSITY KILLED THE CATalyst.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 19:36

The reason for the inert atmosphere is to try to eliminate any reaction between Na and air. This simplifies things a bit and enables one to observe the reaction with water without a flame getting in the way.
Argon is available at welders' supplies. You can also buy a can at a wine shop. Helium might be your cheapest inert gas if you onky want a small amount but you will need to contain it since it is so light. A bell jar or glass bowl might work.

I expressed doubt on Na2O being produced because its MP is sohigh and we clearly have a melt. It is possible that it is a solution of some Na2O in NaOH. But I haven't checked a phase diagram and I am not sure what temps we are talking about here. I doubt there is a sphere of molten NaOH reacting on the inside with its metallic skin. Where would the H2 go?
I also thought the bead might contain some water. This would mean that it doesn't contain the oxide.
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 04:30

Maybe some sort of molten sodium + molten sodium oxide + molten sodium hydroxide... think about how the filter paper does not allow water to join the blob immediately. The explosion suggests that it has not reacted completely, so it cannot be pure sodium hydroxide. My guess would be either a Coulombic explosion or some sort of solution of sodium and sodium oxide in molten something.

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 07:44

Maybe it would be interesting to try some coin shaped disks to offer more surface area if a coulombic effect is taking place. Although the smaller sodium pieces once melted take on a somewhat spherical shape, there might be something to elicit in the first second or so when initial contact with the water is made, dumping more charge more suddenly with intimate contact. Or maybe not.

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by Morgan]
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 08:47

Eddygp, that's not a bad theory. But theres one problem. I know molten sodium hydroxide about 60 deg. above it's melting point will dissolve sodium, per experience with a caster cell. But I always thought it was an irreversible reaction, not just a regular solvent-solute solution, but rather the hydroxide ion oxidized the sodium and reduced hydrogen to elemental. I highly doubt sodium wouldn't reduce hydroxide in such a situation.

-The manipulator
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 09:31

Morgan - sodium 'tortillas' tend to break up into multiple spheres.

j_sum - Might be worth a try if nothing else, to have a reference. There shouldn't be a flame but there will be steam.

eddy - Did you ever observe the hydride salt in the leftovers of the Castner cell? I would regularly encounter it when dissecting the cooled salt block of a Downs cell when sodium bicarbonate was added to the melt.

Could we make a spreadsheet with all possible elements, molecules and transitional species in this scheme on X and Y and figure the HOF of each for reference?

How about a RBF 1/3 filled with water, Ar purge and gentle flow, film from below and hope to have a little magnification and clear sight up through the apparatus? There shouldn't be any explosion or other RBF-destroying events.....right?? The phone/camera should survive too...??

Anybody have an underwater camera or one of those water proof cell phones? ;)

Chemical CURIOSITY KILLED THE CATalyst.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 05:53

My five individually sealed 28g sodium ingots arrived today
but I have not made all of the safety preparations for experimenting yet

meanwhile, could someone check these calculations for me as the results are surprising;

1 mole = 23g = 6.022 x 10^23 atoms/ions = (6.022 x 10^23) / (6.241 x 10^18) = 96500 Coulomb

So 1g of sodium reacting in 10 seconds = 96500 / (28 x 10) = about 420 Amps average !

This would mean;

phenomenal I^2 x R heating
and
if the molten bead is at times supported by the Leidenfrost effect then
there could be a huge voltage difference between the sodium and the water due to
dV = dQ/C where C (capacitance) would be very small. (V=voltage, Q=charge)

This is why I want to try to view the voltage difference on my oscilloscope.
I have a high voltage, high frequency probe that will add 100 MOhm plus 3pF to 5 pF 'load'
so results may be affected by the probe but I should get an indication of the effect.
I still have no idea how to attach the probe,
I have no platinum wire so I will first try very thin copper wire and (hopefully) progress from there.

I also want to 'collect' the transparent bead for analysis,
I suspect (for no scientifically researched reason, just a guess) that there is massive surface tension on the bead,
so touching it may cause instant detonation (to be determined)
so i'm thinking of using a puff of air to blow the transparent bead on to a ceramic tile.
Any better/other ideas welcome.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 10:20

Couldn't edit my last post, hope double post is ok.

Unpacked one of the 28g sodium ingots today,
only a fraction of a millimeter surface corrosion found.
I cut it up to fit under (Johnsons baby) oil in a small container.

Good news;
I found it very easy to repeatedly produce 'transparent sodium' spheres in a quick test.

Bad news;
whilst setting up I broke the head off of my camera tripod :(
and I did not want to try cutting up the sodium or experimenting with one hand holding the camera.
so no video yet.
Safety procedures for collecting the spheres and electronic measurements not ready yet.
Kitsune1
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 14:17

Very interesting Sulaiman, I look forward to hearing more about your experimentations with this.

I have a thought on this subject that I don't think anyone has yet touched on yet, how would an identical reaction take place with Li or K in place of Na? would a similar reaction be possible? How would the rate of reaction vary between the group 1 metals?

As has been pointed out previously, the leidenfrost effect certainly seems plausible to be at least one part of what is going on here.
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 14:28

Couldn't edit my last post, hope double post is ok.

Unpacked one of the 28g sodium ingots today,
only a fraction of a millimeter surface corrosion found.
I cut it up to fit under (Johnsons baby) oil in a small container.

Good news;
I found it very easy to repeatedly produce 'transparent sodium' spheres in a quick test.

Bad news;
whilst setting up I broke the head off of my camera tripod :(
and I did not want to try cutting up the sodium or experimenting with one hand holding the camera.
so no video yet.
Safety procedures for collecting the spheres and electronic measurements not ready yet.

That it is repeatable is great.
It actually made me smile.
Collecting the spheres may be a serious task.

[Edited on 11-3-2015 by morganbw]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 14:45

Quote: Originally posted by Kitsune1  
I have a thought on this subject that I don't think anyone has yet touched on yet, how would an identical reaction take place with Li or K in place of Na? would a similar reaction be possible?

I reported on an experiment with K upthread. No Li done yet.
I have given considerable thought to a mechanism nd can account for most observations. However, reporting this will take some time that I don't have at the moment. Watch this space.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 14:55

Very interesting Sulaiman, I look forward to hearing more about your experimentations with this.

I have a thought on this subject that I don't think anyone has yet touched on yet, how would an identical reaction take place with Li or K in place of Na? would a similar reaction be possible? How would the rate of reaction vary between the group 1 metals?

As has been pointed out previously, the leidenfrost effect certainly seems plausible to be at least one part of what is going on here.

A similar effect has been observed using sodium/potassium amalgam (liquid at room temperature)
during research into the mechanism proposed for the sudden violent explosions ... 'coulombic explosion'
excellent video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmlAYnFF_s8
420MLGnOhEADsCOPEpro
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 18:09

i just noticed something after watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIGMfai_ICg
he says that the droplet is a dark blue not black in this video (which seems to show the same reaction as is in question here)
i was wondering why the droplet was so dark before becoming transparent and then i remembered that alkali metals dissolved in ammonia are blue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electride
this video shows that it's about the same dark blue we're seeing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JefumJFatsw

i think this is strong evidence that an electride state is present at least while it's blue
is it possible this is [Na(H2O)x]+ e- (i don't know what x would be)
i find it unlikely that [Na(H2O)x]+ e- is the electride though when i heard about electrides i though it was odd that the ammonia doesn't react into Na+ NH2- (wikipedia says that this happens slowly but i don't get why)

this is definitely relevant to the composition and it gives me an idea as to how it might explode

consider that it's sodium with some amount of hydroxide OH-, some amount of hydride H- and some amount of oxide O-2 dissolved in it that allows it to take on an electride structure
i theorize this is possible considering if there are sodium ions Na+ in the sodium metal then they would often trade places and at some concentration would be more stable in the electride phase where no electron swapping is required to switch places relative to the anions
this should prevent a columbic explosion by allowing some flow of electrons to the Na+ that is reacting with the water
if for whatever reason the sodium was no longer an electride it would explode as it usually does
this may be occurring at the surface of the sodium that is reacting with the water due to a change in ion concentration or temperature

edit i think you could test if it's an electride by holding a strong magnet next to it
so if anybody is going to test it and has a rare earth magnet lying around i'd suggest taping it to a stick and waving it by the drop at various points during the experiment

[Edited on 12-3-2015 by 420MLGnOhEADsCOPEpro]
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 04:17

A similar effect has been observed using sodium/potassium amalgam (liquid at room temperature)
during research into the mechanism proposed for the sudden violent explosions ... 'coulombic explosion'
excellent video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmlAYnFF_s8

I was reluctant to watch the video because of its length but I am glad that I did.
Thank you for the link
Kitsune1
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 13:34

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

I reported on an experiment with K upthread. No Li done yet.
I have given considerable thought to a mechanism nd can account for most observations. However, reporting this will take some time that I don't have at the moment. Watch this space.

I happen to have some Lithium left over from a few months back which should be ideal for trying this out with. Hopefully I'll be able to find some time tomorrow to do a few runs, will report back once done.

Really interesting video, a bit on the long side but the content does justify it.
Wizzard
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 17:53

Perhaps a light source with a special spectral characteristic to differentiate molten NaOH, molten NaO and molten Na?
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top