Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hi
Bright Spark
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 05:23
Hi

Hi everyone,

I have just joined up thi ssite becuase it seems to have the best forum on the net and the people here seem to be like minded so here I am, Hello!

I am a 33 year old electrical engineer, I work for an enormous corporation and I get to do some very interesting things all the time I get paid well and my company are funding me to do a PhD in electrical engineering of which I have a few years left

At work I make lots of hardware and write software (invariably C programs) to control mechanical/chemical process and its very interesting

Theres a team of engineers and scientists at work and we all work together but theres one guy who is around the same aga as me who has a PhD in chemistry and its him who has sparked my interest in chemistry

I am planning on getting a home lab and then building on that and trying to learn chemistry in a practical sense, at the minute I know little

So after reading a bit on here I have decided stealth is the way forward, I will tell no one about my chemistry interests even my friend at work I think its best if he didn't know which will be hard but I think I would be best suited getting my info from places like this in order to keep things secret anyway I just wanted to say hello in the first instance but look out for my threads as I will be first after advice on what to buy and where to get it but I need to get my head straight first so I understand what I am trying to do

Regards
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 05:40

Welcome aboard Bright Spark!

I'm new here as well, and I have to say, It's a GREAT forum.
Lot's of Really smart people. I learn something every time I log on.

There is a fella here, Dr. Bob... He is helping a friend sell off a huge inventory of lab-ware. He would be the go to guy for getting you started.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15667

I can also highly recommend DesChem from Ebay. Their prices are better than good, and their quality is right up there w/ the best of them.

Enjoy!

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 05:40

Welcome. You should have fun here.
As a matter of getting used to the site, can I suggest you read the FAQ. Especially section 2. I know I didn't and... well there are reasons for everything said. For example, protocol in this subforum is to begin threads with a citation to a procedure. I am sure that a mod will be along soon to move this to "Forum Matters".

Others differ on this point, but I doubt that stealth is the best way forward. If you aren't doing anything wrong then you lose nothing by being transparent. And in your case you will get the support of a colleague with considerable knowledge, which will be extremely valuable

Large numbers of people here have started their journey on copper chemistry. (Do a search.) One reason for this is that you learn a lot in a small space of time. The colours of the various compounds synthesised are extremely interesting. The reagents are generally readily available and the equipment needs low. There are few issues with toxicity. And last but by no means least, you aren't playing with anything that is going to raise red flags. If you have a bunch of interesting looking copper compounds to display and also have proper documentation in your lab journal then you can answer anyone's questions more than adequately when you begin project number two.
Bright Spark
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 06:49

Zombie thanks, I will check it out later, today me and my partner are going away for the night, its her birthday so I am short on time right now

I only discovered this place yesterday but its a great place, I particularly like the liberal thinking attitude on here

j_sum1

Thanks, I think I will enjoy it here, I love maths and I spent a long time studying advanced math and electrical engineering, I have shit loads of experience with electronics, microprocessors and programming theory through practice

I get paid to develop commercial products and reasearch and develop others, I have a lot of experience in process control so I have had a lot of exposure to other engineering disciplines mostly mechanical I also spent about 10 years working on the mains in industrial commercial installations so I think I can offer a lot and am well equipped to do lots of things, I like DIY and this is an area of massive interest its amazing what you can do with some cheap components however because I have very little experience I don't really know what inventions and contraptions would be best to make, a magnetic stirrer hotplate is on the radar but I reckon I willl buy one first to see what it is I need to beat, if that makes sense

Now learning chemistry for me will not just be fun it will actually make me a better engineer in its unique way

Now as far as stealth goes this is the best way for me, I live in the UK so the laws here are hardly the most relaxed but I have to be honest here, cards on the table, I am a 33 year old lad, just a kid to some people and I have had my fun should we say, I grew up during the rave scene and drugs were everywhere anyway I sorted my head out and really did make something of my life and today I have a little lad a nice house and a good life but the thing with me is I cant stand alchohol, its pure poison IMO and my vice (judge me if you like to) is that I like to get stoned which is pretty common knowledge, its a shame the persecution that you face over this but what I am saying is that I am known as a stoner and if anyone sees me with a chemistry set then its not looking good

The reality is this, I have a little lad in the house and hes only 7 so theres no way that I am starting up a meth lab or is there anyway I am willing to have illegal stuff in the house or dangerous reactions that could present danger to him, call me soft if you like but he needs me to be there

But again cards on the table and looking to the future I can't help finding those damn youtube videos on Shulgin so damn interesting! and the erowid archives

I am interested in the chemistry and I hope that its posssible to build some equipment do a whole bunch of experiments completely legally and pretty safely but at the end of the day have an understanding of all this organic chemistry stuff so that its possible to reach the stars should I choose to!

I think stealth is the wise move, like other hobbies, no smell tell or sell

Anyway thanks for the welcome, I will read the stuff already here and I think first I should brush up on the legal aspects as its sometimes difficult to see exactly at what point laws are broken

Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1-3-2015 at 06:58
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 13:20

Welcomings to the site.

Quote: Originally posted by Bright Spark  
theres one guy who is around the same aga as me

Has habitual drunkeness now been given the term aga ?

Is it now common parlance in the US to say 'Woah, i was totally aga last night' ?

I feel honoured :)

[Edited on 1-3-2015 by aga]

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 15:04

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
'Woah, i was totally aga last night' ?

I have it on authority that any word will do.

[Michael McIntyre]
"I was totally bungalowed last night"
[/Michael McIntyre]

[Edited on 1-3-2015 by j_sum1]
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 15:33

I think it's better to start on non-metallic chemistry with substances that don't have any long lasting effects, such as sulfur, even H2S (kills you in large amounts, but isn't chronically toxic in small amounts, not carcinogenic)

[Edited on 1-3-2015 by Cou]
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 16:05

welcome aboard Bright Spark. we are all keen to have your expertise and hope you are able to cast another opinion in forum discussions. you may find *neptunium* an interesting source of some technical engineering/chemistry crossover threads.

Beginning construction of periodic table display
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 16:07

re "aga" I had to explain the term "pisspot" to a non aussie recently. hmmmm

Beginning construction of periodic table display
Bright Spark
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-3-2015 at 04:06

Thanks for the welcome, I must admit my spelling and grammar arent the best that you will have seen! typos arent rare either!

I googled Neptunium, never heard of that one and I have checked out the Deschem glassware, I am looking out for a 2nd hand magnetic stirrer/hotplate, I have time on my hands, I am in no rush and there are many things that rank higher on the importance list so its just casual a bit at a time when I have time which will make it even more fun

I will have a look at some of the build threads, I hagven't seen a microcontroller yet and I must admit I expected to at least see an Arduino, do any of you guys ever do datalogging? to monitor temps pressures etc? in recent years this has become pretty achievable for the average joe maybe its not that helpful though, I dunno

Lots to look at

Thanks
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

Mood: Vivified!

[*] posted on 3-3-2015 at 17:10

Welcome,

I am sure your spelling and grammar aren't as awful as mine. They havm't kicked me around to hard just yet.

I just made you read this very pointless signature. How does it feel?

Go To Top