Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: A thought for lab supplies...
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 11:23

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I'd be interested in 10-20 of those, depending on what my budget is looking like when I'm ready to buy them.

On the list...

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Hellafunt
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 11:37

count me in for a duran duran cap, haha. and ill take 10 ampules also please.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 11:41

First semantic...

I never thought of the others selling equipment here... That is definitely my bad...

Straight up! If Dr. Bob or others have it... Buy it from them first. They are making a living or helping someone.

I am just filling a void in the supply line where I can help people... If this idea will hurt anyone here please let me know what products to stay away from, and that will be the law!

I'll never take bread of someones table.

That said...

Dr. Bob, Do you have enough test tubes maybe w/ lids to fill a rack?
I'd certainly take a rack full, and a second empty rack. If no tubes I'll still buy two racks.

Also one of the eppendorf racks. I JUST ordered 100 20ml vials..., and 50, 50ml vials.

I'll pm you. I'm heading to the bank to make a deposit.

Perfect timing!!!

Zom.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 11:43

Quote: Originally posted by Hellafunt  

Dr. Bobs 1ml ampules or the 10ml Weatons?

Zom.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 12:20

I'm not hurt, just don't want people to pay more for something than they have to. My problem is that I just can't get organized enough to get a complete list, since many of the things I have are loose, or partial lots or mixed all up. I don't want to take on too much, as I am already slow answering some messages. But I am trying to sell as much as I can here, so as to keep the prices low, as Ebay fees are high enough that I have to charge more to sell the same stuff there. And Amazon is even worse, especially since they control everything including the shipping fees.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 14:28

Quote: Originally posted by Hellafunt  

On the list

Zom.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 14:30

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
I'm not hurt, just don't want people to pay more for something than they have to. My problem is that I just can't get organized enough to get a complete list, since many of the things I have are loose, or partial lots or mixed all up. I don't want to take on too much, as I am already slow answering some messages. But I am trying to sell as much as I can here, so as to keep the prices low, as Ebay fees are high enough that I have to charge more to sell the same stuff there. And Amazon is even worse, especially since they control everything including the shipping fees.

Anything I have to do to avoid stepping on toes, I will.

You all know the lay of the land here, so whatever advice to avoid any issues w/ other site vendors... Let me know. ;)

Zom.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 14:31

It looks like you guys have enough to order these cap things...

Can someone show me a link, and that way we are all on the same page.

OR if this is an item Dr. Bob wants to handle?

Maybe we could team up? I'll find the items, and place the orders, and Dr. Bob takes care of the sales?

I don't want anything out of it so either way... It's all good.

[Edited on 3-5-2015 by Zombie]

Zom.
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 17:37

Here is the link to the Duran cap page:
http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/Search?keyWord=DURAN%...

(Click the link. You can also just search for Duran Laboratory Premium Caps.)

Do we want the GL25 or the GL45 caps?

Dr. Bob: do you have borosilicate bottles (reagent or media bottles) with these cap sizes?
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 17:39

MrHomeScientist/careysub - I still have lots of bottles, but recently found a lined white cap which appears to be pretty resistant for them, but much less expensive that the Duran red PTFE caps (even discounted they run ~$10 each new - http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/z153958?...). If you are interested in testing a couple, I could let you try them as an independent tester, if they work, I could sell some here.

Does anyone here need 1 ml glass ampules? - I do have some of those.

Yes I am in the market for some 1 mL ampoules, and am willing to try one of your white capped bottles. (I am in the market for 5 and 10 mL ampoules as well).

[Edited on 6-3-2015 by careysub]
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 18:11

http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/fsproductdetail?store...

That's the page w/ the caps.

Let me know what you wish to do.

If Dr. Bobs are just as good... Go for it.
If you NEED these, we'll hook it up so no ones toes get stepped on.

Zom.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 19:48

Zombie,

If you will check on the 10 ml ampules, I can provide 1 ml ones as long as they last. I will send a sample Schott/Duran type cap to careysub to test along with a few 1 ml ampules. I have included those types caps with a few other orders, if people want to test them out and see how they do, I can get more of those fairly reasonably if people like them. If they work, they would be much cheaper than the Fischer ones, about $2 each, but if not, I would be happy for you to sell the Duram ones. I think Aldrich sells the red Schott caps for less each. I don't have much experience with the white ones Fischer sells, they look similar but slightly different to the ones I have. I also have a couple of the red GL-25 Schott caps (max temp 200 C), and a few GL-14 caps left around.

This has reminded me about a few things I have found recently, which are hard to list.

Similarly, if people want TLC plates, I have some older 20 x 20 cm silica gel glass plates left (analytical 250 um) and preparative plates (1000 um) that I would sell for a fraction of what they would cost new. I had some smaller plates, but have sold them all.

A few other items, I have a variety of plastic droppers left, I have made up about 10 bags of about 50 ea, which contain about 4 or 5 sizes/types each, for $1 each. I have a few complete boxes of a few size left, but the samples would last most people a long time.

I also found a few bags of rubber stoppers recently, sizes 0-5 and then few more from 8-11, plus a few others. I can make up a bag of one or two of every size (about a dozen) I have left for $1 as well. Some are solid, some have one or two holes. I can try to find certain ones for people, but there are many types.

Other items I have bits of are some odd pieces of tubing, odd clamps and hardware, glass and plastic fittings/Tees/Ys, random caps and lids for many vials, and so much more. So if people just need a few of something, let me know and I can look for it. No assurances, but if I have it, I will sell it cheap or often just for the postage. I just need to get a lot of this stuff out of my house eventually.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 19:57

Zombie,

If you will check on the 10 ml ampules, I can provide 1 ml ones as long as they last. I will send a sample Schott/Duran type cap to careysub to test along with a few 1 ml ampules. I have included those types caps with a few other orders, if people want to test them out and see how they do, I can get more of those fairly reasonably if people like them. If they work, they would be much cheaper than the Fischer ones, about $2 each, but if not, I would be happy for you to sell the Duram ones. I think Aldrich sells the red Schott caps for less each. I don't have much experience with the white ones Fischer sells, they look similar but slightly different to the ones I have. I also have a couple of the red GL-25 Schott caps (max temp 200 C), and a few GL-14 caps left around.

This has reminded me about a few things I have found recently, which are hard to list.

Similarly, if people want TLC plates, I have some older 20 x 20 cm silica gel glass plates left (analytical 250 um) and preparative plates (1000 um) that I would sell for a fraction of what they would cost new. I had some smaller plates, but have sold them all.

A few other items, I have a variety of plastic droppers left, I have made up about 10 bags of about 50 ea, which contain about 4 or 5 sizes/types each, for $1 each. I have a few complete boxes of a few size left, but the samples would last most people a long time.

I also found a few bags of rubber stoppers recently, sizes 0-5 and then few more from 8-11, plus a few others. I can make up a bag of one or two of every size (about a dozen) I have left for $1 as well. Some are solid, some have one or two holes. I can try to find certain ones for people, but there are many types.

Other items I have bits of are some odd pieces of tubing, odd clamps and hardware, glass and plastic fittings/Tees/Ys, random caps and lids for many vials, and so much more. So if people just need a few of something, let me know and I can look for it. No assurances, but if I have it, I will sell it cheap or often just for the postage. I just need to get a lot of this stuff out of my house eventually.

You're a true gentleman Dr. Bob.

I'm very happy to have run across you, and this site.

As I get my "Purchase Approvals" from the Mrs... We may shift a lot of those items from your house to mine! :D

Edit: Hers!!! (she saw this):mad:

[Edited on 3-6-2015 by Zombie]

Zom.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 06:18

I have some media bottles left in GL45, a few 100, 250, maybe a 500, and several 1000 ml ones.

I think I have a box of more of them somewhere. I'll try to find them and put them in the inventory. Many did not have caps, which is why I looked around to find more caps, but the white ones I found seem like they are pretty good. They have a Teflon liner, just not sure if the white plastic is as good as the hard red caps for chemical resistance. I know that it handles CHCl3 well.

Bob
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 07:09

I have some media bottles left in GL45, a few 100, 250, maybe a 500, and several 1000 ml ones.

I think I have a box of more of them somewhere. I'll try to find them and put them in the inventory. Many did not have caps, which is why I looked around to find more caps, but the white ones I found seem like they are pretty good. They have a Teflon liner, just not sure if the white plastic is as good as the hard red caps for chemical resistance. I know that it handles CHCl3 well.

Bob

The employ Woelen's electrolysis bromine procedure it looks two bottles are called for, a large one for the initial bromine formation reaction (which involves a few hundred mL of solution), and a small one to eventually store the separated bromine in.

So a 1000 mL (or 500 mL) and a 100 mL bottle would be called for.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 09:03

I had to do a little research but I think those caps will work. They didn't look at all like the ones I was thinking of. This is what I originally had in mind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromine#mediaviewer/File:Bromin...

Some time ago woelen sent me a link to a seller in the Netherlands (I think) that sells what he uses: http://www.hinmeijer.nl/product/120696/Dop_met_verzegelring....
Option 2 is the red cap with Teflon liner.

After looking at the Schott Duran website, I think the Fisher caps are the same. Teflon lined at least. I have a few 100mL Pyrex media bottles that I would use the caps for, and I believe they are GL45. So this one: http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/itemdetail?storeId=10...

I'd want 2-3 of them. I would also take 20-30 10mL ampoules.

Edit: after actually reading the thread, I was also concerned that the white caps aren't as high quality as the hard plastic blue/red ones. It might be the case that all that really matters is the seal between the liner and bottle.

[Edited on 3-6-2015 by MrHomeScientist]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 10:23

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
It might be the case that all that really matters is the seal between the liner and bottle.

This is the same question I have. I have been buying 100 mL amber bottles from Qorpak. These have the ptfe cap liner and come in both narrow mouth and wide mouth. They are sold by the case of 24 ea. These bottles don't look as rugged as those offered by Schott-Duran, ie, the caps aren't as beefy. I have been satisfied with them except in the case of bromine. For bromine I have decided to go with the Wheaton 10 mL ampules.

I tried to attach a picture of my bottles but it would not upload.

Zombie please put me down for an additional 10ea of the 10mL ampules for a total of 20.

[Edited on 6-3-2015 by Magpie]

Qorpak bottles 1.jpg - 94kB

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 10:28

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
First listing...

http://wheaton.com/10-ml-ampule-clear-pre-scored.html
Item# 176780

Your Price: $90.14
1 CS is 144 EA .6259 cents each (I'll inquire on shipping from them, and set up an account there.)

10 spoken for / Magpie
10-20 zts16
10 more Hellafunt
20-30 MrHomeScientist

Caps... http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/itemdetail?storeId=10...

2 MrHomeScientist
1 Hellafunt

Magpie 20 ampules.

Zom.
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 10:29

Too bad I already bought a bunch of ampules... Paid way too much for them.
If you order any flasks and condensers put me down for two 500 mL RBFs and a Liebig. Just had a little accident that cost my both of my condensers and three RBFs.:o
Actually I just found an old piece of junk rubber stopperized distillation apparatus I've had for years, exactly the same as this:
So at least I can distill water...:D

[Edited on 6-3-2015 by Molecular Manipulations]

314dk+sKlBL._SX342_.jpg - 9kB

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 10:45

Hopefully one of you smart fellas can help me come up with a way to "spreadsheet this.

I just had to re-read all of it to move a few ampules to this page.

Is there a way that the entire forum could add items to a single post?

Let's say I go to NY for a week this whole thing would collapse under it's own weight.

Also we have to focus on one item at a time.
I'd have to sell my house to fund multiple orders, and wait for the money via paypal.

Remember this is a NON PROFIT deal.
Both the ampules, and the caps are close.

How do we organize this to self sustain on one order page? When a category is complete I place the order... Maybe a third party site like a photo share thing?

Suggestions?

Zom.
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 10:49

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  

I'd have to sell my house to fund multiple orders, and wait for the money via paypal.

What you can do is request the money as "paying friends or family". That way you get the cash as soon as it's sent. I wouldn't mind paying up front either. Or at least for the shipping.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 11:05

I understand...

There are too many things that could go wrong for me to ask for money up front.
People respect me for who I am, and I would never risk that.

I can afford o spend a hundred or two, and wait for shipping / paypal... That's not an issue.

Keeping track of who / what is.

We need a common page to list an item, and let members add their own submission.

Is such a thing possible on the forum? Maybe someone has a web site they could dedicate a page to for a single item order?
When that order is filled the page is deleted, and a new item listed via members demand?

Zom.
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 11:14

Maybe we could create an official account for this on this site, and everyone who has a certain criteria (eg. over 200 posts, access to whimsy or both) can have the password to add listings to the post all under the same username. I'm not sure how it could be kept open to edit long enough for everyone who wants to post something in it. Maybe the limit would be the 24 hour editing limit, or mod could change the settings to a longer period of time or something? Each order would have it's own post.

-The manipulator
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 11:17

That's what I am talking about!

Who would be the "go to" person for this?

Zom.
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 11:22

Here is one way we could do this (there may be better ones):

Zombie creates an SM user for ordering.

Orders are placed by U2U to the ordering agent user.

Zombie creates a public spreadsheet on Google Drive that everyone can view.

Orders are entered into the spreadsheet as received (item, number, user) by Zombie, users can check the spreadsheet to see if the ordering info is correct.

When an item category is complete he can place the order.

When the order is placed, it is erased from the spreadsheet (optional step, but desirable I think)
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top