Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Strong Safe Nitration Agent
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 12:33
Strong Safe Nitration Agent

After messing around with drawing random organic compounds like pentanitrotoluene and tetranitro-para-xylene (with both actually turned out to exist), and seeing how they require extremely powerful nitrating agents to be made such as nitronium tetrafluoroborate, I was wondering (not for actual use in my garage, of course) what is a very powerful yet relatively safe nitration agent?
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 14:09

Practically anything stronger than nitric and sulfuric acids will be more dangerous than them. Have you done any nitrations with nitric and sulfuric before?

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
APO
National Hazard

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 15:33

In my opinion, it really depends on what kind of equipment you have to define what would be considered "safe". Level of experience and clumsiness also comes into play. If I remember right, while refluxing, sometimes a nitrate salt (or combination of salts) dissolved in an aromatic solvent (presumably very dry) can be used for mild nitration, which in some sense is slightly safer. But, it's not very easy to nitrate (at least for toluene) more than three positions without using something ridiculously strong like what you mentioned.

"Damn it George! I told you not to drop me!"
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-3-2015 at 15:54
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 16:08

If I recall correctly, copper(ii) nitrate can be an efficient nitrating agent for aromatic rings under dehydrating conditions, which I believe was referred to as Menke conditions. I recall acetic anhydride being used, but I am not sure if it was required. It also acted as the solvent.

DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 10:09

Speaking of insanely nitrated compounds, it's kind of scary of hexanitrobenzene is a thing.
kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-3-2015 at 23:37

Acetic anhydride + Anh. Cu(NO3)2.
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 15-3-2015 at 08:12

How about the scenario where you are not cooking up energetic molecules, but just doing synthetic organic chemistry and want to just mono-nitrate toluene (dinitration would be an undesirable side product). Are there unusual mild nitration agents that will accomplish that (a nitrate salt preparation perhaps)?

Here is an article about microwave mono-nitrations using metal salt catalysts that complete in 6 minutes for toluene at high yield for the para product. They are using 69% nitric acid, but no sulfuric; sodium tungstate is an example catalyst. Not exactly the same thing as "mild" perhaps, but still illustrating the possibilities for different nitration conditions.

Attachment: IJOC20120300015_46985024.pdf (1.6MB)
This file has been downloaded 334 times

Go To Top