Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  14    16
Author: Subject: Homemade and Repurposed Lab Gear
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Green is not a creative colour

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 11:27

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
has anyone ever used this kind of quartz tubing (from oven heating elements) as a normal transparent quartz tubing?
like to hold catalysts or as a combustion tube

Yes

20201008_062534.jpg - 2MB
Mateo_swe
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2020 at 10:32

Quote: Originally posted by earpain  
And all the organic non-polar solvents still sold to the public either boil at WAY TOO HOT degrees celsius, or just suck in general because they hide water or they dont really dissolve stuff(naphtha)

If you search on DCM on ebay often you will probably find someone who sells you some DCM after a while.
I do search on ebay for some usually unavailiable solvents and chemicals and i have found and bought both 10L DCM, 10L acetonitrile and acetic anhydride.
Now im inside EU and that make that any purchased stuff from within EU does not pass customs witch is good for some rarer things.
So even if something isnt allowed on ebay it pops up sometimes so it can be worth to try a search if you are looking for something.

Quote: Originally posted by earpain  
Now the black 'bungs' are not rubber stoppers! no no. Go to an autoparts store, they sell 'vacuum plugs'. They are like caps that you have to stretch on to the end of a tube, and designed for systems in vacuum in a car. Cars get waaay hot. So whatever the material is, I SWEAR H2SO4 had no effect on it. You might find a special set tjat fits many sizes. That's how I interface the thermometer into the SPD head.

That was a good tip i will investigate, thanks.
I have bought some silicone endplugs i will use on a quarts tube for ozone generation but i would like some endplugs that are resistant to other chemicals too.

Quote: Originally posted by Panache  
Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
has anyone ever used this kind of quartz tubing (from oven heating elements) as a normal transparent quartz tubing?
like to hold catalysts or as a combustion tube

Yes

That is also a nice tip.
As long the quarts tubes arent very thin they can be used but it all depends on the temp and application.
I will keep an eye open for those quartz tubes.

I bought some alumina tubes from china, about 20-25mm in diameter, 700mm long that i might turn into a DIY tube furnace on some rainy winter evening.
They were not as expensive as i had thought, about 50 Euros for 2 of them including shipping if i remember correctly.
They can withstand very high temps.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2020 at 15:54
Found a nice container for a ball mill - 16 or 22 oz

I came across these stainless steel Ozark Trail double walled insulated food containers and they have a very good seal (plastic lid) and then a larger stainless lid outside the plastic one. The shape is ideal for a ball mill. I think these would be ideal for doing smaller batches - though I'd really like to find some 32, 64 and 128oz models for this purpose.

I've used a number of other containers and chose paint cans but after about 24 hours of milling, the walls were almost paper thin with only using steel ball bearings (1/2") and aluminum foil & at $14 each (same price or more than buying container with paint in it!!). These containers below are built very nicely and seal very well. They have a port that you can allow O2 to slowly seep in, so no inrush of O2 after milling.

Anyway, just an idea if anyone is looking for a container to do this. If you have any other suggestiong, please let me knot. I'd like some larger ones 1-5gal and IDK if plastic (HDPE) will be sufficient or not.

BTY - each of these jars below are 4.25" diameter and 6.1" vs 6.9" in length (22oz being the latter).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-22-Ounce-Double-Wall-...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-16-Ounce-Double-Wall-...

[Edited on 10-30-2020 by RogueRose]
Fyndium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2020 at 01:52

I could not find a shorter stem length thermowell, so I shortened one myself. It was just a shy too long to fit in the short path, but now it fits perfectly.

This short path is perfect for many distillations, especially vacuum with higher bp. I could not effectively monitor the temp prior to this.

shorty.jpg - 110kB
 Pages:  1  ..  14    16

Go To Top