Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Potassium Iodide from Potassium Iodate
peroxyl3525
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 17:31
Potassium Iodide from Potassium Iodate

Text
I was ordering chemicals online and wasn't being very careful and accidentally ordered KIO3 instead of KI. When the package arrived at my door I was pretty mad. Does anyone have a procedure to make KI from KIO3? I heard one can decompose potassium chlorate: 2KCLO3 -> 2KCl + 3O2.
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pretty much all of them!

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 18:10

I think KIO3 decomposes to KI and O2 at around 500C. Not positive though.

2KIO3 = 2KI + 3O2

[Edited on 20-3-2015 by TheAustralianScientist]

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 23:46

Strong heating of KIO3 produces KI, but you will have a hard time to get it really pure. The reaction is slow and complete decomposition requires strong heating for a long time. The reaction also has side effects, you will also see formation of iodine vapor and the end product will be alkaline. It will contain some K2O as well (or possibly KOH, due to absorption of water vapor from air).

I am afraid that the best thing you can do is order some KI.

In aqueous solution things are less bleak. Dissolve some KIO3 in dilute acid and then drip in a solution of sodium sulfite, sodium metabilsulfite or potassium metabisulfite. First you get a deep brown color, due to formation of iodine, at a certain point you get a lot of iodine and solid iodine separates. Carefully continue adding Na2SO3 until the liquid becomes colorless (or near colorless). The solution then contains iodide and sulfate ions, besides the acid. For many experiments requiring iodide, such solutions are useful.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 13:34

Per Atomistry on KI (link: http://potassium.atomistry.com/potassium_iodide.html ), to quote:

"The Potassium iodide, KI, is obtained by neutralizing the carbonate with hydriodic acid, and also by the interaction of potassium hydroxide and iodine, the iodate simultaneously produced being converted into iodide by heat or by the action of a reducer such as carbon:

6KOH + 3I2 = 5KI + KIO3 + 3H2O.

It is manufactured by the action of iron-filings on iodine in presence of water, the soluble iodide Fe3I8 formed being decomposed by potassium hydroxide, a process accompanied by precipitation of the oxide Fe3O4 and formation of a solution of potassium iodide. The salt crystallizes on concentration of the aqueous solution. It can also be prepared from the ashes of seaweed, and from the iodate present in Chile saltpetre."
peroxyl3525
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-3-2015 at 17:22

Thanks for the replies.

I want just KI so I will try Woelen's suggestion and filter of the iodine and then convert the iodine into potassium iodide.
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 04:58

Quote: Originally posted by peroxyl3525  
Text
I was ordering chemicals online and wasn't being very careful and accidentally ordered KIO3 instead of KI. When the package arrived at my door I was pretty mad. Does anyone have a procedure to make KI from KIO3? I heard one can decompose potassium chlorate: 2KCLO3 -> 2KCl + 3O2.

Please do not toss your KIO3, I am pretty sure you will find a very cool reason to have it in the future:)

[Edited on 22-3-2015 by morganbw]
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pretty much all of them!

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 14:37

Yes, don't.

Here is a couple of pretty nice demos that use Potassium Iodate:

Landolt Clock Reaction
Briggs Rauscher Iodine Oscillator

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.
peroxyl3525
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 15:19

Of course I won't. I already have the necessary chemicals for the Clock reaction so I try it out. Sound cool to me. As a side note, is there any alternative to the Malonic acid in the Briggs Rauscher Iodine Oscillator? I've seen a demo on YouTube and it looks awesome.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 15:26

You want an enolic hydrogen on a water-soluble molecule for replacing malonic acid. It can be done.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 15:40

Acetone can be used. This is a more comprehensive paper on one part of the reaction, but the general idea still holds and the reaction is acetone based.

Go To Top