Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mom-and-pop lemonade-stand-style ways to make quick legal cash from chemistry
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-7-2015 at 11:35

Quote: Originally posted by Corrosive Joeseph  

But if someone is hellbent on making money from chemistry l would recommend soaps, perfumes and essential oils.

Prepare to blow a ton of cash on branding. It's the brand that sells these things, not the 'ding an sich'...

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 28-7-2015 at 11:58

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Try powers of complex numbers:

(a + bi)<sup>3</sup> ;)

When it comes to Money, i prefer equations yielding Real Numbers rather than Imaginary (presuming i<sup>2</sup> gives a real number, so times i again should go imaginary again).

The thing about Making Money is that it is an entire paradigm itself.

First Law of Dosh : forget what you Like doing if you want to make Money.

Basically you tend to have to do things you do Not want to do for Money.

This is the definition of Work (in this context).

[Edited on 28-7-2015 by aga]

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 09:36

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Try powers of complex numbers:

(a + bi)<sup>3</sup> ;)

(Easier than you might think, BTW)

[Edited on 28-7-2015 by blogfast25]

De Moivre's theorem for polar form, right?

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 09:47

(cos θ + i sin θ)<sup>n</sup> = cos nθ + i sin nθ

If you like. Or you can do it the old fashioned way. ;)

[Edited on 29-7-2015 by blogfast25]

James Ikanov
Hazard to Self

Mood: Zen

smile.gif posted on 1-10-2015 at 10:18
Metal finishing

Perhaps a bit late to the show, but I'd bet there's some good money in finishing metal with chemical or electro-chemical means.

I know anodizing aluminum can be done with a fairly simple home-brew setup, along with bluing. I bet there's a small market for experimenting with metal oxide finishes and a lot of money in finding a quick and cheap process for effectively getting steel to take and hold a coating of a homogeneous magnetite surface.

Other than that the only things that come to mind are basically demolition with exotic explosives and high tolerance applications (in other words, when it absolutely positively has to be completely vaporized inside of unique constraints of some kind) and producing actual pharmaceuticals of some kind at a local level.

Not sure how much money there is in the second one, but if you got an operation making morphine or morphine derivatives (things like Desomorphine) and sold them to places like actual hospitals, I'm sure you could undercut shipping costs if you lived in a remote area.

That said the previous two require intensive licensing and tread a fine line of legality. I'd rather stick to finishing metal parts or perhaps something like science themed snack food; it sounds silly, but I bet you could get a lot of nerds to pay 2-3 bucks for a cup of coffee brewed in plain sight in some clean glassware. I know that there are a few tutorials on making a simple system like that out of readily available glassware, and scaling it up ought to be a fairly simple proposal. Heck, you could even make actual lemonade in glassware. Plenty of people might buy something just like that.

[Edited on 1-10-2015 by James Ikanov]
BOBardment
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 17:19

Essential(Fragrance) oil, precious metal recovery, selling stuff to your local hobbist say like the dude making model rockets two streets down. There is a lot of ways to make money, it's just that local business tends to have a hard time maintaining a stable income because there isn't that much consumer...
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 18:20

Perhaps you could sell lemonade? I've heard of people drinking "chemist's lemonade" which generally comprises 0.0001M HCl and sucrose. Obviously you'd have to get food-grade HCl but after that it's a simple exercise in dilution.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 07:28

Quote: Originally posted by BOBardment  
Essential(Fragrance) oil, precious metal recovery, selling stuff to your local hobbist say like the dude making model rockets two streets down. There is a lot of ways to make money, it's just that local business tends to have a hard time maintaining a stable income because there isn't that much consumer...

Oils & perfume: great, you've read the thread
Precious metal recovery: You havent researched the topic or you're worst at maths than I am. I can tell you that unless you do this on the industrial level it's not gonna work.
Making model rockets: wanna bet it's heavily regulated wherever you are ?

Really, no need to resurect this thread if it's for this kind of contribution (talking out of your ass)
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 07:37

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Perhaps you could sell lemonade? I've heard of people drinking "chemist's lemonade" which generally comprises 0.0001M HCl and sucrose. Obviously you'd have to get food-grade HCl but after that it's a simple exercise in dilution.

I am actually tempted to try this. I would just like to know the taste.
With that dilution, it should for sure be safe.
Well, another experiment in my queue, so many, sadly the arrow of time is working against me.
BOBardment
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 11:59

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  

Oils & perfume: great, you've read the thread
Precious metal recovery: You havent researched the topic or you're worst at maths than I am. I can tell you that unless you do this on the industrial level it's not gonna work.
Making model rockets: wanna bet it's heavily regulated wherever you are ?

Really, no need to resurect this thread if it's for this kind of contribution (talking out of your ass)

You are not recovering everything if you need alot to make money.
Also don't assume everyone is a dipshit just because you are ;)
Because the rockets are not regulated. To the point no one can do it.
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 14:50

I was going to say essential oils and perfumery but then I read the thread also :).

There's also a niche market for specialized pigments and dyes that are no longer widely available. There's also certain religious groups that have interest in compounded botanical formulations.

[Edited on 8-1-2019 by Mr. Rogers]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 04:44

I only assume what I can assume from your post histwhorry.
The part about me not recovering everything is... funny.

By the way, enlighten us, where is this fantastic land you're at where I can build and sell rocket engines freely without regulations?
BOBardment
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 19:18

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  

I only assume what I can assume from your post histwhorry.
The part about me not recovering everything is... funny.

By the way, enlighten us, where is this fantastic land you're at where I can build and sell rocket engines freely without regulations?

Alright, let's backtrack a bit so we don't have to talk more about asses and shits.
Maybe I was being clear enough, the guy doesn't make rocket engines, he makes model rockets. The small one-off thing that flies a bit and just fells to the ground. And about the scraping metal part, it's true. You are not doing it correctly if you need an industry working for you to make money.

There is two major things people scrap for precious metal, scrap jewelry and e-waste. I personally prefer jewelry because they are easier to deal with, not very complicated composition of metals, usually just gold silver. Then there is e-waste, which is probably what you said "need an industrial-sized factory" for. E-wastes are messy and often times hard to make a profit off of but if you are doing it correctly it can be done easily at your home not at an industrial scale. The big thing with e-waste is to forget about the gold, scarp all the metals. E-wastes often contain other metal just as expensive if not more then gold. Even though they are in smaller quantity they can still make up a percentage of your income. Proper pricing is also an important part, some of the wastes are better off just sold as scarp rather than washing the gold off them, and collecting wires/aluminum/fans/motors is also a huge part of scraping. Basically, to make money scraping you have to really focus on the scraping part instead of making a certain type of product out of the e-waste.
happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 19:35

Model rockets are pretty well regulated, in the US and in many other jurisdictions that from time to time pass laws to protect their citizens. Here is some U.S. relevant info:

https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/section-guidebook/laws...

Remeber, what goes up comes down; and also, if it is built to fly through the air fast, it is built to fall through the air fast, too.

Edit: Actually, there are guidlines to their construction, but making and selling amateur rockets seems to be pretty legal, at least by federal U.S. law:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2006/08/11/06-6862...

They even say that a big part of the reason that people aren't forced to get permits is that it would be too much stress on the ATF's already strained resources, because too many people already make and sell them, and then they go on to quote the statistics on that.

[Edited on 1-10-2019 by happyfooddance]
BOBardment
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 19:54

Had a couple typos in there... Too lazy to fix it
BOBardment
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 20:14

Quote: Originally posted by happyfooddance  
Model rockets are pretty well regulated, in the US and in many other jurisdictions that from time to time pass laws to protect their citizens. Here is some U.S. relevant info:

https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/section-guidebook/laws...

Remeber, what goes up comes down; and also, if it is built to fly through the air fast, it is built to fall through the air fast, too.

Edit: Actually, there are guidlines to their construction, but making and selling amateur rockets seems to be pretty legal, at least by federal U.S. law:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2006/08/11/06-6862...

They even say that a big part of the reason that people aren't forced to get permits is that it would be too much stress on the ATF's already strained resources, because too many people already make and sell them, and then they go on to quote the statistics on that.

[Edited on 1-10-2019 by happyfooddance]

You are assuming he is going to mess up and kill people.
Over an example I gave for a suggestion.
I'm going to give two response to this... First of all, he can do it safely, I wouldn't sell something to someone I know is unstable and dangerous.
Second of all, once the stuff is out of my hands I'm not responsible for whatever it does. Selling a gun might be just as bad as pulling the trigger but you are going nowhere charging metal foundries.
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 20:40

Paint pigments or dyes might be a winner. I'm sure there are plenty of artists would love to play with making their own paints, especially given the weird things that get turned into art these days.
Have you seen the eye-watering prices of artist grade paint?

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2019 at 03:25

What?! One can prepare food then sell it to the public without a license in US?!:o

[Edited on 190110 by fusso]

Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2019 at 08:35

Maybe I was being clear enough, the guy doesn't make rocket engines, he makes model rockets. The small one-off thing that flies a bit and just fells to the ground.

No, you're not clear at all and I'm trying to say it as nicely as possible. "The guy two streets down" is not you so you cant really say how he runs his business.
Are these rockets propelled by a rubber band or by a chemical composition ? If the latter, then good luck with your local authorities when they bust you. There's just no way you can market a product like this and get away with it. If you can, better do coke --> More money.

And about the scraping metal part, it's true. You are not doing it correctly if you need an industry working for you to make money.

That's not what I said and you said PMR, not scrap metal.
I said you'd have to do it on an industrial level to be worth it. Buy, refine, sell, make a worldwide business starting from your garage. It has happened but good luck to do that nowadays.

Unless someone gives you the metals you're still gonna have to get them somehow.
Scrap e-waste might be a source that you actually get for free. You still have a lot of work before it can be processed for extraction. But you're damn right about other metals than gold and this would be my interest if I went this way.
Buying jewelry is another option for gold, silver and with luck a bit of other metals.
There is just no way in Hell I'm going to explain to every moron on earth why I wont be buying spot price "duh!". I tried a couple of times and got hanged upon !
Unless you manage to somehow get jewelry well below spot price you're gonna lose.
I dont know how much you value your time, I know how much I value mine. Or how my employer values my time.
I also have a fairly good idea on what taxes I have to pay to whom just for running a business from my appartment.
I know how much 1 liter of HNO3 costs me. About the same as if I were to buy 25 liters but in industrial quantities. (Fine: make your own acid. How long to get a liter and how much is your time worth).
More importantly I know I cant purify a metal to 99.99 in one run. Especially silver.
Lets forget about the stamps, pen and paper and small costs like that.
And now, for the grand finale... A 15 % tax on precious metal sales. Doesnt change anything: I was already losing money before that. I love my country :-/

Still unconvinced ? Ok, take all the above parameters, the ones I certainly forgot and let me give you 1kg of silver solder !
Do the maths yourself. Be generous, there's 50% silver in that solder (Holy effing Christ ! Silver price has taken a dive since last time I checked). Now, you've made 215 Euros (because you are Super Chemist and got 500 grams of silver in one run), spent a few days, invested some money in hardware, more in chemicals and... Wait, I'm better off with my employer !

Now, there are a few ways this can be profitable:
- Use eBay and maybe avoid some state taxes. Ebay still takes its share. Plus, they already rat you out to the authorities when you make more than a set threshold (2500 Euros / year here) so I'm willing to bet they are smart enough to collect special taxes or rat you out for that too)
- Look for niche markets: silver nitrate, silver or gold in powder or other form that your buyers will value more than a metal bar.

You are assuming he is going to mess up and kill people.
Over an example I gave for a suggestion.
I'm going to give two response to this... First of all, he can do it safely, I wouldn't sell something to someone I know is unstable and dangerous.
Second of all, once the stuff is out of my hands I'm not responsible for whatever it does. Selling a gun might be just as bad as pulling the trigger but you are going nowhere charging metal foundries.

He, I, SWIM ? Stop being so much on the defensive and use some common sense.

You are going to be liable if something bad happens no matter how you look at it anywhere in the world. Try to sell guns to bank robbers. Wanna bet you'll share a cell ?
At the bare minimum you could be charged for selling illegal fireworks which in many places isnt that different from selling explosives.

You will always be subjected to regulations if you work with controlled substances...

And again to be clear, you will be hold liable if you sell a rocket that self ignites and burns down your buyers house.
Even if that's only by him and his shotgun.
Jackson
Hazard to Others

Mood: :) Happy about new glassware :)

[*] posted on 10-1-2019 at 09:02

Just sell meat essential oils. Steam distil meat and sell the juice that comes over.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2019 at 13:25

Quote:
- Look for niche markets: silver nitrate, silver or gold in powder or other form that your buyers will value more than a metal bar.

this x1000

AgNO3 costs so much more than Ag spot it's frankly hilarious. i'd also be tempted to make and sell the methanesulfonate, which is just as good (soluble) but nobody would buy it because they don't know wtf it is. nobody gets gassed with NOx while making silver methanesulfonate.

if you want to make money, though, step 1 is know your market. you could probably make and sell chemicals to amateur photographers or perfumieres or painters or whatever. first you have to figure out what those people want and how to give it to them. maybe you could also sell custom-designed plastic trinkets if you learn to make polymers.

one thing i would NOT do, is sell cleaning products. actual real life chemical engineers spend all of their time trying to figure out how to make better and cheaper and safer cleaning products and they have entire factories at their disposal. also no food and nothing that burns unless you want to ride the partyvan.

one particular idea i had was making your own phosphorescent pigments. the downside is, it's INCREDIBLY hard to get the stupid things pure enough that they actually work. 1 ppm Fe will completely ruin your SrAl2O4. but if you do manage to make a pigment, you might be able to make other stuff out of it, like a glowing hat or something.

the other downside is that this is one of the more boring kinds of chemistry, just repeatedly purifying some minerals, and that ties back in to why it's hard to have a fun job. the things that need to be done usually aren't that fun. otherwise they'd get done

CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2019 at 18:04

What is the point of this lemonade? The pH of gastric acid (essentially HCl is 1.5 to 3.5; the pH of 0.0001M HCl is 4. I suspect one couldn't taste the difference between "chemist's lemonade" and just lemonade. Has anyone actually tried this? (And if so, why?) What was the result?
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2019 at 18:20

Guess again sweaty

All of the small carboxylic acids have their own characteristic flavor. This is most noticeable with acetic acid (vinegar), but it is also pretty easy to notice with citric acid or lactic acid. In the latter case, the characteristic taste is quite foul, which is why food is practically never flavored with lactic acid intentionally, although it occurs naturally in yogurt. See also why Greek yogurt is so popular: the lactic acid has been removed.

HCl by contrast is practically odorless and tasteless when it's diluted to a drinkable concentration. It generates a pure sourness with little other noticeable flavor. Or at least that's the story I've been told since i've never made it lmao.

Also, gastric pH climbs when you eat, but the figure I usually hear quoted for empty stomach is 2, which is 100x more acidic than 4. That's not exactly a small difference. Unsurprisingly, bulimics tend to suffer severe tooth decay.

Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 15-6-2019 at 17:17

One possibility would be a chemical distributor sourt of how chemsavers are. They have buying contracts with a couple "big-boys" in the reagent/laboratory business. After an individual buys a chemical through them (via ebay or their website), they phone in a order through their suppliers. After they recieve the shipment, they forward the chemical to your address. Because many amature chemists do not have busness addresses, or purchase accouts with the name brand distributors, these type of business are essential.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top