Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Directions for useing the new otc lye mixture
Punk
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

thumbup.gif posted on 9-7-2006 at 03:46
Directions for useing the new otc lye mixture

Since Red Devil has been banished from store shelves a few other brands drano/zep ect. still sell lye but they added 2 more ingredients to help with the desinger drug problem in the US and to help bust clogs in the drain a little better.

The bottles say "contains sodium hydroxide" but when you open it there are green crystals [sodium nitrate] and small tear drop shaped non-magnetic metalic pellets [aluminum] in there along with the usual tiny white balls [lye]

Useing this crap directly in a/b extraction means nasty emultion with the posability of contams or maybe even poisoning???

Not to worry, if you mix this stuff in hot water the lye and green crap will quickly disolve then you can pour this mix off of the aluminum pellets that are sunk to the bottom before they start their violent reaction. Then just pour the nasty looking green lye solution through a coffe filter to remove 100% of the green particals and your left with a clear to cloudy white probly impure lye solution that ive found to work just fine in many chemistry experaments.

[Edited on 9-7-2006 by Punk]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 07:38

Sodium nitrate is colorless. :confused:

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 08:14

it`s probably some sort of Dye added, and more than likely for no other reason they add dye to denatured alc.
the condensed alu though???

that sounds more of a liability than and asset, esp if a container gets damaged in transit/shipping :o

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Punk
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 09:26
lead poisoning

I forgot to mention there are zinc particles in there also. Ive read something in the past stating some type of lead byproduct coming from the sodium nitrate anyone framiliar with this?
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 09:53

Lead from Sodium Nitrate... I`de like to see that :))

not only that, but I can`t see what Zinc would do to Lead that Alu wouldn`t, where would the lead ions come from to start with anyway? unless it was a poor manufacturing proc or maybe something to do with lead water pipes (that are banned in most civilised countries).

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
enhzflep
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 20:21

Pressumably the different components have different particle sizes and densities.
Personally, I'd be tempted to seperate them mechanically first, in a somewhat similar fashion to that used to pan for gold - albeit it without the water.

Failing that, NaOH is soluble in ethanol IIRC. But that still leaves you with the possibility of dissolving the green contaminant also. I've no idea on the reactivity of Al with NaOH dissolved in EtOH though.
squick
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-7-2006 at 23:37

Yeah, i say the best option is to skip the store bought drain cleaner, and look for some root remover or the like at the hardware store. or maybe try a little soapmaking on the side?
Punk
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 01:22

Ive never seen root stuff that contained lye just copper salts and potassium salts.

But as stated above Ive found this new formula to work just fine in the a/b extractions and its ready to use in a "drano bomb" just add water.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 01:07

Why donĀ“t use sodium carbonate or bicarbonate? Washing soda and baking powder are still available I suppose.

/ORG

Irgendwas is ja immer

Go To Top