Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does letting Raney Nickel burn deactivate it?
RareEarth
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 21:28
Does letting Raney Nickel burn deactivate it?

If I take some Raney Nickel and let it dry out and ignite, will letting it burn its course effect its activity at all, for say, transfer hydrogenations? I'm thinking it burns as a result of residual H2 leftover from its preparation, and during transfer hydrogenations the hydrogen never really leaves the reagents so the nickel won't really become reflameable. As long as the Nickel is still in its Nickel 0 form, shouldn't it still be active?

edit

Or a better alternative, what if I put the raney nickel under a vacuum to draw out the hydrogen?

[Edited on 2-4-2015 by RareEarth]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 08:03

Am I missing something, or are you truly asking if your Raney nickel will still be OK after you destroy it?

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
RareEarth
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 10:23

I was under the impression that Raney Nickel is not "more active" because there is stored hydrogen in it, but rather because it has a very high surface area due to the porous aluminum matrix. I would be supplying the hydrogen source (via formate salt, IPA, or some other donor) during the reaction, so I don't see how letting the hydrogen burn out is 'destroying it'.

So am I missing something?
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 10:39

The hydrogen isn't the only thing which is flammable. Even Raney Nickel which hasn't been hydrogenated is pyrophoric as are most fine mesh transition metal powders. After burning, you will be left with nickel(II) oxide along with aluminum oxide and other metal oxides present in the original alloy.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 10:57

Burning it will make nickel oxides and ruin it.

Most chemists simply store it under water, as it is normally shipped, and once used, they simple take the dregs and put them in a waste jar under some water, until the jar is full of solids. But if you were reusing the nickel there is no reason that you could not simply pour off the reaction and then rinse the Raney nickel with water (maybe some ethanol mixed in, then a few more times with pure water) to clean it and then simply leave it under water for storage. Kinda like phosphorus.

Go To Top