Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flash powder blasting caps
insutama
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 18:04
Flash powder blasting caps

Hey everyone today i made a small little cap out of a straw with hot glue plugs and then wrap with a little electrical tape i tried silver acetylide in one cap and in the other i used my 70/30 perchlorate/dark aluminum flash. I would say the flash powder was way louder and seemed to have more force than the silver acetylide cap so this seems to tell me that i should have no problem setting off my petn with a flash powder detonator ? anyone have any experience with this ?
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
9-4-2015 at 18:13
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 18:17

Go to the library and read:

http://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/the_chemistr...

(No, I do not think you'll have much success with 70/30 flash powder)

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

insutama
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 18:40

it just seems like the silver acetylide wasn't nearly as much of a shock maybe i made the silver acetylide wrong or something but it detonates with a high pitch snap. hard to believe 200mg would be enough to set off some etn or petn
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 19:27

Apparent loudness does not mean much in regard to ability to initiate a secondary explosive.

The answer really IS go do more reading and research...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 04:26

you could be confusing higher frequencies with lower, where flashpowder ofcourse would give a much deeper boom

if you wanna use it for blasting caps, youre first off gonna use at least OB FP
i have heard metal is good at focusing the energy from flashpowder, but metal is really not something you want as container.. the idea is totally possible if your 'target' is sensitive enough, and will fully detonate with a rather weak shockwave

you may wanna try KClO4, Magnesium and some ferrocerium added to it, but do not put this into anything at all before you have tested it out with hammer as in friction or shock, as its very sensitive because of the ferrocerium, aluminium or magnesium phosphide may help aswell catalysing the flashpowder..
if you can get magnesium then its not that hard to turn into a fine dust, if you follow Dornier335A's video on youtube

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
insutama
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 07:54

thanks for all the replys your totally right i have lots more reading to do i downloaded that book and put it on my e reader very awsome book super interesting thanks for pointing me to that. Antiswat ya your right the flash powder had a deeper boom and the SADS was like a high pitch snap. So i take it you need that fast snap of a shockwave to set off a secondary. thanks again everyone for your help.
I have lots of magnesium i bought 4 lbs some time ago and its already pretty fine but i have been talking and following Dornier335A procedures for quite some time now. I got my flash powder to burn as good as some of his using his plate method to get super fine and fresh unoxidized magnesium .

Go To Top