Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A pretty good equipment place.....
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 18:56
A pretty good equipment place.....

I have a full collection of the elements and the most difficult part is finding a way to safely store them, yet display them at the same time. I've found that the easily oxidizeable metals tend to corrode in most containers that aren't permanently sealed shut. The only way to delay/stop noticeable oxidation is to put the metal sample in pre-boiled mineral oil, then take the glass jar, wrap the threads in teflon tape, and put some type of sheet over the opening before putting the cap on. Once the cap is on, wrap more Teflon tape around the opening and then wrap some electrical tape around the seam to cover it up. I did this with my lithium, sodium and potassium and they haven't oxidized at all since I used this method to seal them away.

Recently I purchased some more jars to put my other samples in, but the lids to these jars didn't have a good sealent to them. I wanted to get some Teflon Sheet that I could cut and then place over the opening and attach it with some Teflon tape. This would provide a nice seal for me once the lid ws tightened. I went to Google and did a search for "Teflon Film" and found the site below:

http://www.scicominc.com/

While the site doesn't seem to function properly all the time, they have a LOT of really nice equipment at acceptable prices and will sell to anybody with a credit card. You don't need to be part of a business or university. :D I bought my 4 square feet of 1/32" Teflon sheet and will hope to get it soon. :D

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.

Go To Top