Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hazmat False Alarm/Raid near my house
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

shocked.gif posted on 11-4-2015 at 15:29
Hazmat False Alarm/Raid near my house

This happened yesterday, less than a block away from my house.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/299356501.html

Imagine what would have happened had they found my lab, with actual hazardous chemicals!

I was out of the house when it started, and I had a panic attack when I came back and saw all the hazmat trucks outside my house.

I will upload some of my pictures of the chaos tomorrow.

The saddest part is, they didn't realize there was no danger for over ten hours.

[Edited on 11-4-2015 by Cheddite Cheese]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 16:21

Quote:
Around 6:30 p.m., Elder announced that authorities believed they were not dealing with a hazardous substance, but did not rule out whether a chemical compound was involved.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I wonder what really happened though.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 16:39

I tried asking the National Guardsmen (no, really!) outside my house, but they wouldn't tell me anything. They did allow me to go into my house, though. Others weren't so lucky.

My guess?

Someone called 911 for a chemistry-unrelated reason, and paramedics noticed an open, unmarked container full of odd-smelling powder that turned out to be old napthalene mothballs or something like that.

[Edited on 12-4-2015 by Cheddite Cheese]

As below, so above.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 17:32

Apparently they did manage to save the neighborhood from a bag full of hazardous books.

Thank God for them.

I wonder what would have happened if there were a witch in the apartment?

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 18:22

What is frightening is that that incident could happen to any one of us.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 18:26

Books and documents in evidence bags...
Metacelsus
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 19:50
Pictures

overkill.jpg - 1.6MB moar overkill.jpg - 2.1MB fire trucks.jpg - 2.2MB police tape.jpg - 1.6MB

I came home and saw this. I thought they were coming for me, until I realized that they were concentrated at another building.

[Edited on 12-4-2015 by Cheddite Cheese]

moar overkill.jpg - 2.1MB

As below, so above.

Varmint
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 20:16

When I was very young (8-9 maybe) I was at my grandmas house, and I asked her why the closet smelled so bad.

She thought about it for a second, and said "oh, that must be the moth balls". I'd never heard of them before.

So she opened the door, took down the satchel, and showed me what they looked like.

I said "wow, must be HUGE moths!".

She though about it for a couple of seconds, then bust out laughing so hard she had tears in her eyes, I'd never heard the noises she made before, truly out of control. The whole rest of the afternoon she couldn't look at me without busting out again or at least giggling.

{Sorry for the hijack, but when you mentioned mothballs...}
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 20:17

Wow, talk about a waste of tax dollars. It's a good thing that you weren't in the middle of an experiment when they showed up! That would have taken some explaining.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 22:38

It sounds like someone injured themselves while doing something. No telling what they found but it sounds like a suspected drug incident given the seizure of books and papers. Possible a meth addict having a heart attack. Of course it could also be absolutely overblown and the dude simply had some unlabelled bottle with something that smelled weird on the kitchen table. Chinese fish sauce might be a good suspect.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 12-4-2015 at 06:14

Plus 1 re: macckone

Yep! Meth addict, and fish sauce is most likely what it was. :D

Happens all the time around here.

Zom.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 12-4-2015 at 06:22

Overkill, as per the norm.

Not to be too paranoid, but since this sort of thing is in the news, and this is in a section of the forum frequented by search engines, someone related to this case could quite possibly find this thread. You admit to having <i>actual</i> hazardous chemicals in your house. Not only that but from the angle of your photos you could get a good guess as to what house you were in while they were taken.

Just something to take into consideration.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
macckone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-4-2015 at 06:51

Bleach is a hazardous chemical :P
So is drain cleaner and many other household chemicals.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-4-2015 at 07:10

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
Overkill, as per the norm.

Not to be too paranoid, but since this sort of thing is in the news, and this is in a section of the forum frequented by search engines, someone related to this case could quite possibly find this thread. You admit to having <i>actual</i> hazardous chemicals in your house. Not only that but from the angle of your photos you could get a good guess as to what house you were in while they were taken.

Just something to take into consideration.

I knew the risks when I posted it, which is why I waited a day, until the government agencies had left. Yes, someone could figure out my address just from going on Google Street View.

However, I thought it was important enough to share.

As below, so above.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 12-4-2015 at 07:59

Nice to see you have a Big Pair Cheddite!

I double your sentiment. It's more important to discuss the issues that effect the masses, than it is to worry about trivial personal paranoia-s.

All this F'n drama that surrounds us is also killing us. What happened to the days where all we had to worry about was, Will there be enough rain this year?

Damn I hate people...

Zom.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 12-4-2015 at 08:08

We really don't know the facts of this incident ...yet. I hope Cheddite keeps us apprised from his unique viewpoint, ie, right next door. I'm sure the Star/Tribune will be right on top of the story also.

Along with our knee-jerk paranoia over terrorism is the ever-present need for professionals to preserve their jobs. The feds, in their knee-jerk due to 9-11 opened up a huge purse to every first responder organization in the country (our tax dollars). All this equipment and personnel have to be exercised periodically to justify their existence. It's about jobs, stupid!

[Edited on 12-4-2015 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2015 at 22:58

Really appreciate the pictures. I can have appreciation for what the NG probably thought they were doing, but seriously? Isn't this still considered a Posse Comitatus violation unless explicitly activated by the governor? Also, I opened this thread and I could only think "bet I could figure out where you live."

Then you had pictures and admitted you didn't care, and all I could think was that is way more open about your identity than I am. Granted, if you know what you're doing, it wouldn't be too hard to find out things about me either.
macckone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 07:52

Posse Commitas only applies to the army (technically it may apply to the air force as well). It does not apply to the national guard, marines or navy. It also doesn't apply to the police. Obviously the intent of the law was to prevent the military from operating inside the us but they only specified the army.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 08:00

batteries not included

Zom.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 08:14

Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  

Then you had pictures and admitted you didn't care, and all I could think was that is way more open about your identity than I am. Granted, if you know what you're doing, it wouldn't be too hard to find out things about me either.

I am under the impression that with one's IP address and a judge's order (or not) the identity of any one of us will be handed over to the requesting authority. Correct me if I am wrong.

I keep checking for Star/Tribune updates on this story. Perhaps it's so embarrassing the police are not issuing any information?

Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 08:37

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  

I am under the impression that with one's IP address and a judge's order (or not) the identity of any one of us will be handed over to the requesting authority. Correct me if I am wrong.

I keep checking for Star/Tribune updates on this story. Perhaps it's so embarrassing the police are not issuing any information?

First, they would get a judges order. Then they would likely contact the owner of the site through the site registration information or the IP of the site itself. Eventually, they would make it to Polverone or one of the admins, and would request the IP address of the a specific user.

Remember what I said. If you use HTTPS, then all they know is that you are connecting to the site. They don't know who you are on the site, just that you visit it.

The username/password and session information would be part of the encrypted message sent over the secure session. From what I recall, the most revealing tell of an HTTPS connection is the URL and querystring that you see in your address bar. IIRC, that is unencrypted. So as long as cookies aren't in the query string, they just know that someone connected to SM.

They can, however, try and narrow down who you are based on the IP address and where you claim to reside on your profile or in the forum posts.

[Edited on 15-4-2015 by Loptr]
gregxy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 10:57

I'm not an IT guy, but knowing the IP address, couldn't they just correlate the time of the incoming traffic to SM with the time listed on the posts when they show up?

The same issue as TOR for low traffic. Just correlate the input and output.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 11:20

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
Posse Commitas only applies to the army (technically it may apply to the air force as well). It does not apply to the national guard, marines or navy. It also doesn't apply to the police. Obviously the intent of the law was to prevent the military from operating inside the us but they only specified the army.

Nope. It applies to the Marines, the Navy, and also to the National Guard unless the NG is acting under the authority of the governor of the state (because then it's not considered federal involvement, I suppose). I'd be surprised if this didn't happen under state authority, though.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 11:28

Also if you VPN or proxy, things get more difficult. If you do not, however, it would not be too hard for a mod to ID the owner of the IP address through illegal means.

Quote: Originally posted by Etaoin Shrdlu  
Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
Nope. It applies to the Marines, the Navy, and also to the National Guard unless the NG is acting under the authority of the governor of the state (because then it's not considered federal involvement, I suppose). I'd be surprised if this didn't happen under state authority, though.
This. Even organized state militias under control of the governor tend to fall into PC Act in states where they exist, according to my questioning two of them in different states. NG has to be activated by the governor. Now, I suppose there could be a governor's order or law stating permanent standby, or delegate the authority to someone designated by the governor in times of emergency or something and it would maybe be valid under a state constitution, but it just sounds suspicious to me. The governor activated a NG unit for this? I have to be missing something here. http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/call/docs/10-16/ch_12.asp
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 11:37

Quote: Originally posted by gregxy  
I'm not an IT guy, but knowing the IP address, couldn't they just correlate the time of the incoming traffic to SM with the time listed on the posts when they show up?

The same issue as TOR for low traffic. Just correlate the input and output.

Not all accesses are posts, so there would be a lot of overlap. However, yes, they could use correlation to provide a confidence score of who is who, but that is more involved than your average joe, and would be a collective effort. Given enough data, yes, they could guestimate who is what IP address.

This wouldn't just require a subpoena for a particular IP address, etc., but would be site-wide for SM as a whole. It goes back to my Tor posts, if they can watch the entire population, Tor or SM, then they can start making inferences as to who is who. HOWEVER, a big however, this takes a LOT of effort and man hours. You would have to be a very important target in order for them to go to this much effort.

I have worked with the machine learning over big data arena before, and it is certainly possible that you can be identified using HTTPS, but the point is to not make it EASIER FOR THEM TO DO SO.

A school of fish has a much higher chance of not getting eaten, but the outliers, they are shark bait. :)
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top