Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question on Peracetic Acid
bigtrevs98
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 14-4-2015 at 07:10
Question on Peracetic Acid

Hello everyone im new and kinda young but very smart and interedted in chemestry. I have taken chemestry but never gotten all the way through...but i still would like to learn. So I have something that I'm curious about. I mixed a 1:1 ratio of 3% H202 and 5% Acetic Acid. I was led to believe that that combination would make Peracetic Acid. If that isn't correct can someone please explain the process of making peracetic acid.
But my question is, I put a penny is the clear solution... and nothing happened... maybe a little layer of bubble I'm assuming from the H2O2. But I left it overnight and now the solution is a dark blue color. Could someone tell me what heppened?

1429024139532.jpg - 365kB
bigtrevs98
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-4-2015 at 07:11

When I mixed the 2 reactants there was no physical change (bubbles, heat, etc.)
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 14-4-2015 at 07:17

Those two reactants are both very dilute and because an equilibrium forms as follows CH3COOH + H2O2 <--> CH3COOOH + H2O, very little peracetic acid actually forms and it is very unlikely that the solution will heat up as it would with more concentrated reactants. Under the acidic oxidizing conditions, some of the copper was dissolved in the acetic acid and you now have a dilute solution of copper(II) acetate in water, likely with free acid left over. This process of copper dissolution is very slow when the reactants are so dilute, that's why you didn't notice anything immediately.
bigtrevs98
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-4-2015 at 07:23

Okay... well wouldnt it be possible to make the dilute solution then boil the per acetic acid out of the solutioun through a tube running through ice water to make pure peracetic acid?
bigtrevs98
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-4-2015 at 07:45

Or how would I go about making more concentrated Peracetic Acid
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 14-4-2015 at 08:06

Try searching the forum, this has been discussed in many threads previously https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=peracetic+acid+site:www... Also, it is typically considered good forum etiquette to edit a previous post by clicking the edit button in the top-right corner of the post, rather than posting multiple times in rapid succession.

[Edited on 4-14-2015 by gdflp]
bigtrevs98
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-4-2015 at 08:19

Okay thanks. And sorry. Didn't see the edit button.

Go To Top