Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Catalyst
Tabun
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2015 at 06:27
Catalyst

I've already used the search engine,couldn't find anything.I've also used the other one : google.Still,couldn't find anything.Can somebody tell me,how is the amount of catalyst determinated?I didn't hear anything about this even at school and when it comes to reactions in real life school is the last thing I think about(everything is just too "ideal"...I hope you understand what I'm saying).
So...you calculate the amounts needed for the reaction to produce the substance you want,you add some exces(like HNO3 for...many things) and then how you determinate the amount of catalyst needed?
Let's take as example TATP(since I don't want to make this,you can take any other example,I don't mind).
You calculate how much acetone and peroxide you need to make TATP,you put an exces of peroxide to make sure it's going to be the trimer form and how much acid do you need,depending on what acid you will be using?
Hope you understand what I'm saying.Sorry if it's a stupid question,but I never came across any information regarding the catalyst(except that it speeds up the reaction).
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 17-4-2015 at 07:08

Catalysts provide an alternate pathway for a reaction. In the case which you mentioned it depends of the concentration of acid you add. TATP requires H+ ions in solution for the reaction to proceed. You could really add any amount of H+ ions into solution, but just keep in mind that you will have to neutralize the acid after the reaction is complete- Catalysts are no consumed in the reaction. I like to add somewhere between 5%-20% of mol scale I am working on, however this will change based on the innate speed of the reaction as well as the value of the catalyst. I hope that helps!

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 17-4-2015 at 10:51

Depends on the reaction, the reaction conditions, and the catalyst.

Such things are determined experimentally. Easiest thing to do is to follow somebody else's lead.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
17-4-2015 at 11:30
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2015 at 14:21

You often start with a small percent due to expense and then optimize if necessary.

Go To Top