Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Society for Amateur Scientists
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-4-2015 at 10:17

I would be very interested in seeing some input from the other moderators and long-standing SM members about any form of SM association with/membership of CSA.

Any thoughts would be most welcome. :)

[Edited on 21-4-2015 by blogfast25]

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 21-4-2015 at 22:08

I believe that they would be more interested in the kind of things members put forth in the prepublications section, than anything YouTube-ish. The end goal (for me) in amateur chemistry would be, to be able to supply new content instead of just showing that I could follow others. The way there is obviously learning what has been done and beecoming intimately familiar with the process. And ya, it is kinda offputting to know how much the instrumentation used these days costs, but I'm sure if you make the right connections one could at least find affordable testing.

this is a long term goal that I have wanted since I was a teenager. I don't care if I'm 70 when it happens, but I will eventually get through the schooling to some of those coveted letters befor my name, on a lab coat. This orginization asked a lot of questions about publishing services, and I see that as a possible stepping stone to doing more. somewhere between here and professional chemistry. Maybe they won't pan out but I would like to try and step things up. My job these days has allowed me to start purchasing some lab gear for real investigations. The money can't really be justified if I'm just messing around for the heck of it. (Not going broke, lol, but it is a serious hobby for me).

The more you have laying around in the lab, the more important it is to be connected to real science with solid goals. Being an active participant in several scientific communities, some more and some less professional, would look much better should some of your orders garner attention. I LOVE the community here, don't get me wrong. You all are awesome. But I wouldn't want my only proof of purely scientific interest be a site that has to kick out cooks and kewels on a semiregular basis. Again, not knocking scimad in any way at all, it's a fertile bed of creative thinking and I feel at hoeme here. Usually read at least a few hours here every night before bed. If the daily posts aren't particularly interesting, I search technochem and eventually end up reading patents/research papers if that also proves dull.

I do expect that CSA would have a totally different feel and dynamic. But that might be just the kind of thing to stir up fresh perspective and new contact's. I don't claim to be anywhere near my goal yet, so I hope this doesn't come off pompous. It's more of a statement of intent and what I think being apart of several collectives could mean to one's growth.
-VS-
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 21-4-2015 at 22:38

That is a very nice post to read Violet.

I think you sort of summed up what many of us are thinking. I don't particularly want a bunch of letters in front of or after my name but the rest of the aspirations are the same.

I'd like to find something new. Even if only on paper... I'd like to understand enough to think up anything new, and make it happen. Diversity is a means to an end, and a very good means in my opinion.

Thanks for that post. It lifted my spirit!:D

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 06:50

Some of us here are into chemistry that is barely to not at all socially acceptable, e.g. cooking up psychoactives. If the agenda of these societies is to underline the honest and law-abiding facet of science, you might do them a disservice.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 19:47

I got an email today saying that my application to the CSA has been accepted. Not sure what I do from here, but it appears that I am officially a member.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 21:23

Quote: Originally posted by turd  
Some of us here are into chemistry that is barely to not at all socially acceptable, e.g. cooking up psychoactives. If the agenda of these societies is to underline the honest and law-abiding facet of science, you might do them a disservice.

Same can be said for the NRA. Not to many muggers or murders join tho.

Zom.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 21:26

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I got an email today saying that my application to the CSA has been accepted. Not sure what I do from here, but it appears that I am officially a member.

KUDOS! You can act as our "mole".

First things first... What's the secret handshake? ;)

Zom.
whiteshadow
Under bridge, eating incautious goats

Mood: Hieronymus Karl Friedrich, Freiherr von Münchhausen

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 01:54

got registered finally on CSA , GODDAMIT........you guys saw the questionnaire , they won't ask those many even if u join in nsa , but that stuff was entirely different from what we do here ........ anyways win/win as zombie quoted :D :cool: :cool:
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 08:16

So should I join, what does it do/mean, even? Or are we just infiltrating them for the fun of it?

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 08:21

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
So should I join, what does it do/mean, even? Or are we just infiltrating them for the fun of it?

You can simply fill in the questionnaire without joining (join later if you like).

And NO: it's not a question of 'infiltrating' them, for 'fun' or whatever.

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 08:51

Filled out my membership information.
Basically name, e-mail, location.
I am not sure what they refuse someone on
unless it is the embargo countries as this appears
to be US based.

Supposedly about a week to receive a reply.
Guessing they only process applications once a week.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 16:38

It took a couple days for my approval letter. Filled out the form on April 18'th and the response came April 21'st. Good to go
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 30-4-2015 at 08:12

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

You can simply fill in the questionnaire without joining (join later if you like).

And NO: it's not a question of 'infiltrating' them, for 'fun' or whatever.

I have a feeling you have something against me, have perceived me wrongly, or are generally bad at interpreting jokes.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2015 at 08:37

I have a feeling you have something against me, have perceived me wrongly, or are generally bad at interpreting jokes.

I have nothing against you (I hardly know you) but maybe your jokes aren't very funny?

'Infiltrating' is a very loaded word, in this context. Better avoided for that reason. Trying to work with or within an existing organisation should not be described that way. Instead of silly jokes, maybe try being serious? It doesn't hurt.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top