Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Guess who came to my house today...
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 21-4-2015 at 23:14
Guess who came to my house today...

Call me a Liar (I deserve that).

Here it is. I was working in the yard with my dogs, and I hear the neighbor yelling for me frantically.
His 6 yo grandson is missing. I offer the advice I can muster, ask for a shirt or some clothes the kid has worn, and set my killer dog Andre out to find the kid.

Jump on the 50cc scoot, and follow the dog all over their property, the woods behind, and finally down the street.

Eventually my dog looses interest, and just begins wandering. I leash him up, and head home.
By this time there are at least 20 people, cops, firemen, and concerned neighbors. People yelling for the boy, cops with dogs, firemen just sitting, and talking.

I spend 15 minutes w/ all of them, and head back inside. Now the cop dogs are all over the neighborhood, and howling up a storm. My dogs are furious that new dogs are in town...

I start cooking supper, and four sheriffs, and our chief of police knock. I'm friends w/ the chief, and two of the deputies so I invite them in. We talk about any strange cars or people... Nothing I can think of. We talk about the local sex offenders... All accounted for.
One deputy that I did not know asks if he can use the can... Sure! He walks back, and opens my bedroom door... Ah HAH!
If you want to look around, no problem. Let me go out back, and leash up the dogs. Chief. you wana come w/ me?

He plays w/ the dogs for a minute, we leash them up, he checks out the shed, and garage.
We head back in, and guess what?

Four deputies standing in the door to my not yet finished lab!

Hey uh Ken... What's all this?
LOL, LOL, LOL! All I could think of was Wolfgang.

It's all legit guys. Here have a look. I show them the fire inspection cert., and the city permit.

Why do you have all of this?

It's hard to make a living working everyday so I decided to make drugs. (not as funny as I thought...

No really guys, I took an interest in chemistry because I am just a curious kind of guy. I saw all the utube vids on plant extractions, and that led to more general chemistry videos, and articles, that led to a chemistry forum, and that led to the lab you see here.
I plan to research epoxy, and polyester resins for this hydrofoil design I developed...

Spin up the computer, and show them the designs... Friggin impressive Ken. I have to admit you had us going for a minute...

Cool guys... I appreciate your realizing what is going on here. If you need any boat or engine work... You know where to find me.

They go about their door to door... Three hours later, almost dark. The kid comes crawling out from a tree in the yard where he fell asleep. It was an old tree fort built maybe 20 years ago, and Nobody thought to look.

1/2 hr. later Chief comes by w/ one of the deputies. Ken meet D*****.
Hi!

I have a Sea Ray 23 foot that needs a new floor. Can I bring it by to have you look at it?

NO I FU@KING HATE COPS!

Just kidding... I got the job.

Yep! Life never happens the way you think it might.

What a day.

I forgot... No body asked about the still. I think the lab threw them for a loop.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 00:37

I'm glad to hear it went well with finding the kid first off, and well with the interactions secondly. even better considering they were impressed, the certs add a nice layer of comfort on top of having a legitimate business that uses some of the chems you have. seems like it would be a plausible jump from having the stuff around to wondering if your could do more with it also. I kinda wished I didn't have to buy the chlorinators and other chems around the house from my pool, mainly because it is EXPENSIVE. it does make it easy to do quick projects if the mood strikes, as it's always on hand though.

we do have a bit of different taste in jokes. not much of the "f-u,... naw I'm kidding guy" type of joker. more of a "you think you can let my next speeding ticket slide?, JK LOL". regardless good on you for making friends, showing back yard chemists aren't tools, and helping with the search.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 02:21

Wow Zombie. I guess it goes to show that doing things properly pays off.

And what a drama with the neighbours. Big relief when their kid is found!!
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 05:53

I opened this thread expecting to read about a knock and talk at the very least... I was thinking oh, no, this can't be good--especially with all the still talk.

I am so happy things turned out well for you! *whew!*

Some people aren't so lucky, while at the same time, some people are doing things they shouldn't be doing. It is refreshing to hear the opposite of "I was raided today, and I don't know why. They didn't find anything but were harassing me and telling me they would take me down." I am not saying this needs to happen more often, but this was a nice read.

Also, a good example of how to treat law enforcement. They are people too. Good job!
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 13:02

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  

Also, a good example of how to treat law enforcement. They are people too. Good job!

That was the main point in my posting the event.

I live in a tiny town/city (2500 people), and you do actually know everyone. If not on a first name basis, you have seen them. Cops included.

If this was NYC or any other big city, the cops may have reacted different. Just due to the stress they are under. I would have reacted exactly the same. (given the chance)

There is sort of a moral here... Do what you know is right, and treat everyone the same. King or pauper... If you are in the right, you are the same as them.

20130725a2.jpg - 43kB

Zom.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 13:29

Damn.

I thought it was a Competition.

Was going to say 'Santa Claus'

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 14:35

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Damn.

I thought it was a Competition.

Was going to say 'Santa Claus'

I'll still give you the win! :D

Zom.
cryomancer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 15:07

Man you are one of the lucky ones. As soon as is saw who posted it i instantly though of Wolfgang. When If finally get set up im not going to take any chances with the law(you know get the inspections ATF license because i like explosives and would prefer not to have an officer asking me why i have a pound of RDX. The answer of "uuuhhhh found it" comes to mind)
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 15:45

I thought of that too LOL LOL!

You want to explain all of this voodoo, hocus pocus chemical stuff we found?

I, uh found it???

I've been stating from my very first posts here that NOT taking the time to put your cards on the table, and registering where required by law, code, regulations, whatever... Can only lead to much larger issues.

It's sort of like parking your car in the center of the road to do an engine swap. They can cite you for a dozen infractions, when all you needed to do was pull off to the side.

I don't remember if I posted picts of the hydrofoil I am developing... This is really what changed the mood.
It's a sail powered foil boat 14 - 20 feet long depending on the model. Just tought I'd throw it in here... (one o the versions)

Tsunami Racer v. I 4.jpg - 138kB

Zom.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 16:04

That looks like something from Star Trek.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 16:23

I, ummmm Found it!

Zom.
cryomancer
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 16:34

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
I, ummmm Found it!

@Zombie
LIAR LIAR I SAY! this hole thing has been made up its got all the signs of a lie! (hehe just messin with ya)

Also thougt of another one
Officer: so where did you get all these explosives.

Well you see officer... its a long story....
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 16:39

Well you see officer... its a long story....

Trust me... We have plenty of time.

Zom.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 07:42

Explosives? My enemies are trying to blow me up!!! RUN!!!!
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 08:58

Use proper English please... Mine enemies are trying to blow Myself up. Andale!

See. That just sounds more better. :P

Zom.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 13:40

Adding Spanish into the mangled English helpeth not, forsooth.

Strange hydrofoil design.

Have you ever experimented with Skids rather than Foils ?

[Edited on 23-4-2015 by aga]

IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 09:21

I don't understand why the lowest foils are so much larger than the middle set. Seems as the velocity increased you want less contact with the surface of the water. How do you steer it. Also how do you propel it, a jet engine?

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 12:20

Artist is more accurate, and you deserve every cent you ever get.

Incredible talent.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 13:35

Strange hydrofoil design.

Have you ever experimented with Skids rather than Foils ?

[Edited on 23-4-2015 by aga]

The basis of the design is taking natural designs, and modifying them. I have sort of a series of this design based on the geometry of a Hammer Head shark.
Believe it or not all of the pelagic species have one thing in common. The Golden Ratio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

These are sail powered boats. I am experimenting with airfoil designs vs conventional sails.
All of the world speed record sail powered vessels are using them so a scaled down version may be in the near future.

I am sticking with foils because of the lower drag coefficient. At the correct speeds a foil can run, and maintain attitude at a zero degree attack angle. The thinner the blade the less drag. That's why I am experimenting with epoxies. I need a lighter, and stronger epoxy to change the way foils are made.

Quote: Originally posted by IrC  
I don't understand why the lowest foils are so much larger than the middle set. Seems as the velocity increased you want less contact with the surface of the water.

based of of the zero degree attack of the main foils the boat could not reach ride height. That is controlled in similar designs by mechanically adjusting the attack angles. The problems begin to pile up, and the foils/struts need to be built heavier to allow for all the mechanical bits.

The smaller foils are stationary but they are set at a 2.5* attack. This pushes the boat out of the water allowing the primary foils to take over at their pre set level.
They also address another issue. Changes in hull speed.

When a sail powered vessel needs to change direction there is always a loss in hull speed. at o degrees the boat will fall off of "plane". With hydrofoils this is basically a dead stop, as the hull hits the water.
The smaller foils will prevent the hull from hitting the water, allowing for a faster recovery, and less momentum or speed loss.

Artist is more accurate, and you deserve every cent you ever get.

Incredible talent.

LOL... I'm not sure how to read that...

This boat is still on the drawing board. I have shop space committed to the build, and most of the materials assembled. I have a prototype plan, testing plan, and future manufacturing plans.

I had a partner in the deal bu as you all know... You can lead a horse to water. people see dollar signs before they think.

I have an entire marketing plan, web site designs, forum layout, global campaign set up, and a country to manufacture in.
All I really need is time, and money to build the prototype. I'm figuring once the lab, and current motorcycle are done I will jump on this project.

Here is a link to the only comparable idea on the planet. It is easy to spot the flaws in the design once you attempt to "fly" a Moth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SN1gSkqvy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMH5HSZvK3I

I'm attempting to elimenate all the design flaws in those boats, and vastly increase hull speed. Let's say three times the wind speed.

Here's another version...

[Edited on 5-3-2015 by Zombie]

[Edited on 5-4-2015 by Zombie]

Mako Web Header I.jpg - 174kB

Zom.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 07:22

Have you looked at a porpoise shape? Navy still hasn't figured out how they get through the water as fast as they do.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 07:51

I'm looking at all sorts of marine life.

In reality tho this is just a silhouette kind of thing as the boat rides above the water.
It's actually more to do w/ the Golden Ratio than the "design" of the species.

When you break down the numbers of a Pelagic species the component placement on the boats are precisely lined up. Thinks like strutt placement, strutt angles, mast, control surfaces, ect..

It was pretty cool figuring it out.

Zom.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 12:26

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
Have you looked at a porpoise shape? Navy still hasn't figured out how they get through the water as fast as they do.

Sure they did, just never published it.

Rough micro-texture, same as shark skin.

Grab one and have a quick look under the microscope.

Edit:

In metal, form your hydrofoil shape.
Peen it from the trailing edge for x minutes,
Reverse the piece.
Peen it again from the front edge for x/3 minutes.

Creates a pocked texture in the metal where the flow maximises itself due to microscopic cavitation pockets, effectively preventing the water even touching it (when moving: it's a hydrodynamic effect)

Take care that the front/back angles match the flow of water.

[Edited on 4-5-2015 by aga]

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 13:34

Thanks for that Aga.

I'm building the foils from Carbon Fiber so peeing is out. Coincidentally enough... The machine shop that is cutting my internal core pieces is a golf ball manufacturer. I've talked to him about extrapolating some of the dimple molds into a flat surface for me.
I've had the same thought.

Also the shark skin textures... There could be something useful in modeling the foil skins after these.

I live right on the gulf so a test tank is not really needed. I can run a "Go Pro" to see what is working, and what isn't

So you've messed around with these before. What were you into?

I've experimented with this hydrofoil on a 10' jet boat (x-jet ski guts / plywood boat) I built a few years ago but that's all I've played with so far.

Zom.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 13:56

Cast a small foil in aluminium.

Peen it front and back. Sand blast if you have to.

The difference should be scientifically proveable (same as thumper).

If you are not currently able to cast, send me a couple (in case i screw it up) foils in polystyrene and i'll cast, test, peen, then test again.

Please specify the test conditions as all this stuff comes from my hyper-intelligent Subconscious, whereas i'm mostly operating with just my inebriated conscious mind.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 14:23

I'm working on foils that are close to 1/16" thick. The stainless cores are 0.003" sheet.
Aluminium is too heavy, and not strong enough.

What I'm doing is vacuum forming carbon fiber over a drilled sheet of stainless to make the struts, and foils. I need them lighter, thinner, and stronger than the materials I have allow.

Part of this dilemma has led me to inducing cavitation... If I can take stress away from specific areas of the foils using cavitation to create low pressure areas on top of the foil... that might help.

I'm looking into molds to set a pattern into the epoxy coating. That is why I am looking at Graphine, and carbon nano tubes. I need to strengthen the epoxy, set some low pressure areas, and hope it works.

I'm also designing some "truss" supports across the blades but I'd rather solve the problems, than add more material.

Zom.

Go To Top