Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Obtaining a manufacture license
szuko03
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-4-2015 at 13:34
Obtaining a manufacture license

So I recently came into a great sale on perchlorates and it got me thinking about seriously applying for a explosives license. Currently I am 28 years old living in an owned house in a residential neighborhood. My main goal is to be able to have in my possession amounts of oxidizer perhaps for minor resale, like small amounts to individuals but also for making my own fireworks. I dont have a criminal record or anything.

I was just wondering what the process is for those who have received one. I recently filled out the paperwork for the application just to see what they ask and how it looks when I write my stuff in. The only issue is the money, which isnt even a big issue. So what are the odds that an old chemistry major trying to break into the licensed oxidizer market and succeeding? It does ask if I want to produce dynamite and the alike, if I check yes for manufacturing things like dynamite and black powder just to make sure I am covered for the future does that make it less likely to be accepted? Since I really only want to import large quantities of oxidizer, and not the fuel, and produce homemade fireworks not for retail should I avoid checking all for manufacture?

I hope someone has one and can tell me. I am pretty sure I meet all the requirements to not be denied, I just dont want to submit an application fee only to get denied because I live in CT or I dont even know why they would.

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
Varmint
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-4-2015 at 13:37

Your immediate obstacle is the residential neighborhood.

In fact I wouldn't even bother submitting for denial, as I'm virtually certain that would be the outcome.
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-4-2015 at 13:48

Then is there anything special just for ordering various fuels and oxidizers? I suppose my main question is things become cheaper in bulb is there an issue of buying 5 kilos of Potassium Perchlorate and then selling 4 of them for a profit and keeping one for myself? That is basically all I plan on doing.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 25-4-2015 at 14:32

Quote: Originally posted by Varmint  
Your immediate obstacle is the residential neighborhood.

In fact I wouldn't even bother submitting for denial, as I'm virtually certain that would be the outcome.

Plus 1

You need a commercial property that meets these minimum requirements...

https://books.google.com/books?id=Hzl0BgAAQBAJ&pg=RA1-PA...

Something else that will help is to set an appointment with one of the many manufacturers in CT, and discuss how they obtained their Lisc.

When applying to build a lab in my home I was told by the zoning board NO!
I had to go to the state, and have a detailed "Mission Statement", and Business plan including materials I wish to handle/ posses. Field of research, applicable training or education, and proof of possession of a commercial property WITH a signed document from the property owner allowing for chemical research. The last bit was easy. I own it.

I assembled all the paperwork, and PDF formatted it back to Tallahassee.

Their response was I don't need a permit or Lisc. from the state. All I need is a business Lisc. from the city, and a Fire Marshall inspection on the property.

I installed the sprinkler system, second door exit, safety glass windows, and a 2 key locking system for both doors.

I now have a legit, inspected lab well under way.

YOU WILL need a state, and town/city permit, and all the rest I had to do.
Commercial property, and clearance from the owner are first.

The rest is in the link I provided. Good luck. I hope you can find a way to make it work.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-4-2015 at 15:21

I knew it wasn't enough that the residence was no where near the street or anyone's property. Though I get why it's the way it is it's too bad it's so complicated to be legit. I'll keep putting in the work to see what's possible because I don't wanna be some fireworks king pin, I want like a micro business to keep my actual chemistry expenses down through the profits from a fun side project.

Why, why does it have to be so hard to sell grams of compounds. I wouldn't face nearly as many regulatory issues with selling those same atoms separately (just let me have the joke ;)

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 26-4-2015 at 09:03

It's all yours! :D:D:D:D:D

Zom.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 26-4-2015 at 09:04

Probably the biggest problem for an explosive license is storage you have distance spacing issues and such.
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
26-4-2015 at 09:54
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 26-4-2015 at 10:59

Look here for USA:

https://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5400...

https://www.nyu.edu/mail.services/pdf/Shipping%20Hazardous%2...

[Edited on 29-4-2015 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2015 at 06:05

I understand it is hard to obtain an explosives license for the stated issues, especially since on paper it looks bad in a residence. What if I stick to personal use fireworks? Is just submitting the license paperwork with a residence as the location a no go in general? Also what if I just want to stock and sell small amounts of oxidizers and coloring agents but no fuel?

Varmint
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2015 at 07:02

Residence = Bad Idea. (Period)

You don't want to be reselling either, why assume that level of risk?

You seem to want to justify having a license, when you aren't even remotely prepared to become legitimate.

My advice is forget the fantasy of being a supplier so you can get yours for "free". You would have to sell a LOT to get to the point to where yours is "free".

Buy 1Lb of KClO4 from one vendor, buy 1Lb of Ekhart 5413HB from another, 1lb per year seems to be the magic figure, beyond that license is required.

Now here's the key: You are allowed (legally at this point in time) to mix and use this pyrotechnic composition, provided that what you mix is used during the course of the day. It cannot be transported nor stored!. The other part of this is using it on you own property, or someone else's property for which you have SIGNED permission in WRITING. Now you are still not free and clear, if your activities upset the neighbors or anyone else that results in a call to the police, you WILL have to provide proof that what you are doing is technically "legal", apologize for the disturbance, and offer to destroy the remained of your one day supply, or, with their permission share the fun with them before they leave.

Notice something? I expressly DID NOT provide a reference to any documentation proving the "legality" of what is stated above. Why? Because it is up to you to do your own research, prove it to yourself, make sure it applies to your circumstances, and make copies to be carried with you while you are out lighting off the salutes it is so incredibly clear you are trying intently to justify making.

Do your research. Be safe. Good luck.

[Edited on 28-4-2015 by Varmint]
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2015 at 13:04

^ and the idea of 1lb a year is my concern because plenty of websites offer 10lb deals on oxidizer, I just purchased one. I even called and asked if I could WITHOUT a license and they said it wasnt an issue. And that is exactly the scale I wish to break even on, buying one 10 pound order at half price and selling 8lb at 75% retail to make back my money. It is not large scale at all and I could probably sell 18lb of "whatever" at 75% and make my money back for the years personal fireworks.

Everyone is getting caught up in this. My question is because some people sell it here and they do not have a business I am assuming is that illegal beyond the tax stuff. I.E can I sell the potassium perchlorate without the fuel, do you need a license for that and is it under the same license as the one posted above. I understand how business works and that most dont braek even but this isnt a business, its hobby! Why is there such an elitist feel to all of this? I never said I wanted to be some huge supplier if I have 5 people that buy 1 pound a year thats it thats all i need is that legal?

I got it good analogy, something like unitednuclear.com but like the type of scale where one has 5 people hat buy twice a year, UN doesnt need a manfuacturers license do they?

Maybe its not even worth it, I'll wait the additional 10 years, to see if my life changes enough, and just hope that my desire to not do anything wrong provides me with the karma i need to avoid any issues I just wanted to make sure I tried :)

[Edited on 28-4-2015 by szuko03]

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 28-4-2015 at 14:07

One possible way around the residential issue is having a shared magazine for storage. The key thing is that you can store things in someone else's magazine. But it must be stored and not left unattended. Ie. You can work somewhere other than the magazine location but materials must be used or returned to the magazine at the end of the day. Many model rocketry clubs have low explosive magazines for storing model rocket motors. Fireworks clubs have similar arrangements.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 29-4-2015 at 02:34

Quote: Originally posted by Varmint  

Now here's the key: You are allowed (legally at this point in time) to mix and use this pyrotechnic composition, provided that what you mix is used during the course of the day. It cannot be transported nor stored!. The other part of this is using it on you own property, or someone else's property for which you have SIGNED permission in WRITING. Now you are still not free and clear, if your activities upset the neighbors or anyone else that results in a call to the police, you WILL have to provide proof that what you are doing is technically "legal", apologize for the disturbance, and offer to destroy the remained of your one day supply, or, with their permission share the fun with them before they leave.

Notice something? I expressly DID NOT provide a reference to any documentation proving the "legality" of what is stated above. Why? Because it is up to you to do your own research, prove it to yourself, make sure it applies to your circumstances, and make copies to be carried with you while you are out lighting off the salutes it is so incredibly clear you are trying intently to justify making.

Do your research. Be safe. Good luck.

[Edited on 28-4-2015 by Varmint]

I would have to agree 100% on these two paragraphs.

Look it up. Forget about selling anything. Buck up, and enjoy.

Didn't you see the thread on this forum about the kid w/ cancer, and his friend?

The cops beat one to death, and the other is hiding in the space station.
No Not really!!!

It's almost that bad tho, and all one kid did was "give" a few grams of amonium nitrate to his friend, and one has not been heard from "here" since, and the other was held in custody as a TERRORIST.

You're scheme will land you in hot crap fast!

Zom.
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-4-2015 at 06:31

^ Yeah and to be honest it was either be open with people and try to obtain a license or do it in secrete and not get caught. I am adult so I trust myself to be responsible not get hurt or cause any damage. I figured also that this is a good topic for discussion as the acquisition subforum is a place where people sell small amounts of oxidizer and fuel, is it not possible to be branded a terrorist or at least a threat by doing so there? This was why I was trying to focus the convocation on the buying and selling of oxidizers as they have a variety of uses not just flash powder or something that is known to be illegal.

If it turns out it is best to sell smaller amounts in a "black market" style market place in stead of doing so with the proper tax papers and the alike then so be it. Life is long and chemistry is a passion for me so in 10 years not much about it will change other then my access to things so if by then it is better to get a license i will simply do it when PI am 40. I try to think of it like this, life is long I figure i got another 50 years here if it takes 45 to get to the top point of my dreams then so be it, I am in no rush and find that like wine life gets a little better with age, in some respects.

Go To Top