Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electroplating iron
DrMario
Hazard to Others

Mood: Underpaid.

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 04:42
Electroplating iron

I am aware of mainstream processes for electroplating copper and nickel. However, I don't know how one would go about electroplating iron? I have a metallic electrode I want to cover with a layer of iron - it should be more-or-less smooth and not dendritic. Evaporation and sputtering are not an option - must be electroplated.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 10:42
Iron electroplating and electroforming

http://jes.ecsdl.org/content/84/1/319.abstract

Are you able to access the article?

Also, I would use pulse-reverse plating. I use this method routinely for electrodepositing copper and nickel. It allows for control over grain structure and provides better leveling.

No matter what method you use, the plating solution must be filtered very well, no dust or foreign particles allowed. Ideally it is constantly filtered, but for small jobs it is sufficient to filter before use. This minimizes the risk of nodules.

Of course, the chemicals used must be very pure, else the results are unpredictable.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 12:15

WGTR you may well have saved an artist from whatever the equivalent of writer's block is in metalworking artists !

Not me, a neighbour.

Thanks a lot on his behalf !

gatosgr
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 00:50

Why do you want to electroplate iron?

[Edited on 5-5-2015 by gatosgr]
jock88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 05:47

US patent No. 3,850,701 has a recipe
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 06:18

Quote: Originally posted by WGTR  

Also, I would use pulse-reverse plating. I use this method routinely for electrodepositing copper and nickel. It allows for control over grain structure and provides better leveling.

No matter what method you use, the plating solution must be filtered very well, no dust or foreign particles allowed. Ideally it is constantly filtered, but for small jobs it is sufficient to filter before use. This minimizes the risk of nodules.

Of course, the chemicals used must be very pure, else the results are unpredictable.

Yes, I should be able to access J. Electrochem. Soc. from my university account. Thank you for the tip. I'm home with a flu so I am not able to read it now, nor to think straight.
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 06:20

Quote: Originally posted by WGTR  

Ah, the damned Iron(II) salts! I had the feeling I'll need them for this!!! You have no idea how passionately I hate those buggers, sensitive little snowflakes as they are :D
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 13:24

Active metal. Seems difficult. If I really needed an "iron electrode", I might try fabricating or casting one directly.

Been about 30 days. Any luck yet?
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 14:28

If it were me, the first thing that I would try would be making the ferrous salts from iron powder and the respective acids. Excess iron ensures the ferrous state. For bargain basement chemistry I'd use ordinary mild steel instead.

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 02:22

There used to be a reference in the site library on electroplating. I don't see it anymore, was it removed?

Try this and see if it helps.

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015000448939;vie...

and here: http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015000449119;vie...

[Edited on 11-5-2015 by hyfalcon]

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 19:27

Quote: Originally posted by DrMario  

Ah, the damned Iron(II) salts! I had the feeling I'll need them for this!!! You have no idea how passionately I hate those buggers, sensitive little snowflakes as they are :D

I know you had some trouble with store-bought FeSO4, but I promise they aren't always that unstable. If you're confident in the purity of the reagents available to you, you can make it yourself, and I doubt it will be as sensitive as the stuff you bought before.

DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 00:50

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
Quote: Originally posted by DrMario  

I know you had some trouble with store-bought FeSO4, but I promise they aren't always that unstable. If you're confident in the purity of the reagents available to you, you can make it yourself, and I doubt it will be as sensitive as the stuff you bought before.

Indeed I made some FeSO4 a while ago. I just checked, and in spite of residual sulfuric acid and tight lid on the bottle, there's some brownish hue appearing. I still have some FeSO4 under sulfuric acid, and that seems to be holding up.

I had little luck with FeCl2 - it all went to FeCl3 by now.
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 00:54

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
Active metal. Seems difficult. If I really needed an "iron electrode", I might try fabricating or casting one directly.

Been about 30 days. Any luck yet?

Due to reasons, I have to prepare the electrode with a given process and then plate it with iron.

I am still preparing for the experiment. I didn't want to even start planning the details before I knew that I have all that is needed. I promise that I will update this thread when I get 'er done.
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 00:58

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
There used to be a reference in the site library on electroplating. I don't see it anymore, was it removed?

Try this and see if it helps.

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015000448939;vie...

and here: http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015000449119;vie...

Excellent input - thank you!

Go To Top