Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: DEA investigates possible HazMat lab in Newport News home
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 05:36
DEA investigates possible HazMat lab in Newport News home

Apparently, a university student kept some chemicals and lab equipment at his home. I do not believe this student was engaged in any illicit activities, but it goes to show that here in the USA all it takes is a "tip" about the possibility of hazardous chemicals. Aren't most chemicals considered "hazardous"? What exactly do they mean by hazardous? Solvents? Acids? Bases? In my opinion, they are all a hazard given the wrong circumstances, so what is their definition of hazardous that prompted a judge to sign a search warrant?

http://wavy.com/2015/05/14/dea-investigating-hazardous-mater...

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Drug Enforcement Administration officials set up a large perimeter near Kerry Lake Drive in Newport News Thursday, after receiving a tip about potentially hazardous material.

Officials confirm the DEA, Newport News fire and police, state police and state emergency management responded to a home in the 500 block around 9 a.m.

James Oxford with the DEA told WAVY.com Newport News police issued a search warrant and officials found some type of lab at the home. It remains unclear what type of lab it is.

Chopper 10 video showed a scene on a residential street, where investigators seemed to be spreading out items taken from a home on tarps. Newport News police spokesman Lou Thurston told WAVY.com the things pulled from the house will be tested.

“It takes a long time to look for what you’re looking for, to find it, to make sure its stable. [We] have to bring it out and preliminarily test it. It’s a long tedious process,” he said.

Thurston said they were “looking for anything that may be a hazardous material or has the potential to be a part of a formula for hazardous material. He would not say what kinds of hazardous material they suspected.

“I don’t want to taint this thing and say it could be this or it could be that,” he said.

Thurston also said no arrests have been made and no arrest warrants have been filed.

Shirley Rucker said she lives in the house with her grandson, who she said is a 23-year-old Old Dominion University student majoring in chemistry. Rucker said her grandson often keeps chemicals in his bedroom and in the basement, but she thinks they are legal.

“[He] has been a joy to have live with me. He’s very neat. He’s very clean. He’s very conscientious and he works very hard with his chemistry,” Rucker said.

Of her grandson’s love of chemistry, Rucker said, “Well, I was fine, until this. This kind of made me think twice about it.”

Rucker said police were at the house Wednesday and told her they’d be back Thursday with a search warrant. She said her grandson was not at the home during the search and he told her he was surprised by all of this.

Neighbors were surprised by what they saw, as well. One Sailor got home from work and saw the road in front of his house blocked off.

“It’s unusual. [I] haven’t had something like this happen before, so close to home,” Garrett Schoonover said.

Police say there is no immediate threat to the public. “We’re doing everything we can to complete the investigation and not disrupt the neighborhood for any longer than what we have to,” Thurston said.

No further information has been released. Stay with WAVY.com for updates on this story.

[Edited on 15-5-2015 by Loptr]
Tabun
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 05:57

My conclusion on "police" subject,judging them by their behaviour and how people see them : they are just a bunch of motherfuckers paid by people to create problems to these people.It's not only in this chemistry field.I bet you hear people complaining about police or trying to avoid them.I seriously hate the police in my country.They are just a pain in the ass.I ended up asking myself "what the fuck can I do except school-home in this god damn country?".Seriously,I couldn't find anything else that's actually interesting and legal at the same time.It isn't just that "it sucks".It's an actual serious problem when they begin to opress us.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 06:03

I think it would be safe to say they are looking for controlled and listed substances, precursory material, certain types of lab equipment, and anything that might be energetic.

Either way, depending on what this student had, I am sure there was a lot of explaining involved.

I feel bad for the grandmother, because regardless of how this turns out, she will be seen as the one with the meth cook grandson. I am sure the neighbors will be steering clear in the future in fear of the house exploding...

EDIT:

From the pictures I can make out some tubing, Buchner funnel, funnels, lab ring support, maybe a hot plate, what seem to be boxes of glassware, and possibly tubs of chemicals. I am just curious if the buckets belong to the agents or the student. Either way, there doesn't seem to be a whole that there that SHOULD draw attention. Unless this student was prancing around the front yard in a gas mask and black PVC apron with the words "Mad Scientist" written across the front, what else would justify this tea party that was thrown for him?

blogfast25, now do you see where allowing people to know about your business gets you?

[Edited on 15-5-2015 by Loptr]
diggafromdover
Hazard to Self

Mood: Inconherent

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 06:25

Go back far enough in the synthetic chain and most things can be shown to be the precursor to something bad. Granny is lucky the DEA didn't seize her house.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 06:27

I fear the bill they will send later will seize the house.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 06:38

So if he's found to not be doing anything nasty HE ends up with the bill ?

Surely the cretin who reported it should get the bill for wasting police time ?

[Edited on 15-5-2015 by aga]

Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 07:18

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
So if he's found to not be doing anything nasty HE ends up with the bill ?

Surely the cretin who reported it should get the bill for wasting police time ?

[Edited on 15-5-2015 by aga]

Honestly, aga, I really don't know. I can't imagine they wouldn't want to pass it off to them since "they" are the reason they were there...

I hope that if one of my neighbors took issue with something I was doing, they would come to me first. In all likely hood, I would be accommodating and submit to their concerns. In reality, since people do not like confrontation, this is more than likely what would actually transpire.

This is why I say time and time again, keep it close to the chest, because if they come it won't matter if its in view or hidden, the same process will be used to determine if you are up to no good. Regardless of the outcome, the process this entails is damaging in and of itself. You look like a crazy person to your neighbors and the rest of the city when they see you on the news at the center of a suspected meth lab.
diggafromdover
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 07:25

There was a case in Mass where a retired chemist had an unrelated A/C fire. The local FD confiscated all his stock and billed him thousands for disposal. Then it was decided he had been entirely legal. He still paid.

There are no effective limits to police power - not when they are no consequences for its misuse.

Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 07:30

Quote: Originally posted by diggafromdover  
There was a case in Mass where a retired chemist had an unrelated A/C fire. The local FD confiscated all his stock and billed him thousands for disposal. Then it was decided he had been entirely legal. He still paid.

There are no effective limits to police power - not when they are no consequences for its misuse.

This brings up the question again of what do they consider "hazardous enough" to either confiscate and dispose of, or provide you with a citation for its ownership?

I know that some members here have mentioned having many gallons of various solvents and acids. I would imagine the sheer quantity would be enough to invoke a more reactive response.

I wish things like this were more cut and dry as to what will and what won't get you in trouble, but it might be that way intentionally to give the responders the ability to handle a situation as they see fit.
diggafromdover
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 07:40

One idea might be to document carefully what you have, get an MSDS for each item, pop it in a binder, and hang it on the wall next to the fire extinguisher.

The Mass case proceeded as it did because the FD had no idea what they were dealing with and felt obligated to react. A detailed inventory might have tempered their response.

Proper storage is also a good things. Those gallons of solvent should go in a solvents locker with protection from ignition sources and provisions for spill cleanup (bucket of cat litter)

Crazy meth cooks don't do this. Neither do deranged individuals.

[Edited on 15-5-2015 by diggafromdover]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 08:42

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
blogfast25, now do you see where allowing people to know about your business gets you?

And keeping things 'secret' would have helped, how? Do prey, tell. There's ALWAYS a trace, Loptr, always. Maybe they raided one of his suppliers and found receipts? Something like the latter happened to me.

Not to mention that WE DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT HE WAS UP TO. Something illicit cannot yet be excluded.

[Edited on 15-5-2015 by blogfast25]

Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 09:25

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

And keeping things 'secret' would have helped, how? Do prey, tell. There's ALWAYS a trace, Loptr, always. Maybe they raided one of his suppliers and found receipts? Something like the latter happened to me.

Not to mention that WE DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT HE WAS UP TO. Something illicit cannot yet be excluded.

That is a completely valid point. Keeping things secret is an attempt to preempt the situation.

I was basing that statement on the possibility of a neighbor being the one that provided the tip, but you are absolutely right. We don't yet know the facts of the matter are as they have yet to be released.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 10:14

I was basing that statement on the possibility of a neighbor being the one that provided the tip, but you are absolutely right.

Even in the case of a tip off by a neighbour, secrecy wouldn't help you. A really nosy neighbour, perhaps one with a grudge against you, perhaps one that got a whiff of that ammonia or whatnot, WILL find out what you're up to if he REALLY wants to. And then that 'secret stash' will work against you when you're raided.

Stay within the Law and within your rights and be discreet by not being nuissance. Dura lex sed lex. And if you don't like it, campaign to have it amended or repealed.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 14:12

My guess is as mr. Blog stated that it was not so much a "tip" as an investigation from a 'trail' of purchases.

The net is full of stories of people buying Lab Glass, and chemicals on FleaBay, and other sites only to get that knock on the door.

You'll note in the report that "they" went to the home on one day, and stated they would return w/ a warrant?

Obviously "they had no idea IF there were any chemicals or hazardous materials at that location UNTiL the G mother spoke, and presumably verified that the G son was indeed interested in chemistry.

The very reason you say NOTHING!

I'm one of those fellas that store hundreds of gallons of assorted "watch list" items.
There are perhaps 10 others here in town that have the same situation.
The reason WE don't get raided is because we all purchase under our business credit lines, and all of our businesses are legit. Everything i shipped to business addresses, and we pay our taxes on the sales that verifies an IN / OUT purpose fore ordering same.

If you look again at all these "raid" threads... They all originate at HOME addresses, and non professional possessors of whatever baking soda and vinegar combos these folks have.

My point is 99% of these raids result from a paper trail. Once the smoke clears they have to release where the info from the warrant was obtained. They cover their asses by visiting for verification, and again 99% of the time have no warrant on the first visit UNLESS there are known quantities of watch list or precursor items at that address that are VERIFIED thru order/delivery records aka credit card/paypal/usps/ups/fedex.

If you want to do this stuff at home... Without the benefit of a solid business plan, a LEGAL work area and you don't pay cash at a retail shop... you're exposed.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:01

Fact is that the Powers That Be do not want any kind of knowledge in the hands of Independents.

Independence Day is something they seriously do not want to happen, and i am not talking about Aliens.

Scientific research is still very much in it's infancy.

Imagine if I or YOU discover a working anti-gravity or effective Field technology tomorrow, and it makes several industries/military methods redundant ?

Do you think you will get a Nobel Prize , or silently killed ?

The chemistry 'clampdown' has Nothing to do with terrorist activity.

All governments of the world (that can) condone, produce, and sell weapons to other parties without much of a check on Who might actually Use them.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 17:23

That's the kicker.

We put Them in charge to be certain that n one takes advantage of US!

Go figure...

[Edited on 5-16-2015 by Zombie]

samuel-jackson-is-the-main-character-in-jaws-you-didnt-know-that.gif - 1.5MB

[Edited on 5-16-2015 by Zombie]

Zom.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 17:36

Imagine if I or YOU discover a working anti-gravity or effective Field technology tomorrow, and it makes several industries/military methods redundant ?

The chemistry 'clampdown' has Nothing to do with terrorist activity.

The chances of developing that kind of technology by an independent are basically ZERO. You really are attributing FAR too much clout to amateur science.

In the US, suspicion about chemistry is quite closely correlated with 'fear of kooks'. Legitimate or not is a different question.

Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 18:09

It might just the quantity thats getting to the police. I see some buckets and large containers in the chopper photos. The large scale bucket chemistry is what would get to somebody, even if the material is legal. It gives the impression of an operation, a production..
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 18:19

Quote: Originally posted by Hawkguy  
It might just the quantity thats getting to the police. I see some buckets and large containers in the chopper photos. The large scale bucket chemistry is what would get to somebody, even if the material is legal. It gives the impression of an operation, a production..

Except... we don't even know who the buckets belong to: the DEA or the student?

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 13:31

Fact is that the Powers That Be do not want any kind of knowledge in the hands of Independents.

I like my conspiracy theories a little less Alex Jones like.

It would be easier and less messy to ‘buy’ any independent scientists, or do what JP Morgan did to Tesla/Westinghouse. They could have disappeared/killed them, it just wasn’t necessary. And cheaper. And it left Morgan's undoubtedly sophisticated self-image intact.

Things that SHOULD worry people:

• The rise and seemingly unstoppable march of Neoliberalism.
• Neoliberal corporatism and what it’s doing to Democracy.
• Secret trade agreements.
• Mass surveillance in the name of the War on Whatever.

Once Monopolistic Capitalism is in place, perhaps with a support structure of State Terror, we can call it the The North Atlantic Behemoth.

You’ll still be able to twiddle with your iStuff<sup>™</sup>, just don’t use’m to call anyone. BTW, If you’re ever made redundant by the North Atlantic Behemoth, you can always seek ‘gainful employment’ by that other Behemoth and become a Mechanical Turk!

[Edited on 16-5-2015 by blogfast25]

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 13:41

I kind of agree.

All Governance has to play the tune of the one(s) paying the piper.

Chemistry has yielded some pretty big money-spinners, and no way do the giant corporates want anyone to stumble on a process that they a) discovered and hid or b) they are working on and were pipped at the post.

I disagree about the ZERO chance of any amateur discovering anything spectacular.

It is a a vanishingly small chance, yet it is there, and those million-to one shots come out OK 9 times out of 10 (Douglas Adams, Infinite Improbability Drive)

[Edited on 16-5-2015 by aga]

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 15:41

I don't think anyone read the article.

The hoopla is about two PVC Pipe bombs. The rest is an overflow investigation.

if anyone want to sneak peak at where the world is headed...

http://www.cuttingedge.org/news/n2265.cfm
NEWS BRIEF: "Hillary Clinton: A Bilderberg Presidency: European elite back Democratic frontrunner", By Daniel Taylor, Old Thinker News, November 10, 2007

"While President Bush's approval rating falls to record lows, the torch is being prepared to pass on to Hillary Clinton, with full endorsement from the global elite. With support from European nobility, Clinton has been selected as the candidate of choice for the continuation of globalist policies. Bill Clinton, being a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, Trilateral Commission, as well as the secretive Bilderberg group, was the creme de la creme establishment candidate. His wife, Hillary, who likely attended the 2006 Bilderberg conference in Ottawa Canada, now promises to follow in his path."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mYW5nmS9ps

fotoflexer_photo7.jpg - 141kB

[Edited on 5-17-2015 by Zombie]

Zom.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 16:27

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
I don't think anyone read the article.
The hoopla is about two PVC Pipe bombs. The rest is an overflow investigation.

What are you referring to? I read the article and saw nothing about this.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 16:55

It's in the first thirty seconds of the attached news clip.

http://wavy.com/2015/05/14/dea-investigating-hazardous-mater...

Here's a follow up report from yesterday. I have not read it yet... http://wavy.com/2015/05/15/affidavit-pipe-bombs-found-in-haz...

More links.

http://wtkr.com/2015/05/14/hazmat-situation-under-investigat...

http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news/local/mycity/newport-new...

Apparently it was a tip to police...

Zom.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 17:43

Thank you. I see the situation has been updated.

What I got out of these reports:

*neighbor complained
*DEA responds as a drug lab is suspected
*fire marshall says "pipe bombs" were found. That is, PVC pipes with caps filled with black powder. Couldn't these have been fireworks mortars if one cap was just a lid and not cemented in place?
*ODU college professor thinks the student was "learning how to make fireworks" based on the finding of strontium carbonate, etc
*student will not talk to police until his attorney is present. Smart move.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top