Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: GMO yeast produces opiates: challenges and opportunities
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 9-4-2021 at 22:13

You know something about Lysergic acid producing yeast? Stop holding out!

Tell us about it! Give us a link.

[Edited on 10-4-2021 by zed]
IrishJeremy
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-4-2021 at 12:11

Quote: Originally posted by superamoeba  
Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Opium poppies are perfectly legal in the UK and I don't know of any ban in the US. Is there one?
Also, they grow just fine here. My Grandmother used to grow them.

[Edited on 26-5-15 by unionised]

In the US, the only part of the P. somniferum plant that is LEGAL to possess are the seeds because they contain zero active alkaloids. It is illegal to grow the plants at all, however, I do see people who get away with doing it in their front yards every year. So, either it is mildly tolerated or most police don't really know what they look like.

[Edited on 5-4-2021 by superamoeba]

Papaver Somniferum are not illegal to grow in the US, there are companies that sell the dried pods for "ornamental" reasons such as flower arranging, but it's pretty obvious what they are really being bought for. What's illegal is growing them with the intent to extract the active drugs, and actually extracting them. You can grow them in your garden if you want.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2021 at 00:21

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
The bad people who would be interested in this must be very stupid bad people because the cost of growing and smuggling raw opium is magnitudes lower than the price of making it with GMO yeast.

Don't you see a pattern here? Some dope costs 1000$/kg in Asia, and it commands a million in the other parts of the world, yet one would need to travel through a lot, and know contacts and fear of getting robbed or incarcerated for life, as Asians tend to treat narco guys pretty unfriendly. Smuggling needs organizations, and organizations eat profits for living.

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
It's impossible to convert plain sugar into morphine... considering morphine contains nitrogen and sugar does not. The yeast necessarily requires a nitrogen containing feedstock that it is able to process as well. Ideally, this could be something as simple as an ammonium salt, but it may not be that easy. Yeast requires additional nutrients to thrive as well. Even using unmodified yeast to produce alcohol from sugar water is not sustainable without extra nutrients. For someone making moonshine with cheap commercial yeast, this isn't generally a concern, because you can just buy fresh yeast for each batch (and quite often, commercial yeast includes some key nutrients anyway). On the other hand, buying more expensive GMO yeast for every batch is certainly not profitable.

Yeast is grown in aerobic environment, and alcohol in anaerobic. One turns booze batch into yeast batch by aerating it. Yeast is grown by the ton this way industrially. I've done both, and yes, I know about nutrients, and have taken that also in consideration. Nutrients are sold in bags in every brewing store anyway, if one doesn't bother using ordinary supply. Yeast can even cannibalize itself if necessary.

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  
I remember when news about this first broke and I see that this thread is missing a vital part of the story: As soon as the scientists who did this succeeded they let law enforcement and government in on the creation for the purpose of making laws against using selling or possessing this yeast so that instead of the usual game of catch-up of the law trying to get precursors outlawed for years was avoided thus ensuring that there creation was never used outside of predetermined purposes. It was the first time this sequence of events has ever occurred.

If it's really kept in some highly developed country in specific research purposes only, it might stay off for a while, but likely Chinese will eventually develop one because they can either profit from it by using it themselves or selling it to others, and once it's out, it ain't getting back in. Something worth money with known directions tend to be dug upon, and only good way to keep something off the radar is to keep it's whole existence as a secret. NSA has this scheme: they file secret patents, and if someone files a similar enough, they will come public with it and reserve a 10-year proprietary patent for it at once.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 17-4-2021 at 06:59

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
It's impossible to convert plain sugar into morphine... considering morphine contains nitrogen and sugar does not. The yeast necessarily requires a nitrogen containing feedstock that it is able to process as well. Ideally, this could be something as simple as an ammonium salt, but it may not be that easy. Yeast requires additional nutrients to thrive as well. Even using unmodified yeast to produce alcohol from sugar water is not sustainable without extra nutrients. For someone making moonshine with cheap commercial yeast, this isn't generally a concern, because you can just buy fresh yeast for each batch (and quite often, commercial yeast includes some key nutrients anyway). On the other hand, buying more expensive GMO yeast for every batch is certainly not profitable.

Yeast is grown in aerobic environment, and alcohol in anaerobic. One turns booze batch into yeast batch by aerating it. Yeast is grown by the ton this way industrially. I've done both, and yes, I know about nutrients, and have taken that also in consideration. Nutrients are sold in bags in every brewing store anyway, if one doesn't bother using ordinary supply. Yeast can even cannibalize itself if necessary.
Yes, I’m well aware of how growing yeast works. I grew up around breweries. My point was that your initial assertion of “converting 2kg of sugar into 1g of morphine” is oversimplified and unrealistic. You still need a nitrogen-containing feedstock, and unless they can incorporate an ammonium salt or urea, that’s certainly going to be more expensive than the sugar. Still profitable? Sure, if everything else is done right. But not quite as extreme.

Regardless of whether this becomes available to “bad people,” it’ll only be the more sophisticated ones who are able to use it successfully. Reproducing a strain of yeast for many generations while retaining the same traits is not trivial. You have to keep it sealed off from contamination by any wild yeasts (which are everywhere), and aerate it with sterile air, or else you’ll end up finding that your special yeast isn’t so special anymore.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 17-4-2021 at 10:16

Regardless of whether this becomes available to “bad people,” it’ll only be the more sophisticated ones who are able to use it successfully. Reproducing a strain of yeast for many generations while retaining the same traits is not trivial.

Yeah I'll hope to obtain such a strain at some point in the future :)
I figure it will be easier than obtaining a good ergot strain, and that was definitely not complicated.

But I'm even more after the THC yeast :D
The lysergic acid yeast, meh...
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2021 at 16:27

Shouldn't one just anyway keep a separate cultivation setup for the desired yeast and only pick more when needed with clean/sterile equipment? Yeast can also be dried, frozen, etc.

I'm not sure how yeasts are developed. Are they just cultivating countless batches with desired conditions and keep looking if any strains adapt forward desired behavior, and once any improvement is noticed, breeding that strain further so that only the best survive in the more and more harsh environment, until a limit comes up? Like oil and plastic eating yeasts, and so on.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2021 at 20:02

Anyone who got there hands on it would obviously know how to treat it and keep it going. No one is Gunna get there hands on this op8 producing yeast and then go "so I
just Chuck it in a beer fermenter right" . Anyone who got there hands on it is going to know what there doing and will understand the required sterile rooms, equipment and practices needed. This isn't something a janitor could steal and then sell down at the pub.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2021 at 00:09

I've seen various instances when people have gotten their hands on something they have no clue how to handle.

I've been told that I'm a professional and I know what I'm doing just because I have a business registered. Well, not quite. I just know how to register a business.

The difference is, if someone could get something, but could they turn it into something useful. Quite a lot of stuff is useless for most of the people because they have no skillset for utilizing them. A simple chemical synthesis is something that more than 50% would fail even with decent instructions.
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 30-4-2021 at 17:56

https://www.reddit.com/r/DrugNerds/comments/my6q19/complete_...

Without genetic engineering, Biosynthesis only tends to be helpful if you can take advantage of the activity of an enzyme that is already present. Take for example the activity of producing l-PAC from benzaldehyde in yeast. Some others hypothesize that safrole can be produced from Vanillin if fed to some certian species of soil bacteria.

You would need equipment to make a stable cell line expressing the necessary genes and subsequent culture of the yeast. Then you'd need equipment for the scale-up from initial cell line creation to a volume big enough to produce an appreciable amount (so a large bioreactor, or lots of incubators with space for flasks). Then you would need a purification process to extract the morphine from the yeast media and remove everything else. I'm not going to cover that here but it's a whole separate endeavor from MAKING the morphine.

To get past even the first step, you would need:

Space to culture the yeast. An incubator, specifically a 37 DegC one that keeps a certain % of CO2 in the incubator air.Here's an article on how to DIY one for $350. Here's a manufactured one for $1500 on ebay.
A hood to perform sterile work in, so your yeast culture does not become contaminated. Here's one for $1500 on ebay and here's a new HEPA filter for it. You'd need some bleach to decontaminate it when you started, and ethanol to clean it before every use.
General lab equipment (pipettes, centrifuge...) Here's some pipettes. This centrifuge might work. You'd also need some consumables.
Big one: Cell culture media. The yeast needs to grow in a specific solution. You dissolve this stuff in water but then need to sterilize it... which leads to next item.
Autoclave. You need to be able sterilize the flasks you culture with, as well as anything that will directly touch the yeast culture (glass pipettes when replacing culture media, among other things.)Here's a cheap one.
So to total up this shitty list... 1500 + 1500 + 900 + 500 + 160 + 100 = about $5000. Then add in all the money you'd spend on tubes, media, and culture flasks and all the other things I didn't mention.

_oEeMaETXqX-t_WwLQK-mQonu9oQpQK3mM3xscoENiE.jpg - 51kB

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2021 at 03:56

Equipping a decent small lab easily costs $5k. And the guys that would do that morphine thing, will invest 10 times that to get all the stuff, because the expected ROI is so high. Industry gets that 100-fold, because they can provide steady income for years to come. Not to mention that there is evidence that state actors like NK are doing that stuff, so the cost is definitely not an issue, although they might not actually pay to their workers, but instead make to choose between medal of the hero of labor and an isotope of lead.

So, while it's not in the reach of shake-and-bakes, it's definitely not a cost issue for the ones who might be interested. People come from various conditions, and I know people who can merely afford food, the ones ordering $30 GPU:s from Ali, and then I've got friends who tune cars and they don't hesitate another second to throw $30k into some project. I place myself on the middle, I suppose, as using few thousand per year into a hobby that I like very much is a good investment in my view.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top