Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Restoring Forum Images
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 18-5-2015 at 18:25
Restoring Forum Images

I am currently assisting Polverone in restoring forum images which have been lost. Image hosting services have recently been deleting older pictures which seemingly have little or no web traffic. This is causing confusion in many older writeups which rely on detailed pictures of various apparati and diagrams. Since so many threads have been affected, this is a very large task. Any help by members who have saved pictures from old threads, including members who have had picture loss in their own threads, would be greatly appreciated as the location of many of these images is unknown.

To organize the reporting of threads, I have created a Google Docs spreadsheet to record the status of various posts. The easiest way to keep track of posts is by PID and TID. The location of the Google Docs spreadsheet is here, it is read only though. Please check this spreadsheet before reporting a thread to prevent my inbox from filling up due to double reporting. To report a thread, send me a U2U with the TID of the thread, page number of the post, and the PID of the post. Please do not report anything in this thread so as to avoid clogging it.

If you have pictures that have not yet been recovered, either on a thread that has been reported or one that has not yet been reported, send me a U2U and I will send you instructions on how to properly upload a document to the Google Docs account.

Note, the TID of a thread can be found by looking in the url for the text "?tid=xxxxxx" and the PID of a post can be found by clicking the date and time posted and finding the text "#pidxxxxxx".

Once again, thanks in advance for any assistance.

gdflp
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 22-5-2015 at 14:27

Does anyone happen to still be in contact with Engager, or at least know where I can contact him? If anyone has saved any of his photos from his posts, including several writeups in Prepublication, please let me know as I haven't been able to find any other place which they were stored or hosted in.

Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 10:56

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
Does anyone happen to still be in contact with Engager, or at least know where I can contact him? If anyone has saved any of his photos from his posts, including several writeups in Prepublication, please let me know as I haven't been able to find any other place which they were stored or hosted in.

Try Moscow....everybody knows everybody there ;) :D

Author: Engager (engager6@mail.ru, ICQ 194-993-149)

from bottom of page on prepublication doc linked below

http://sciencemadness.org/scipics/Energetic_Derivatives_Of_T...

I don't know if the e-mail or ICQ is still good, that was posted on 2-22-2009

Engager posted those same contacts years ago
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14342&...

The last active log in by Engager shows a year ago
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/member.php?action=viewpro...

Come on back, Engager :D

Until then....in the attached files are some but not all of the lost images from the tetrazole thread, but unfortunately they are embedded in the pdf and I don't have time to export the files. So this will have to be someone else's task.

I think I have other stuff saved also from prepublication and will look for that too.

Attachment: [1] from Sciencemadness Tetrazole thread.pdf (318kB)
This file has been downloaded 675 times

Attachment: [2] from Sciencemadness Tetrazole thread-2.pdf (1.4MB)
This file has been downloaded 1041 times

Attachment: [3] from Sciencemadness Tetrazole thread-3.pdf (745kB)
This file has been downloaded 581 times

[Edited on 9/6/2015 by Rosco Bodine]
gdflp
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 12:01

Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  

Try Moscow....everybody knows everybody there ;) :D

Author: Engager (engager6@mail.ru, ICQ 194-993-149)

from bottom of page on prepublication doc linked below

http://sciencemadness.org/scipics/Energetic_Derivatives_Of_T...

I don't know if the e-mail or ICQ is still good, that was posted on 2-22-2009

Engager posted those same contacts years ago
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14342&...

Thanks, I think I already tried that e-mail, but I'll look again.

Until then....in the attached files are some but not all of the lost images from the tetrazole thread, but unfortunately they are embedded in the pdf and I don't have time to export the files. So this will have to be someone else's task.

I think I have other stuff saved also from prepublication and will look for that too.

Thanks for that, it only takes me a couple seconds to rip the images from the pdf, so that's not a problem. The images I have been able to recover have not gone live yet, but I will add these to the list so they will be up at the same time as the rest.

The only issue with those issues is that they are so small, the resolution isn't great. Here's an example of what an image will look like :

[Edited on 9-7-2015 by gdflp]

[2] from Sciencemadness Tetrazole thread-2_Page_01_Image_0001(1).jpg - 61kB

gdflp
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 13:22

To organize the reporting of threads, I have created a Google Docs spreadsheet to record the status of various posts. The easiest way to keep track of posts is by PID and TID. The location of the Google Docs spreadsheet is here, it is read only though. Please check this spreadsheet before reporting a thread to prevent my inbox from filling up due to double reporting. To report a thread, send me a U2U with the TID of the thread, page number of the post, and the PID of the post. Please do not report anything in this thread so as to avoid clogging it.

Reporting threads is no longer necessary. I have developed scripts that have automatically compiled a list of the posts which have broken and/or externally hosted images. Currently the number of posts which fit this category is 4,198. Of that, 2,826 of them have images which are currently located on my hard drive. That leaves nearly 1,400 posts which are missing images, some are missing more than one. See the two attached text files for the URL's of all of the missing images if anyone is interested.

If you have pictures that have not yet been recovered, either on a thread that has been reported or one that has not yet been reported, send me a U2U and I will send you instructions on how to properly upload a document to the Google Docs account.

This is still very important though. If you have any images that are currently missing from the forum, let me know! ImageShack originally told me that they had local backups, but when I sent them the URL's, they told me that their backups are gone and the images are unrecoverable through them.

Attachment: URL.txt (67kB)
This file has been downloaded 585 times

Attachment: Broken Images.txt (116kB)
This file has been downloaded 1271 times

Joeychemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sedated

[*] posted on 15-9-2015 at 11:30

Come on back, Engager :D

I was looking through some old U2U's and found his skype "engager84". I don't know if it's valid anymore either... If you guys need I have his full name as well but won't post it here.

Go To Top