Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Beginner Experiments
qaxaq
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-5-2015 at 17:14
Beginner Experiments

New here..
Friend got me into this and I'm ready to make "babby's first experiment"
What do you guys suggest? I do have some history with chemisty and know where to get anything I need just have no idea what to make :D

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 25-5-2015 at 17:48

Wow. Really, take your pick. It depends on what you are interested in.
Well, interest and available lab space and experience and available chemicals and the quantity of money you want to invest and the amount of time you have available and who you will be sharing your lab space with and the scale at which you wish to work and the amount of storage space you have and the legal status of certain reagents and equipment in your location and the extent to which home chemistry is understood and probably a few other factors as well.

Welcome to SM. I suggest you begin with a search. Heaps of people have asked similar beginner questions and been given good answers. You job will be to find out what is likely to be a good match for you and to come back with a more specific question.
Many people here have cut their teeth by preparing a range of interesting copper salts. It is as good a start as any. You might try searching on that.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 26-5-2015 at 12:04

Vinegar.
Baking soda.

Mix.

diggafromdover
Hazard to Self

Mood: Inconherent

[*] posted on 26-5-2015 at 12:16

Glycerine
Potassium Permanganate
Go outside
Mix
Step Back

By which I do mean step back. You get flames, smoke and a wee bit of spattering. What remains is a black mass with purple aspects which stains just about everything.

It is a classic example of oxidation and a reminder that permanganate does not always play nicely with organics.

Should you decide to do this, keep the quantities down around a tsp each. As you scale up, Step Back will become Run and hire a lawyer.

[Edited on 27-5-2015 by diggafromdover]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 26-5-2015 at 12:25

Step back or Run Away ?

Best be specific with instructions.

@qaxaq to avoid a free-for all of random suggestions, is there any particular thing you're interested in ?

qaxaq
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-5-2015 at 13:32

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Step back or Run Away ?

@qaxaq to avoid a free-for all of random suggestions, is there any particular thing you're interested in ?

I'm not too worried about the price of things or safety as such, (of course still taking safety into account but I'm not afraid to try something dangerous and even prefer it) but something simple is preferred with minimal professional equipment required , I hear copper chemistry is a very good place to start, but I'm looking for substances that have some "danger" to them but still a beginner thing to make... I'm not sure I'll let you guys decide, obviously I'm not too sharp on my current knowledge but perhaps you could even recommend a few books to gain a little more general knowledge. Or just synthesising the "essentials" for use in making more and better chemical compounds.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 26-5-2015 at 13:41

Look up CHRIS25's thread on Aluminium Sulphate.

(use google. type site:sciencemadness.org aluminium sulphate)

When you first look at it, it is easy.

Then when you TRY it, it is not so easy.

After that, many chemical reactions seem easy (to get what you expect) !

blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-5-2015 at 15:50

When you first look at it, it is easy.

Then when you TRY it, it is not so easy.

That's what I thought when I was makin' that PuF<sub>4</sub>!

gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

Mood: Vivified!

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 06:29

I started with the simple ammonia and hydrochloric acid reaction. Simple safe and has a near reaction. It's also a good reminder that even fumes and react

I just made you read this very pointless signature. How does it feel?
binbin
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 07:51

Quote: Originally posted by qaxaq  
Step back or Run Away ?

I'm not too worried about the price of things or safety as such, (of course still taking safety into account but I'm not afraid to try something dangerous and even prefer it) but something simple is preferred with minimal professional equipment required , I hear copper chemistry is a very good place to start, but I'm looking for substances that have some "danger" to them but still a beginner thing to make... I'm not sure I'll let you guys decide, obviously I'm not too sharp on my current knowledge but perhaps you could even recommend a few books to gain a little more general knowledge. Or just synthesising the "essentials" for use in making more and better chemical compounds.

If you like a bit of a challenge and have the electrical know how (modifying computer power supplies), then making a potassium chlorate cell is fun and will teach you a lot about method and efficiencies of methods/ph, etc. You will learn quickly that fumes can escape even the smallest of holes and how corrosive salt mists can be to everything around it. A successful cell will create some nice potassium chlorate, which is an extremely powerful oxidizer which most consider "dangerous", and can be used in pyrotechnics with a bit of sugar mix and will allow you to do some other fun and interesting experiments. Most of the danger comes from it's ability for combustion and react spontaneously with sulphates if you aren't careful - it's not that toxic to the body but you certainly don't want to eat it. You will also learn how to scrub and neutralize the mist and chlorine gas. If you get a wiff of the gas you will quickly learn how irritating it can be as well.. a good lesson since this cell doesn't make a ton of chlorine gas - just enough to demonstrate that you should always control and scrub gases, and also invest in a respirator that can protect you from gases/vapours.

There are tons of instructions on this forum and youtube on how to build a successful cell. Woelon is the guide I always go back to: http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/miniature_ch...

Depending on your level of chemistry knowledge, a good book is "Organic Chemistry" ISBN: 9780470401415 by T. W. Graham Solomons. If you don't have basic chemistry knowledge, this book might be a bit much for the beginner.. but take it slow and it will start to all make sense.

Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: I'm just a home chemist studying like you. If someone with more knowledge sees something wrong with what I've said, please correct me.

[Edited on 3-6-2015 by binbin]

Go To Top