Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8
Author: Subject: It finally happened, the police showed up
diggit
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-5-2017 at 04:05

I had two cops show up about 7 or 8 years ago - claimed a child had called 911 on a cell phone that was traced to my house, ROFL! The funny bit was that I was incapacitated, at the time, and I told them that I wasn't able to get up and down the stairs to the basement for over a month so, if there was a child in the house, he/she would have to be in the basement and told them that maybe they better check because halfway down the stairs there's a door that opens to the outside but the idea of checking seemed to frighten them.

It never occurred to me that it may have been because of something I'd ordered online - which totally makes sense now. I knew it was faked but I thought maybe someone at work got concerned and didn't want to let on about it and wanted someone to check on me but, of course, all they would have had to do was call and I'd been in constant contact as someone was always calling with questions, so that never really made sense.
symboom
National Hazard

Mood: Feeling Ascaridole

[*] posted on 19-5-2017 at 14:00

Fbi agent visited me because what I ordered online this is one of the few hobbies that will cause one problems. sure I understand the fbi point of view at least I got to have the fbi admit that the investigation is demeaning still surprised I snapped at them I probably should have had an attorney to represent me. It makes one feel like a criminal for knowing chemistry. I guess my user rank of national hazard lived up to its name although im not as skilled as many of you. In some odd way it was flattering I dont consider myself that smart. This will probably be taken out of context hopefully not :-(.
Help with many of you is they have a paper of purchases you have made through a bank card and ask you what you bought it for what did you do with it.

[Edited on 19-5-2017 by symboom]

[Edited on 19-5-2017 by symboom]
JJay
International Hazard

Mood: joyous

[*] posted on 19-5-2017 at 18:07

I know gun collecting can get you visits from the ATF, especially if you sell a lot of guns. You're permitted to sell your personal guns or guns that you acquired through incidental means without a license, but the penalties for running a gun business without a license are severe, and the lines can be blurry at times. I sold a bunch of guns acquired through a defaulted storage unit a while back, and I do remember that a well-dressed gentleman who didn't buy anything showed up at 8:00 AM sharp and asked a lot of questions.

Ordinarily, law enforcement doesn't know what chemicals and equipment you bought unless you bought them at a public auction (like anywhere on eBay, for example), if you brought them through customs, or if they receive a report on the sale or shipment due to paperwork requirements. Also, they can monitor shipping declarations on USPS and probably other carriers. It is highly unlikely that sellers report sales of chemicals that they have already sold unless the law requires it; if a seller thinks you're suspicious, it is not lawful to sell you the chemicals. But if they refuse to sell you the chemicals on grounds of suspicion, it's a completely different story. They can and likely do report suspicious attempts to law enforcement.

[Edited on 20-5-2017 by JJay]

j_sum1
International Hazard

Mood: inert even with vigorous stirring.

[*] posted on 10-9-2017 at 20:08
Police check on a school order

It looks as though there is a slight change in procedure in Aus -- or at least in QLD.

I recently made a glassware order for my school from a contact in China -- the same one that I have previously used. The shipping address was the school premises (although payment was made via a personal PayPal account since my school does not have an account.)

The package was intercepted by xray at customs and flagged since it included two 500mL flasks and a small Allihn condenser. The school received an email from the police with a request to confirm that these items had been ordered and were for legitimate use. Copies of this email were to be sent to two separate police addresses.

This has not happened before and it looks like a new policy. I don't mind the checks but I would have thought that a high school would be able to do its thing without additional investigation.
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8

Go To Top