Printable Version  
Author: Subject: doubt about benzene
double_bond
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-7-2006 at 04:21
doubt about benzene

hi

I studied that benzene is an unsaturated compound, but one of my collegue says that it is saturated and it gives a negative test for unsaturation ie..bromine water test(Bayers test) and oxidation test using KMnO4 . He says that benzene is a saturated hydrocarbon, and benzoic acid is saturated carboxylic acid? who is right me or my friend? please clear my doubt:o
Endo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Cold

[*] posted on 18-7-2006 at 05:13

Double,

I suggest you just break out your chemistry book and look up aromatic compounds[benzene]. Or, you could just use any of hundreds of tools available to you and look up its structure. (saturated compounds have no double bonds). I really don't think you need to bother us to find this answer.
Flip
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2006 at 05:15

Hey there. So of course you are correct, aromacity is considered unsaturation. The biggest thing that could mess some people up when considering this test on benzene is that aromatic rings are much less reactive than alkenes/ alkynes are. Throw in some free radical and ionic substitutions that can discharge the bromine color and the casual observer could have a fair probability of a false negative. These aren't what I would use on aromatic compounds though, a Friedel-Crafts test would work and you'd get to do a nifty reaction.
Nick F
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2006 at 05:16

It is unsaturated, but aromatic. This aromaticity stabilises the molecule by ~150 kJmol-1, which accounts for fact that benzene does not behave as a "normal" unsaturated compound.
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 18-7-2006 at 05:34

As Flip said, when you do a Friedel-Crafts Alkylation (eg. C6H6 + Cl2 -AlCl3-> C6H5Cl + HCl) it could only work if the molecule is unsaturated. And Hey presto! it works :) Tell your collegue that :)

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash

Go To Top