Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Preparation of calcium chlorate with chlorine gas and Ca(OH)2.
Kagutsuchi
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 21-6-2015 at 15:42
Preparation of calcium chlorate with chlorine gas and Ca(OH)2.

My question would be the following: Did anyone try making calcium chlorate bubbling Cl2 gas through water that contained Ca(OH)2? I would not say a Ca(OH)2 solution for known reasons but it should work with solid hydroxide on the bottom as well.
If anyone has done it this way, I would be happy to be told about their experiences with the process.
Also, I'd like to know if Ca(ClO3)2 could be used in flash powders like KClO3 or it has to be made into KClO3 first.
Thanks in advance for the replies :)
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-6-2015 at 15:49

Not good in pyro mixtures. Very hygroscopic.
blargish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Mode Push

[*] posted on 21-6-2015 at 15:52

I would anticipate that you would have trouble with efficiently separating the calcium chlorate from the calcium chloride also produced in the reaction. However, if your desired end goal is potassium chlorate, you could add potassium chloride to the mix and be able to isolate and crystallize out the sufficiently less soluble potassium chlorate. A guy named NileRed has a comprehensive youtube video of this process, although I believe he suffered from relatively low yields.

Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLeWtkmorFI

BLaRgISH
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 21-6-2015 at 19:51

That guy's been busy. It's good that he eventually (too late though) realized that it's kind of stupid to not buy the bags of pool HTH, which like lime and KCl are sold in like all hardware stores in this country, and has multiple uses.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Kagutsuchi
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-6-2015 at 00:51

I think I'll try to add some (roughly stochiometric amount of) H2SO4 and that will form HClO3 and CaSO4. Then I could simply pour the HClO3 on any hidroxide to form a chlorate. My goal is not only KClO3, rather 'experinenting with chlorates to gain experience' :)
blargish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Mode Push

[*] posted on 22-6-2015 at 09:54

Your HClO3 would be contaminated with HCl since chloride is also produced in the reaction.

BLaRgISH
Kagutsuchi
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-6-2015 at 09:58

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Does anyone know anything about NaOCl reacting with HClO3? Because if they don't react, I could purify the chloric acid from the contamination with some household bleach.
Or maybe a non-soluble chlorate could be formed, while the chloride is soluble in water, then the chlorate would precipitate.

[Edited on 22-6-2015 by Kagutsuchi]

Go To Top