Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Rock Molester's Club
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 26-7-2015 at 21:14

An AAS would be cool. Maybe Magpie could build one. :D
In the meantime, I am happy with wet chemistry.
And for the surprise of the day... Gadolinite contains no gadolinium.

I will happily do some work on the rock around here. Up on Australia's Great Dividing Range -- which is old volcanic. It is all that classic aussie red rock colour from the high iron content. (Soils in the area are classified as ferrosols.) It is quite ferromagnetic. I discovered this when I dropped a magnet in the back yard and it came up covered in fine dust. Further investigation revealed that magnetic separation and concentration of the iron compounds would not work. In the sample I worked with (which was devoid of organic material), all of the fine soil particles were slightly attracted to a magnet.

I had a student last year attempt to isolate the iron with a thermite reaction but he had little success. It seems that there is quite a bit of Si and Al in there that wouldn't budge. This all probably means that I am starting off with what might be one of the more difficult materials but we will see how that goes. I have some finely divided soil from the last bit of excavation done around here. I can also chip off a piece of the ancient lava flow that goes through the school. Results posted when I get them. I am however expecting problems with the digestion/leaching process.
Oscilllator
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-7-2015 at 22:47

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I will happily do some work on the rock around here. Up on Australia's Great Dividing Range -- which is old volcanic.

I live near the great dividing range (the blue mountains, to be precise) and it has always seemed to me that it was mostly sandstone. There is also a band of coal that runs under pretty much the entire blue mountain area, and there are a bunch of coal mines on the western side. I even had the opportunity once to do work experience in an underground one - one of the guys let me operate a continuous miner :cool:

[Edited on 27-7-2015 by Oscilllator]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 26-7-2015 at 23:11

Ok. I am in QLD.
As I understand it the GDR is a volcanic hot spot that cooled down as the crust drifted over it. There are a string of volcanoes up north (Glasshouse mountains, Mt Warning etc) slowly becoming less dramatic as you progress south. I think it is a mistake to consider the range in terms of one kind of geology. But I believe its linearity is not accidental.

Diddi will undoubtedly be along later to correct me or fill in some more details.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2015 at 05:40

Quote: Originally posted by diddi  
whose got a mass spec or AAS handy for all this?

XRF! :cool:

Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 27-7-2015 at 08:05

The rocks around where I live are primarily very white, pure limestone with little streaks of iron oxide running through it, giving it a mottled white and orange look.Occasionally there is some that looks more gray, but this seems to just be from a film of organic matter on the surface, as when broken they still have the characteristic white and orange look. I dissolved some in HCl about a year and a half ago, and the white carbonate part dissolved completely leaving behind most of the orange iron oxide. The solution was only slightly yellow, and boiling it down to dryness yielded off-white crystals of partially hydrated calcium chloride that worked pretty well for deicing my sidewalk (not needed during most of the year, but it was January).

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 27-7-2015 at 08:15

Surely the iron oxide would react to form FeCl2 ?

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2015 at 08:41

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Surely the iron oxide would react to form FeCl2 ?

Red iron oxide is ferric oxide and dissolves to FeCl<sub>3</sub>. But very old ferric oxide can be remarkably inert (not responsive to dilute acids).

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 27-7-2015 at 08:43

Really ?!?!

What is it about the Age that prevents it reacting ?

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2015 at 09:04

Test it yourself. Prepare some fresh Fe(OH)3, filter and wash. Then 'age' it. As it ages and becomes drier it dissolves in acids less and less easily. That mineral stuff is millions (?) of years old.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 28-7-2015 at 14:06

Heat. I bet it gets all jiggy when woken up with some heat.

Edit:

One way to find out ...

Wouyld some old rust (maybe 9 years old) be a candidate for 'old ' ?

[Edited on 28-7-2015 by aga]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-7-2015 at 14:18

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Heat. I bet it gets all jiggy when woken up with some heat.

Maybe, sometimes, also, too. I have some pottery grade Fe2O3 that doesn't dissolve in BOILING 98 % H2SO4. No dissolution whatsoever<sup>*</sup>. It all depends on the overall thermal history of the oxide vis a vis how it will react with acids/bases.

* But it makes great thermite! :cool:

[Edited on 28-7-2015 by blogfast25]

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 28-7-2015 at 14:24

Thermoperv.

So what is the mechanism by which the iron oxide looses interest in acids ?

Surely this has been investigated, studied and is well understood.

Are we going Quantum Iron now (QI) ?

Panic ! This has a horrible Groundhog Day feel to it.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-7-2015 at 15:26

Freshly precipitated Fe(OH)3 is really mostly water. That structure is very reactive to dilute acids.

As the product dries already it loses water and slowly converts to Fe2O3, already a lot less reactive to acids.

Calcining further removes water and tightens crystalline structure more, rendering it even less responsive to acids.

diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 28-7-2015 at 17:33

re the iron: zts was looking at iron in sand recently here http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62710#...
the point here is that iron is everywhere and secondly that HCl strips it out. Also he is left with SiO2 unreacted.

Beginning construction of periodic table display
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-7-2015 at 17:53

Quote: Originally posted by diddi  

the point here is that iron is everywhere and secondly that HCl strips it out. Also he is left with SiO2 unreacted.

It did in that case (sand) but I can assure you that HCl doesn't always 'strip' iron out of minerals, at least not without some prior treatment. I suggest you try and dissolve a piece of mineral Hematite in HCl and report back to me on how well that went! :D

Many iron bearing minerals don't respond to HCl at all. Don't oversimplify by extrapolating from zts's particular experiment.

[Edited on 29-7-2015 by blogfast25]

Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 28-7-2015 at 18:32

Yep, I was actually rather surprised at how well it sucked the iron out of that sand, given how the deposits in the limestone that I dissolved barely reacted. I supoose it's due to a variety of factors including particle size, amount of time given to react, and the nature of the iron mineral. The sand was soaked over the course of a day and a half, which was a lot more time than the limestone spent in the HCl, and it was of course present as much smaller particles in the sand for the most part.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 09:02

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Calcining further removes water and tightens crystalline structure more, rendering it even less responsive to acids.

Now there's an interesting thought, from an Energy perspective.

Fe2O3 in a crystal matrix 'tightening'.

Would it be that the matrix looses impurities, like water, and becomes more 'itself' thather than an impure version, or would it be that the bond lengths decrease/become more geometrically and electronically stable ?

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 09:56

"Friends don't let friends extrapolate" (Our school's stats teacher)
"But I love extrapolation..."
Stats is the voodoo of mathematics.
Anyways, I've got a sizable collection of those things earthy, and am going to southern Indiana this following week, which is where I like to go rock-hunting. I've only ever attempted to digest a few rocks, but I enjoy the chemistry related to it. It would be interesting (for me, at least) to chart up what color precipitates are made of different ratios of different ions when the ferricyanide and ferrocyanide indicators are used. I like them solely because I own about 20g of both.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 10:28

I like them cos the colours are pretty, tell you something about the composition, and always work as expected !

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 11:16

Fluorite's two distinct colour variations:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fluorite&rls=com.micro...

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 12:54

Beautiful !

Dissolve them in acid at once.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 14:20
A bit of rock molesting

Samples A and C (see above) are basically the same, with A having a lot more silicate material, so sample A was discarded.

Added are samples D and E from the quarry (used to be a cement factory nearby) pictured above.
These are likely the same material too - they just looked different in situ.

3 portions of ~20g of each sample were put in 3 plastic 100ml pots (these are sold here for disposable party drinks very cheaply).

The sample pots were respectively treated with equal portions of approx 10% HCl Solution, ~48% H2SO4 solution and Distilled water.

The intention was to leave the samples to react for 24 hours. As usual, Life got in the way and they have been left for several days.

Here is what they looked like after being left to react.

all.JPG - 160kB

The Top row is samples B,C,D,E in HCl solution.
Middle is with sulphuric acid.
Bottom row is with water which shows the rock samples more-or-less as they were found.

The liquor (or lixiviate - love that word) from each HCl dissolved sample was tested for iron using Ammonium Thiocyanate solution.

HCl+AMTCN.JPG - 173kB

Suprisingly samples D and E showed NO iron cations !

Sample C is so heavy with iron that the test went 'blood red' as described in the textbooks.

Next the lixiviate of each H2SO4 sample was tested for Fe<sup>3+</sup> in the same way.

H2SO4+AMTCN.JPG - 173kB

Suspicious of the positive results in samples D and E, a sample of the acid used was also tested as a control.

The photo may not show it well, but there is a very very faint red tinge to the control sample (right hand side test tube) indicating some traces of iron.

Notwithstanding, samples D and E have more Fe<sup>3+</sup> as evidenced by the more pronounced colour.

The Water samples were tested, and none showed any sign of iron in this test.

Next a 6 [M] solution of NaOH was prepared by dissolving 12g of NaOH in 50ml of water.

For the following, each sample was taken with a clean plastic dropper-pipette, and 3 drops of each lixiviate was taken and added to a test tube.

The pipette was washed 3 times with 1.5ml clean DIW with the wash water added to the test tube, making approximately 5ml of dilute solution in the test tube.

Drops of the 6 [M] NaOH solution were added until the solution showed as Basic with a universal pH test paper.

HCl lixiviate test results :

HCl+NaOH.JPG - 158kB

Sample B has a definite solid white powdery precipitate.
C has an indistinct Brown precipitate distributed throughout the liquid.
D and E (probably the same material) have a gelatinous white suspension.

The same test was performed on the Water samples, and no reaction was seen.

H2SO4 lixiviate with NaOH test results :

H2SO4+NaOH.JPG - 160kB

The results are similar to the HCl results, although sample B shows no reaction at all and Sample C has a very different character to the precipitate.

H2SO4+NaOH-close.JPG - 128kB

A surpring test was the pH of the resulting HCl solutions.

Samples D and E consumed ALL of the acid !

HClpH.JPG - 158kB

Not pictured are the tests with BaCl2 solution which showed no white precipitate with the HCl or Water portions, and as a control, immediately showed a white precipitate with the H2SO4 solutions.

If i were a Proper Chemist, i would be able to work something out from all this.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 15:13

aga:

The slightly surprising results here are the white precipitates (after NaOH), almost certainly a metal hydroxide and likely to be Al(OH)3 (it certainly looks like hydrated alumina).

If Al(OH)3 it will dissolve in an excess of NaOH but not in strong NH3. To test this properly filter, wash and collect filter cake. Then subject to 6 M NaOH and NH3 (aq).

During the acid treatments, did you see any CO<sub>2</sub> evolve?

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 15:38

Gas was evolved in all samples, all acids.

Most vigorous with HCl, tested +ve for CO2.

I would go get the notes, but there's a snake in the shed again at the moment.

When they're happy and at ease they move slowly.

If Startled, they could easily smash up my glassware.

Usually they are gone in the morning.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 15:44

CO<sub>2</sub> means most likely CaCO3 and/or MgCO3. It also means your HCl lixiviates contain Ca<sup>2+</sup> and/or Mg<sup>2+</sup>.

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top