Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: On mass production
Conor579
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 02:16
On mass production

If I have a reaction that is: A--->B via a reduction/hydrogenation method, how could I work it up from the lab to a full scale mass production? Just asking.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
7-8-2015 at 02:22
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 03:32

Two options, lots of small reactions with lots of people running them simultaneously (assembly line style) or much larger 'pots and pans'. I.e., 50, 100, 200 gallon hydrogenators and appropriately sized equipment for the workup. Essentially, if you are going to scale it you need something bigger or something more. That's about all I can say from what you have provided.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 07:22

Vague questions are unlikely to receive useful answers. Provide more details on your specific reaction and planned quantities. A scale up could be as simple as "Get a bigger pot" or as tricky as "Prone to thermal runaway and explosion above X liters".
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 11:06

A--->B is really hard to scale up.

Only works where xA = yB where x < y < 5 and best when y=2.71 to 2.73 and the pot is made of weasel bones.

Now if you could find a route to B where you need no A, then just finding more B is a perfect way to scale up, and removes this limitation.

Seriously, how do you expect to get any kind of useful answer when you've given next to no details ?

Edit:

OMG.
You have done it.
Your post contains less of anything than any post before, and i bet you're not even drunk.

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by aga]

diggafromdover
Hazard to Self

Mood: Inconherent

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 11:27

A third option, much loved in industry, is the continuous flow reaction where reactants enter but only products emerge.

Enjoying second childhood with REAL chemistry set.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 11:53

Sounds like Mad Max: Thunderdome.

Conor579
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 14:44

Alright, well, I specifically want to scale it up with regards to it not exploding above a certain volume, presumably 100 gallons lets say.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 15:12

To scale something up, use more.

Next question.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 15:20

"Only works where xA = yB where x < y < 5 and best when y=2.71 to 2.73 and the pot is made of weasel bones"

ROTFL! Fricking great answer!

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 15:33

One thing my lab is lacking is a weasel bone crucible.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 15:34

Wiki says hydrogenation is an exothermic reaction. Assuming you have a 100 gallon batch:

1. Look-up the heat of hydrogenation per mole of your substrate (eg, vegetable oil).
2. Look-up the heat capacity of your substrate and your product.
3. Calculate the temperature rise of your substrate and product assuming no heat transfer.

This should be an upper bound for the temperature and give an indication on whether your vessel needs to be cooled or not. Cooling options would include an internal coil and/or a cooling jacket. I'm assuming you will have adequate mixing during the reaction and be introducing the hydrogen as fast as it is consumed.

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by Magpie]

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Conor579
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 16:18

Alright. Looks like I wasn't specific enough. I SPECIFICALLY want to see what I could do to mass produce, from hydrogenating an alcohol (say isopropyl alcohol) to an alkane (propane) through a reaction that would go as A (alcohol) ----> B (alkane) and see what viable option there was IF I had a container that was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 L and see where to go from there on scaling it up.
battoussai114
Hazard to Others

Mood: Not bad.... Not bad.

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 18:36

People take a 5 year degree of Chem. E. to know on how to design a mass production plant, scaling something up is not as trivial as it seems, while it seems it would be simple: make the reactor x times bigger if you want x times more product. But things get hectic really fast.
For starters once you have a big reaction chamber you'll have problems on how to add/remove heat without impairing your results as you will have a huge temperature gradient if your system is big, you will also have to consider how to mix your reactants as you probably can't assume the distribution of your reagents as uniform anymore, not without continuous stirring, and if you have continuous stirring you have to deal with possible turbulence in the fluid, which means you'll need to consider the rheology of your reaction mixture and regulate speed and add baffles to the reactor accordingly. And so on and so forth.
I'd say you should look on some resources on reactor design or look around for books or classes on Chemical Reaction Engineering, here at the university they tend to use the book by Levenspiel, and you might find online classes on MIT OpenCourseware or another similar platform.
Conor579
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 19:23

Thanks. I'll look through it. I like your response btw Battoussai114 :D
Conor579
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-8-2015 at 18:28

Hey Battoussai114, in a CSTR, can the volume be measured in liters? Along with the rate of consumption being in moles per liter second?

Go To Top