Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reductive Amination
Conor579
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-8-2015 at 12:38
Reductive Amination

Here's a question: Does Reductive Amination with a 30% Pd/C catalyst work BETTER or WORSE than that of something of the likes of Platinum black OR any other Platinum OR Palladium catalyst? I've read in some sources that platinum catalysts works REALLY good for Reductive Amination as opposed to the likes of Raney Nickel. I'm just wondering if substituting it with 30% Pd/C would be a good idea.
dermolotov
Hazard to Others

Mood: Free

[*] posted on 13-8-2015 at 13:06

I believe raney nickel is used only because of its price on the industrial level. I have never even seen Raney Nickel in the academic field (possibly for the reason I gave above). Better or worse, it's certainly cheaper in the industrial scale.

Also, why are you using 30% Pd/C? I'd imagine that stuff to be quite expensive as compared to 5 or 10% Pd/C which works for most intensive intents and purposes.
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2015 at 18:21

Actually, Raney Nickel has been used quite often in academic chemistry. It is particularly useful for the splitting of N-O and N-N bonds in some heterocyles, such as isoxazoles. The catalyst is sometimes the catalyst of choice for certain types of reductive aminations, particularly when a Pd catalyst may lead to unwanted side reactions. It also is used for ripping sulfur out of molecules. Perhaps your experience with these types of reactions is somewhat limited.

AvB
Conor579
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-8-2015 at 18:41

Well, first off, I am using 30% Pd/C since I THINK it can work a lot more effectively than the regular 5-10% Pd/C along with the fact that I think it can be cheaply made from recycling computer capacitors that contain Palladium. ALSO another question, what SPECIFIC side reactions happen with using Pd/C catalysts? I would like to know that also.
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2015 at 18:58

First, 30% Pd/C will pose a real fire safety hazard, particularly if you use alcohol solvents. Second, why use so much Pd when it is very well established that 5 - 10% Pd/C works remarkably well. Third, before you start fooling with this stuff, you should do a bit of literature work on Pd hydrogenation reactions and safety concerns. Start with Google and go from there. There are also good reference books on the subject which can be obtained relatively cheaply on sites like ABE books. Also, check out a good advanced organic chemistry text like March.

AvB
Conor579
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-8-2015 at 19:50

Alright. Thanks. I have 3000 solved problems in Organic Chemistry also.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
18-8-2015 at 05:46

Go To Top