Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Just a heads up for conc nitric acid in UK
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 26-8-2015 at 09:47
Just a heads up for conc nitric acid in UK

Hi,
I was wandering around Amazon UK and came accross a private seller of conc nitric acid! No questions asked and seems absolutely oblivious of the rules!
I checked the bottle label on the picture and it looks like it comes from a good school supply company. Anyway seeing as its really hard to get in UK and ebay seem to have stopped selling it here is the link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005F3B63C?keywords=nitri...

and for double quantity

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005F3D3KQ?keywords=nitri...

I didnt order any as I have no money, but it looks like he got good reviews and dosnt have many left. Hope it helps someone

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 26-8-2015 at 11:04

I know this seller. He also has been a seller on eBay in the past, but at a certain moment in time his listings were ripped off eBay. He sells good quality chemicals for decent prices. Unfortunately he does not ship outside of the UK anymore, in the past he did.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-8-2015 at 12:03

I doubt he is going to last long on amazon the way things are in the uk, but its a great source while it lasts

Marvin
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-8-2015 at 02:31

Right now if you distil your own you are legal. If you buy from him and he doesn't check you have a licence you are both breaking the law.

Don't do the dumb thing.
kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-8-2015 at 02:54

Damn it feels good to live in an ex-communist country.Living in the EU and get regulations for chemicals.And nobody gives a ----.
Also,it is illegal to buy restricted chemicals without a license.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-8-2015 at 09:24

Well I took the plunge!
I wasnt over impressed with packaging and I am not convinced its going to hold the acid in. No seal ring and clear flimsy bottle. It was packed for shipping really well, except you couldnt tell which way up the bottle was inside in the tube. The bottle was wrapped in bubble wrap then inside strong cardboard tube then sealed with a heat shrink type cellophane.
First problem was the temperature of the bottles when they got here were around 15c, I had to open the cellophane and take the bubble wrapped bottle out of the tube just to see which way up the bottle was!
The moment I opened the shrink wrap up I could smell something a bit funny, I squeezed the bottle and it deformed and reformed easily!! Although I couldnt smell any vapors?? Anyway its currently in an old turned off fridge in an outbuilding and now at around 3c.
There were in fact two bottles as I ordered 1ltr but they only had 500ml bottles so to save time shipped it in two bottles. On the label it states 70% but gives little other info, the liquid is water clear while my other bottle from another supplier (ACP pure) is 69% and slightly discolored (slightly dark color).
Once the bottles were at 3c I opened one outside and I could clearly see a white vapor, the 69% bottle I have dosnt do this? BTW the pic on the web page is just ripped off from another supplier, you dont get the dark hard bottle and its definitely not from the company the picture shows on the label.

So opinions on this acid? I take it that 70% was a guess on there part, but the fuming even at a fairly low temperature would indicate a strong acid? Its the same colour as a bottle of 30% Nitric acid I have but that bottle dosnt fume this even at a higher temp and came from a good well known source on this board. The liquid dosnt appear any thicker than water and like I said is crystal clear. I havnt done anything else yet with it. So any simple ways to test the % (roughly) of this acid?
Comments appreciated.
As to the legal side technically there is a Bio technology LTD Company registered office at this address, so I am covered from that point of view.

[Edited on 28-8-2015 by Little_Ghost_again]

Go To Top