Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Arsenic Safety
SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-8-2015 at 19:19
Arsenic Safety

How do I clean arsenic off of my equipment? Should I just keep everything totally contained in a container and throw it away? (Except for opening it to retrieve the substrate)

I'm looking to use one of the following arsenic sources for MOVPE (metalorganic vapor phase epitaxy)

Arsine AsH3, Gas
Tertiarybutyl arsine (TBAs), Liquid
Monoethyl arsine (MEAs), Liquid
Trimethyl arsine (TMAs), Liquid

....but im afraid of arsenic contamination. It's really preferably a liquid that has nitrogen bubble through it to push vapors onto a solar panel, after that the vapors are vacuumed out of the chamber. I'd really like to avoid contaminating my vacuum pump but that seems impossible. Among phosphine and pyrophoric gases arsenic is the only one Im really worried about

Oh.
SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-8-2015 at 19:29

By "throw it away" i mean either taking it to hazmat disposal or launching it over the castle wall in my trebuchet while orcs hold me under siege nomsayin

Oh.
SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 18:37

apparently it can be cleaned with the amino acid cysteine. As for the MOVPE system there are scrubbers that have been designed for the dangerous gases of phosphine, arsines, etc. I think I will have to use arsenic trioxide for synthesis of trimethylarsine, arsenic being the limiting reactant. It doesn't seem simple to dispose of at all. Normal hazardous waste management doesn't seem to list it. Arsenic trioxide is far more toxic than trichloride and most other kinds, but the end result trimethylarsine is far less toxic than arsine, being the most toxic, or so I've read.

Oh.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 19:01

I have no experience on this (and no real desire to play with As compounds) so I can't offer much.

All I can say is that this topic is a great post/username combo. Mwaa ha ha ha!
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 19:18

Convert the arsenic using zinc and sulfuric acid then burn the gas onto something more disposable (marsh test). Or just clean the glassware outside on a windy day. Aresenic compounds are readily reduced by hydrogen to the gas. Arsenic reputation as a poison is overrated. The main problems are that arsenic is readily absorbed and cumulative. But it generally takes a gram or so to poison someone. It was often used in the past because it was tasteless and undetectable. The marsh test is credited with ending it's use as poison as it greatly increased the sensitivity of existing test and it's use was credible in court where prior test were not due to deterioration of the precipitate.
SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 12:22

Triphenylarsine!!!

I think I've cut out about 90% of the danger here.... instead of putting arsenic trioxide into trimethylaluminum to get trimethylarsine, I can just buy triPHENYLarsine, which is cheap and common, also far less toxic than the trioxide. It's also fully ready for MOCVD so that cuts out an entire synthesis step that involved pyrophoric TMA.

I think i will somehow open its container while it is in its main bubbler. LD50 is 146mg/kg of a rat or mouse, and that's about over 12 grams for me, whereas I'd only be buying about 5 grams for 20 to 30 dollars before shipping.

The only catch is that it's less simplistic and easy to use a solid for MOCVD than a liquid, but the melting point is around 60 degrees C so I doubt it'll be annoying and i'd much rather compensate design and complication for a far more dangerous method.

I found the idea of using triphenylarsine from this patent in the background art sections, it suggests some different precursors to use for certain elements: https://www.google.com/patents/CA1251804A1?cl=en

Oh.
Fluorite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-11-2020 at 13:14

Is Arsenic REALLY toxic?

It was believed that with prolonged consumption of small doses of arsenic, the body develops immunity. This fact has been established for both humans and animals. There are cases when habitual consumers of arsenic immediately took doses several times higher than the lethal dose and remained healthy. Experiments on animals have shown the originality of this habit. It turned out that an animal accustomed to arsenic when consumed quickly dies if a much smaller dose is injected into the blood or under the skin. However, this "addiction" is very limited, in relation to the so-called. "Acute toxicity", and does not protect against neoplasms. However, the effect of microdoses of arsenic-containing drugs as an anti-cancer agent is currently being investigated.

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Мышьяк

IMG_20201113_231610_edit.png - 347kB

Go To Top