Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Removal of Tin from Tinned Copper
toothpick93
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 06:09
Removal of Tin from Tinned Copper

I received quite a lot of COMMS cable (I think) from my work that's getting a make over pretty much so they were just throwing it out, Yay free copper. At closer exception after I had removed the plastic coating I noticed a silver colour instead of your expected Copper colour, I cut some off and done the flame test and sure enough it was a green flame. I done some looking up on it and found it to be Tinned Copper Cable, How do I remove the Tin from the copper? I plan to melt the copper in a furnace but do not want the Tin impurity to be in the copper ingot.

I looked up some ways but none were in-depth, on the forum finishing.com people kept on saying about this method "You might try this: 120 g/l NaOH, make the part anodic at 6 VDC. You can vary the temperature to control the rate, but be aware that if you go too hot the copper might be attacked." but there is no procedure for this that I can find anywhere else. Does anyone else have any experience with this?
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 06:13

If the tin is simply a coating on the wire, and is not alloyed with the copper, then use dilute(~3 - 6M) hydrochloric acid. Tin is readily soluble in hydrochloric acid, but copper is not.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 06:37

Save the Stannous chloride if you use HCl, Tin is worth several times the price of Copper these days-

Why did they tin the Copper? And why is the new cable NOT tinned...

[Edited on 1-9-2015 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 08:32

'Tinned Copper' generally means that it's been run through a solder bath, rather than just Tin.

Depending on it's age, that could have been a 60%/40% Tin/Lead solder composition, so your 'Tin' may contain quite a lot of lead as well.

Go To Top