Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Should/can I break my problem out of this mega-thread?
lysander
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-9-2015 at 11:44
Should/can I break my problem out of this mega-thread?

I've been trying to get this HCN production process to work. My first attempt was moved to this mega-thread, where it's on page 28. Nobody has really responded to the questions and problems I've documented in four subsequent posts. I am wondering if this is because it's part of a mega-thread? Or does it belong in a different subforum -- maybe Organic Chemistry or Beginnings (though not that a "beginner" should be attempting HCN synthesis!)? If so, should I move it (if so, how?), or can a moderator move it as appropriate?
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 15-9-2015 at 13:25

Just start a new thread in the appropriate topic.

You'll get answers (or not) there.

I suspect that talking about Hydrogen Cyanide synthesis is uncomfortable for most sane people.

Even i'd be unwilling to offer any clues (if i knew how) as it will kill you, or your intended victims, or both.

Edit:

What exactly do you wish to do with HCN ?

[Edited on 15-9-2015 by aga]

Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 15-9-2015 at 13:52

In my opinion, those posts belong in the big cyanide thread. It's good to have at least some minor efforts of organization on the forum. I think that your questions have gone unanswered there so far because no one who has any clue has seen them yet. I suggest either being patient and waiting a few more days, maybe bumping the thread if you need to, or sending a U2U to Dan Vizine. He might possibly be the only member who has enough experience with that reaction to help.
lysander
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-9-2015 at 14:33

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
I suspect that talking about Hydrogen Cyanide synthesis is uncomfortable for most sane people.

Even i'd be unwilling to offer any clues (if i knew how) as it will kill you, or your intended victims, or both.

What exactly do you wish to do with HCN?

Yes, fair concerns and questions.

I need cyanides for a metal separation problem I wanted to work on. Since I can't buy cyan salts I was working on synthesizing those. Then I discovered that HCN might offer a potentially easier route to produce the anhydrous cyanides I need. That's debatable, but now I'm just baffled at my inability to reproduce what is a (dangerous, yes, but I'm already working with cyanides, so either I have safe lab practices or I'm dead) relatively simple reaction.

[Edited on 15-9-2015 by lysander]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 15-9-2015 at 14:45

FWIW (which is not much), I have no experience with working with cyanides and no intention of doing so in the foreseeable future. However, I do take note of questions like yours and occasionally read them carefully. If I ever needed to know about the field then a big cyanide thread would be the first pace I would go. Detailed posts such as yours which describe things not going according to plan are particularly valuable. That is the kind of stuff you never find in a textbook or publication. It also helps that these kinds of threads are bumped every now and then and contain an assortment of related issues. Otherwise I might not even be aware of their existence. I do hope that someone can answer your question and add it to the thread. Let's not underestimate the value of the information that is discussed in some of these mega threads.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 15-9-2015 at 14:50

Well, the question is What you wish to synthesise.

HCN may be one route. There could be Other routes.

Name a target compound and let's see if an inexperienced (1 day) OC dabbler can come up with a solution.

Same applies if it's an IOC compund, just i got more days in IOC.

lysander
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-9-2015 at 15:20

I can see the arguments for leaving it in the big thread. I guess if users seeing bumped mega-threads don't tend to discount them because they're so long then I'll just wait and assume I have the best shot with the posts as they presently sit. One advantage of that could be that those threads are maximally subscribed by those with interest and expertise, although I hope email notifications are working for other users because they aren't for me!

@aga: To start I need to run some tests with anhydrous NaCN. I've gotten so hung up on that synthesis that I'd have to dig out my notes to remember where I thought it would go from there. Maybe I'll do that and post the general problem and plan so I can get other thoughts, but the last time I asked on a forum the answer was, "Well, see what these tests do and then you might have a better idea of which way you can go."

[Edited on 16-9-2015 by lysander]
Agari
Banned

Mood: Lowest Oxidation State

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 20:29

https://www.youtube.com/v/K5NuqpdYDhE

By none other than:Myfanwy,the only SM member to die to phosgene poisoning in 2010, RIP.
Toxic,but not as bad as other compounds such as Dimethyl Mercury.

Want a salt? https://www.youtube.com/v/kwGf4LVIb3g
This one results in a mixture of Sodium and Potassium Cyanides,but should be easy to separate,that's as close to anhydrous as I would dare try.

[Edited on 3-11-2015 by Agari]

Go To Top