Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Germanium (IV) Ethoxide Synthesis?
SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 16:48
Germanium (IV) Ethoxide Synthesis?

I can't seem to find anything on the synthesis of germanium (IV) ethoxide, I've looked and looked but found nothing. Also checked synonyms of Germanium tetraethoxide and Tetraethoxygermane. I'd rather not buy it as it is very expensive. Does anybody know anything?

Oh.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 17:20

Approach it the same way as you would synthesize silicon tetraethoxide, react anhydrous ethanol with germanium(IV) chloride.

SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 18:08

THANK YOU - this has been bugging me for a while now

I will start from germanium metal, and chlorinate it, then add the anhydrous ethanol.

[Edited on 18-9-2015 by SupaVillain]

Oh.
crestind
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-9-2015 at 10:25

TO MAKE AN OIL OR QUINTESSENCE OF METALS - John French
Dissolve what metal or mineral you please in a strong spirit of salt (except silver which must be dissolved in aqua fortis). Draw off the phlegm in balneum, pour on rectified spirit of wine, and digest them so long until a red oil swims above which is the quintessence of metals and minerals, and is a very great secret.

:D The 1600's explanation for making ethoxides. Just thought it was funny. Ethoxide = "quintessence" back in the olden days. Not sure why the guy claims the stuff floats though. That's a little odd.

spirit of salt = hydrochloric acid
spirit of wine = usually means ethanol

[Note: Do NOT mix nitrate salts with ethanol unless you have enough ethanol to keep everything in solution, and even then be careful or you might find that your body is in more than one piece.]

[Edited on 28-9-2015 by crestind]
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 28-9-2015 at 12:18

As always when something about Metals and Salts are asked I'd love to quote my favorite Inorganic Book Series, like for the guy who wanted to do some Gallium Chemistry there is of course a Gmelin on Germanium Chemistry, too. I think there are even 4 or 5 of them although I only have one.
So I'll just translate the part for you:

From the Chapter "Germanium and Carbon Compounds"

"[...] Type Ge(OH)4:

All compounds mentioned in the table ( I'll add that one later for you) only the Ester (dunno why they are referring to it as an Ester) Ge(OC2H5)4 is a liquid, the others are all solids. Ge(OC2H5)4 forms when an "alcoholic Solution of Sodium" is added to GeCl4. "

And then the text continues with the other compounds mentioned in that chapter. I'll add the table below (only cut out the important parts so it isn't to long).

Germanium Ethoxide.jpg - 250kB

[Edited on 28-9-2015 by fluorescence]

[Edited on 28-9-2015 by fluorescence]

Go To Top