Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: making nano particle solution with polyphenols
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-9-2015 at 10:03
making nano particle solution with polyphenols

In the experiment in this video the guy makes suspended Iron nano particles simply by mixing polyphenols from green tea with a dissolved solution of an Iron salt.

I wanted to know what other metal salts would this method work with and also could I use this method to make boron nano particles by mixing borax or boric acid with green tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDcZleqvGKA
battoussai114
Hazard to Others

Mood: Not bad.... Not bad.

[*] posted on 20-9-2015 at 05:59

Right now I don't have the article in my hands, but I've read about reduction of copper and some other more noble metals using tea.

Batoussai.
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-9-2015 at 10:46

Quote: Originally posted by battoussai114  
Right now I don't have the article in my hands, but I've read about reduction of copper and some other more noble metals using tea.

Yes I have read it works for gold, they were using this method to produce gold nano particles to target cancer cells.
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-9-2015 at 11:38

As I had some borax and green tea kicking about I mixed a solution of both together and observed no color change unlike the reaction in the vid. Not sure if we would expect a color change in all instances.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-9-2015 at 14:44

The Metals are complexing with the polyphenols in the Tea, and there are some rules that determine what works and what doesn't.

Borax isn't like iron (iii) chloride because the Iron is in the +3 oxidation state and in sodium tetraborate the Boron is in the ...

Oh dear. All fell to bits already. Feck.

Can some proper chemist please explain what not-happens with borax and green tea, please.

Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 21-9-2015 at 07:34

You simply don't have a reductant in tea with a sufficiently high reducing potential to touch borax. The metal salt examples of things that will produce reduced products all have modest positive reduction potentials. Just look all a table of standard electrode potentials.

If you had produced boron, it would be grey-black (and also impossible, since you can't do it in an aqueous solution because the hydrogen in the water would be reduced first).

[Edited on 21-9-2015 by Dan Vizine]

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa

Go To Top