Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Constructing a vacuum chamber
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-10-2015 at 16:34

You know, I may just try out the pressure cooker after all. I don't think it would be too difficult to layer the aluminum with some form of protection from corrosion. It would also be much more spacious than a PVC pipe. I see a nice for-parts one on the Goodwill website, shipped to my door for $7; I really can't refuse that. I'll see what I can do with it.

Also, I'm not sure that the vacuum you describe is a very strong vacuum - it is only caused by the contraction of the gas inside the cooker upon cooling. Some calculations would probably reveal how strong of a vacuum it is, but I don't really feel like doing them.

EDIT: I misread, shipping is actually $15. Still, might be worth a shot.

[Edited on 1-11-2015 by Upsilon]
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 31-10-2015 at 18:51

If you cool the pot to 45 C before opening you are pulling 90% vacuum, a perfect vacuum would not contribute appreciably more force.
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-10-2015 at 19:52

Out of curiosity, could wood be used as an insulator in a vacuum? Since there is no oxygen for it to combust with, what happens to it when it gets hot, and what temperature does this occur at?
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-11-2015 at 06:28

To start off with out-gassing while trying to bring down the vacuum could be a nuisance.

Wood will pyrolyze at a high enough temperature (starting at 200 C) even in an inert atmosphere or vacuum (releasing more gases), and suppose the inner surface of the wood gets really hot - and then your break the vacuum to end the experiment?

Instant combustion is a real possibility.

There are good non-combustible insulators readily available: fiberglass, loose perlite, cermaic suppliers have a variety of suitable products. I have Kaowool from Seattle Pottery. for example. I see Thermwell As5 Cermic Fiber for $11 on Amazon.
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-11-2015 at 08:19

Ok. I wasn't actually planning on using wood as an insulator, I was just curious about what happens to it when it gets hot without oxygen.
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 18:47

Alright I decided to go for the PVC pipe chamber just for better customization and workability. I have already gotten a 1 foot long section of 6 inch diameter schedule 40 PVC pipe. Wall is 5/16 of an inch thick. Internal pressure rating is 180 PSI so I think it should work just fine for holding a vacuum. I also got a small 1/4 inch thick polycarbonate window. Once I get end pieces for the pipe (one end will just be a cap cemented on wile the other will have a screw cap fitting). I'll cut a hole out of the screw cap to place the polycarbonate window over.

For including a heating element, I have decided to use induction hearing - the only apparatus inside the chamber would be a steel disk. The induction coils will be around the outside of the chamber.

After this I'll need to add some fiberglass insulation sandwiched between the inner wall of the pipe and a layer of aluminum foil. Being in a vacuum, the pipe should remain well below its decomposition temperature with the aluminum foil deflecting radiation away from the walls. The fiberglass is just for added protection. This will also make the heater very very efficient.

Later on I may add onto the design. Something I'll likely do in the future is have some electrode ports for conducting sensitive electrolysis experiments, e.g. sodium from sodium hydroxide. I don't think I'll be giving it inert gas capabilities, especially since having a gas inside the chamber risks heating the PVC too much.
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 17:31

So, uh, I've got an issue - I can't find any PVC caps that fit the pipe I bought. The pipe has a 6.625" (6 5/8") outer diameter and a 6" inner diameter. I went to the local home improvement store and all of their caps were only a 6" inner diameter when I need a 6.625" inner diameter. I can't find squat online either - any help here?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 17:42

What you have is 6" schedule 40 PVC pipe. A 6" pipe cap should fit that. Home Depot claims to have 6" schedule 40 PVC pipe caps: http://www.homedepot.com/s/6%2522%2520PVC%2520pipe%2520caps?...

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 17:49

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
What you have is 6" schedule 40 PVC pipe. A 6" pipe cap should fit that. Home Depot claims to have 6" schedule 40 PVC pipe caps: http://www.homedepot.com/s/6%2522%2520PVC%2520pipe%2520caps?...

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be that simple. I was at Lowes and they had this there:
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-Pipe-6-in-dia-PVC-Cap-Fittin...

However for some stupid reason these caps seem to be 6" inner diameter instead of fitting 6" schedule 40 pipe. Maybe they had the wrong thing in the store - I may try Home Depot next.

[Edited on 7-11-2015 by Upsilon]
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 18:02

That cap is for DWV (drain/waste/vent) and as such may have a smaller ID for the thinner wall pipe than for schedule 40 which is a pressure pipe size.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 18:38

Quote: Originally posted by Upsilon  

After this I'll need to add some fiberglass insulation sandwiched between the inner wall of the pipe and a layer of aluminum foil. Being in a vacuum, the pipe should remain well below its decomposition temperature with the aluminum foil deflecting radiation away from the walls. The fiberglass is just for added protection. This will also make the heater very very efficient.

How hard do you expect the vacuum to be?

The reduced pressure may be less effective as insulation than you think.

People are always surprised to learn that vacuums do not reduce heat conduction through gases *unless* the pressure is so low that the mean free path is larger than the dimensions of the space across which the heat is being transported. (I agree it is surprising - the reason for it is that although fewer molecules are hitting a surface, they carry heat farther, so that it balances exactly.) The ratio of the MFP to the distance scale is called the Knudsen number, when Kn > 1 the low pressure gas acts as an insulator.

Since the MFP at STP is 66 nm this means the pressure must be 0.005 torr to increase the MFP to 1 cm. At 1 torr (5 micron MFP) fiberglass insulation is improved in it insulation value by about 1/3 over atmospheric, which is something - but not a lot. You get the same improvement (1/3) by replacing the air with argon or CO2. To get a really substantial improvement you need to go down to <0.1 torr.

You best bet is pack the chamber with fiberglass insulation pretty tightly - this suppresses convection, reduces the MFP in the insulation, and makes the insulation opaque to radiation conduction (glass is opaque to thermal radiation). A final foil layer against the PVC is a good idea.
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 20:09

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  

How hard do you expect the vacuum to be?

The reduced pressure may be less effective as insulation than you think.

People are always surprised to learn that vacuums do not reduce heat conduction through gases *unless* the pressure is so low that the mean free path is larger than the dimensions of the space across which the heat is being transported. (I agree it is surprising - the reason for it is that although fewer molecules are hitting a surface, they carry heat farther, so that it balances exactly.) The ratio of the MFP to the distance scale is called the Knudsen number, when Kn > 1 the low pressure gas acts as an insulator.

Since the MFP at STP is 66 nm this means the pressure must be 0.005 torr to increase the MFP to 1 cm. At 1 torr (5 micron MFP) fiberglass insulation is improved in it insulation value by about 1/3 over atmospheric, which is something - but not a lot. You get the same improvement (1/3) by replacing the air with argon or CO2. To get a really substantial improvement you need to go down to <0.1 torr.

You best bet is pack the chamber with fiberglass insulation pretty tightly - this suppresses convection, reduces the MFP in the insulation, and makes the insulation opaque to radiation conduction (glass is opaque to thermal radiation). A final foil layer against the PVC is a good idea.

That'll definitely be something to test once I get it built. I have an old 5 CFM 2-stage vacuum pump (an equivalent modern unit seems to be ~$200) so it should pull a decent vacuum, but I won't know for sure until I test it.

EDIT: These new equivalent models seem to claim ability to achieve 0.3 Pascals which is an insanely strong vacuum.

annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 22:24

I'm impressed by your knowledge. The old thermos bottles you used to be able to buy, they were glass with vacuum and silvered to cut down on the radiation...sounds like you're saying they must have had a really good vacuum, about .01 torr. All I ever knew was that they were easy to break.

Any other SF Bay chemists?
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 22:36

Quote: Originally posted by annaandherdad  

I'm impressed by your knowledge. The old thermos bottles you used to be able to buy, they were glass with vacuum and silvered to cut down on the radiation...sounds like you're saying they must have had a really good vacuum, about .01 torr. All I ever knew was that they were easy to break.

Thanks.

Yep. They had really good vacuums, about 0.001 torr in fact.

And, yes, they were easy to break, I remember getting to school in the wintertime as a child and having my heart sink when I heard my thermos of hot cocoa going "slush-slush" when you moved it.

Kn > 1 is also a necessary condition for Crookes radiometers to work (those black and white spinning vanes in a glass bulb). The force that spins them is the black vane surfaces getting warm, and the molecules bouncing off them getting "hot" (gaining kinetic energy and momentum) and depositing that energy on the enclosing bulb. Molecules bouncing off the white sides are cooler, slower, and thus a net torque is generated. If the MFPs were smaller then the fast molecules would collide with other molecules, and the momentum would be redistributed and end up being redeposited on the vane surface, cancelling out the original force.

[Edited on 7-11-2015 by careysub]
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 09:43

Home Depot was even worse than Lowes. Looks like I'll have to be ordering the stuff online and hoping it fits.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 10:38

Do you have an industrial supply business in your community? There's not much need for 6" pressure piping in residential projects.

careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 10:59

See if any companies specialize in sewer line installation in your area. They can be sources for larger sizes. Fitting should not be a problem if the part is available since the sizes are standard.

I have ordered hard to get pipe fitting from Zoro Tools, with good success:

http://www.zoro.com/lasco-cap-6-in-slip-447060/i/G5275243/
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 11:32

I am actually looking at their inventory currently. So, I think the cap will fit. Now I also need a screw cap for the top end of the chamber. I imagine something like this should fit as well?
http://www.zoro.com/genova-cleanout-body-pvc-6-in-41659/i/G6...

EDIT: Ok so these won't work after all - their standard is ASTM D3034 which is for sewer lines. The pipe I have is ASTM D1785.

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 12:46

Stainless steel pressure cookers abound at my Portland Goodwill stores. Usually, about 10 to 20 dollars, when they have 'em. The so called, "Superstore" on SE 6th might be the best place to look.

The sides are round, and the tops are slightly domed. Making the flat bottom the weakest link. One with an Aluminum clad bottom, might be somewhat stronger.

Should be strong enough, to not cave-in under vacuum. But, as always, such things remain to be seen. You'll find out.
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 16:44

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
Stainless steel pressure cookers abound at my Portland Goodwill stores. Usually, about 10 to 20 dollars, when they have 'em. The so called, "Superstore" on SE 6th might be the best place to look.

The sides are round, and the tops are slightly domed. Making the flat bottom the weakest link. One with an Aluminum clad bottom, might be somewhat stronger.

Should be strong enough, to not cave-in under vacuum. But, as always, such things remain to be seen. You'll find out.

It just seemed like a hassle to try and deal with a pressure cooker, since they have 2 layers of metal with a heating element in between. Regardless it's too late now, I've already invested into the PVC design.
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 08:40

Ok, so I have definitely found caps that will work. However, the screw cap isn't going to happen - it costs way too much. Therefore I need some kind of strong ring to put over the other end of the pipe. It would need at least a 6 5/8" outer diameter and around a 5" inner diameter. This would be cemented to the rim of the pipe. Over the hole in this ring, I would place the polycarbonate window. On the window I would use something like a refrigerator door seal so that when the vacuum is pulled, the window will be held fast to the ring.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 09:05

If the open end of the pipe is perfectly flat you can likely just use a flat piece of plywood, metal, plastic or glass of sufficient thickness. Buy a small piece of rubber (say EPDM) and silicone glue it the plate. The vacuum should hold it in place with virtually no leakage. This method is used for bell jars that hold vacuum.

I have bought 1/16" and 1/8" EPDM cut to size at a rubber suppliers.

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 14:23

"It just seemed like a hassle to try and deal with a pressure cooker, since they have 2 layers of metal with a heating element in between. Regardless it's too late now, I've already invested into the PVC design."

We are envisioning different machines. Hereabouts your average pressure cooker is a simple, long handled, heavy gauge, metal pot, with a gasketed lid. Doesn't have double walls, or anything like it. Doesn't have internal heating elements.

[Edited on 8-11-2015 by zed]
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 17:07

Quote: Originally posted by zed  

"It just seemed like a hassle to try and deal with a pressure cooker, since they have 2 layers of metal with a heating element in between. Regardless it's too late now, I've already invested into the PVC design."

We are envisioning different machines. Hereabouts your average pressure cooker is a simple, long handled, heavy gauge, metal pot, with a gasketed lid. Doesn't have double walls, or anything like it. Doesn't have internal heating elements.

[Edited on 8-11-2015 by zed]

Well, regardless I've already started with the PVC project so I'm bound to stick to it. I've ordered a 1/8" thick 8" steel disk that I'll need to cut a hole out of. This relatively small thickness should be cuttable with a propane torch.
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 15:19

Got the cap in the mail today and it fits perfectly. I also should have gotten the steel disk today, but USPS mail people are lazy as crap. It wouldn't fit in the mailbox so they just put in a "Sorry we missed you!" slip in the mailbox, saying that it "requires a signature" (for a $5 piece of steel??). Definitely a load of BS since nobody ever rang the doorbell.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top