Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Homemade electrolysis cell?
antimon
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-9-2015 at 10:31
Homemade electrolysis cell?

Hi guys. I have seen electrolysis cells that have an motorized stirrer, and other ones that you could apply vacuum to. I have thought about what would be the best way to go if one wanted to make one of my own?

What material would it be in? I have a welder, and it would be cool to maybe use the welder in some way.
I have heard that stainless steel are pretty resistant to various acids and bases, but maybe there is a better choice of material.

Also, some sort of plastic would also be good, like PVC, PP. Its not as 'hard' as steel, but i guess it depends on the thickness. And also there can be trouble if you were to heat it.

Glassware, i have seen that many use glassware, but i guess that the glass they use are specially made for the purpose of electrochemistry. I dont feel like, nor have the money to buy the glassware if there are some clever solution to this.

I have more questions, but i have to go and get the kids to bed, but i'll check in later.

Thanks in advance.
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 24-9-2015 at 11:03

What do you wish to make via electrolysis? I do not suggest that you use any metal for the construction, as it would be very easy to short out. Also, the metal construction would be very susceptible to corrosion. Your best bet would probably be to make it from acrylic pipe, or something you can ensure is airtight. When making (per)chlorates, side reactions produce chlorine gas, which can erode the electrodes. I recommend that you design your cell with the ability to see the contents, exchange electrodes regularly, allow for off-gassing, and a power supply between 3-5 V @ 20 A.

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
antimon
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-10-2015 at 03:31

Quote: Originally posted by Detonationology  
What do you wish to make via electrolysis? I do not suggest that you use any metal for the construction, as it would be very easy to short out. Also, the metal construction would be very susceptible to corrosion. Your best bet would probably be to make it from acrylic pipe, or something you can ensure is airtight. When making (per)chlorates, side reactions produce chlorine gas, which can erode the electrodes. I recommend that you design your cell with the ability to see the contents, exchange electrodes regularly, allow for off-gassing, and a power supply between 3-5 V @ 20 A.

I am kinda new to this, and i havent done any electrolysis(es? ) yet. I have just made some colloidal silver in the past.
I should have written what i was planning to do.
I wanted to make a chlorate cell, but also i wanted to make a kind of 'all purpose' cell, but i know that there is no such thing really.

I am looking for a glass jar with a snap-on plastic lid, or some other kind of plastic lid with a gasket that keep tight.
I wanted to also add some sort of stirrer, but i guess you could just use a stir bar. If it is necessary it would be cool to be able to apply vacuum.

I really like the idea of using acrylic pipe like the fuel cells i've seen. Its worth checking out.

Can you make some electrode holders that fits 24/40 glassware in some way?
That would be great. :)
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 13-10-2015 at 07:37

Quote:
I am kinda new to this, and i havent done any electrolysis(es? ) yet.

This will help give you some grounding on the subject.

kadriver
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 14-10-2015 at 07:01

Check this out, I use a stainless steel bowl as a cathode to produce pure silver with an electrolytic silver cell. This video show how to build and operate the silver cell;

https://youtu.be/bici_7jgs1w

Also, if you are looking for a glass cell with a snap on lid then you should look at this video that I produced - it shows exactly what you are looking for;

https://youtu.be/WgprlL-wmCk

Good luck with your cell experiments.

kadriver
antimon
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 02:34

Thanks guys. Kadriver. I will check your links out when i get home later this evening. Should be interesting. :)

I was just thinking about this construction project and it just hit me that i can maybe solve this by inserting my electrodes into stoppers and put them on each of the necks of a three neck round bottom flask, and using the middle one for addition, or whtever?

What do think?
antimon
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 02:34

Thanks guys. Kadriver. I will check your links out when i get home later this evening. Should be interesting. :)

I was just thinking about this construction project and it just hit me that i can maybe solve this by inserting my electrodes into stoppers and put them on each of the necks of a three neck round bottom flask, and using the middle one for addition, or whtever?

What do think?

Go To Top